possible clutch issue - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-08-17, 11:09 AM   #1

Default possible clutch issue

Hi guys/girls hope you can help. Recently while pressing my clutch pedal to drop gears I've noticed what sounds like air leaking from somewhere and last night when setting off to work I applied clutch then put car into gear and noticed the car trying to move back slightly (hand brake was on). Any ideas or help is appreciated. Thanks mike
mikedonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-17, 07:00 PM   #2

Hi all really need help, I have to travel 250 miles at the weekend and need to know if car is safe to drive and if there are any quick fixes
Old 21-08-17, 07:25 PM   #3

Have you checked the brake reservoir oil as that is where clutch gets its supply?
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 21-08-17, 07:34 PM   #4

To be honest your description is so vague its hard to understand what you mean i have a couple of ideas what it could be but really need a better description of the symptom

Does it do it every time you press the clutch and is it coming from the pedal area or is it more a result of pressing the clutch ?

Does it do it if you have the engine off and press the clutch does it do it if engine is running but you are not moving IE just sitting in car pressing it can you hear it every time
Old 21-08-17, 08:18 PM   #5

Fluid is full. It only happens when engine is running and I apply pressure to clutch pedal. it only seems to happen pulling away and stopping in 1st n 2nd gears all seems well when I've got going. When it happens I feel a little vibration and if I have my window down, when breaking in a built up area I can hear what sounds like air escaping coming from under the car when clutch is applied. Sorry if this makes no sense but I've only been driving a year and am clueless when it comes to things like this
Old 21-08-17, 08:29 PM   #6

I recon it might be your release bearing starting to fail if it is your going to need a new clutch im afraid
Old 21-08-17, 08:53 PM   #7

It's started to squeak when I start letting the clutch off now. Bollocks how much will a new clutch set me back
Old 22-08-17, 01:15 AM   #8

So there is no 'air leaking' noise with your foot completely off the clutch pedal?

If you start putting gentle pressure on the pedal, does the 'air leaking' noise start immediately?

If so, I'm with reliable in that your release bearing is failing. If it fails completely, it will most likely destroy the pressure plate so you need to attend to it before you end up with major damage inside the bellhousing.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-08-17, 08:32 AM   #9

No leak noise when off pedal, and I've only noticed noise when pedal is pressed to the floor
Old 22-08-17, 11:41 AM   #10

Open the bonnet and have a listen (with the engine running) while someone pushes the clutch pedal down. Operating the clutch won't make any difference if all is well, if it does make a noise then you need a clutch.
You will need to support the car to get underneath it, and a means to support the engine as the n/s mounting and rear stabiliser have to be disconnected. You will also need torx sockets as well as decent metric spanners & sockets, and set aside a day to get it done. Not a job for a handyman, but within the scope of most diy mechanics.
Whoever does the job don't cheap out on the clutch, LUK and Valeo are well respected brands on this forum, a cheaper alternative might be more expensive in the long run.

Roger.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in