Peugeot 307 Cigarette Lighter Socket removal - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-17, 11:51 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Peugeot 307 Cigarette Lighter Socket removal

Anyone know how to remove the cigarette lighter socket from a 2005 Peugeot 307? If I pull off the gear stick gaiter I can push my hand underneath and feel where the socket is but I can't remove it. Any ideas?
SamuelHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-17, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelHolmes View Post
Anyone know how to remove the cigarette lighter socket from a 2005 Peugeot 307? If I pull off the gear stick gaiter I can push my hand underneath and feel where the socket is but I can't remove it. Any ideas?
Looking at pics online (from a search) it looks like there are springy tabs both on the plastic ring part and the metal barrel.

Pressing them properly in the blind and with limited hand positioning is probably going to be an exercise in frustration. Unless you can undo the whole console it sits in and get free access to the rear of it, it might be less pain to attack the ring/rim from above with pliers/cutters/snips, sacrificing it. (why do you want to remove it?)
Old 19-06-17, 01:58 PM   #3
Inactive User

I had another look at this a couple of days ago. Tried pulling up the cigarette lighter socket but it doesn't want to come out. I need to access it so I can wire in an aftermarket stereo.

Old 19-06-17, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
I had another look at this a couple of days ago. Tried pulling up the cigarette lighter socket but it doesn't want to come out. I need to access it so I can wire in an aftermarket stereo.
Why do you need to get at the cig.lighter?

Might you be able to access the wire by the gear lever gaiter opening in the console(not very familiar with the 307)?

But in my 206 (on the ISO plug)there's permanent +12V as well as 2 different switched +12V lines, one directly controlled by the key and one controlled by the BSI (comes on when unlocking and stays on for a minute or so after locking)
I would imagine it would be the same on a 307.

Peugeot (and on eBay) sells an adapter that's for fitting aftermarket HUs to cars with multiplex - for instance isolates the car's CAN-bus wires from possible outputs on those pins on the HU.
Provides the basic wires needed, but you might (don't recall exactly how it's wired) need to move the switched wire to the position for the switched 12V wire style you want, BSI or key.
If your HU doesn't have an harness with the option to switch the constant and switched +12V lines, the adapter is a good place to do that as well.
Old 19-06-17, 03:56 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtempsch View Post
Peugeot (and on eBay) sells an adapter that's for fitting aftermarket HUs to cars with multiplex - for instance isolates the car's CAN-bus wires from possible outputs on those pins on the HU.
Can you post a link to the sort of thing I'd be looking for? Are they easy to fit? As you have probably guessed I don't really know what I'm doing!
Old 19-06-17, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Can you post a link to the sort of thing I'd be looking for? Are they easy to fit? As you have probably guessed I don't really know what I'm doing!

Looks like 2204 or 2005 is the cutoff between two styles...

Peugeot 106 206 306 307 405 406 607 ISO Stereo Car Headunit Harness Adaptor Lead | eBay

PC2-86-4 Peugeot 307 407 607 807 ISO Stereo Head Unit Harness Adaptor Loom Lead | eBay

I guess you'll need to look at the original HU to see what style connector you've got.

Fitting is plugging one end into new HU and other to the plugs of the car's loom.
(barring a need to move some wire ot two - that requires a very fine screwdriver, stiff thin wire, or similar to poke into the connector (from the pin side) in order to depress little tab[s] the hold/lock the little metal piece in the plastic block.
Once depressed the metal piece can be pulled out on the 'wire' side, the tab[s] flipped up again and the piece pushed into (from the wire side) the block at the right position and it locks in place by the tab)

If you look at the banded connectors in the lower right in the box you can see little flaps laing flat. In this poition the pirce can ho freely in/out of the connector block. Fold it up
__\__ and it will go in but lock against a ledge in the block
====

__'\__ and resist removal due to springyness.
=====
Pushing in an object between the plastic block and the metal, from the side the flap attaches to the rest of the metal will allow it to be pushed back down

I believe there is also a tool specifically for this, but got no link.

There might also be a plastic locking bar that goes across all the pins in the connector block that, if that's the case, needs to be pushed/pulled out first.
Old 19-06-17, 07:59 PM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks for this! I had a look at the two links.

Unfortunately I am still confused. I was under the impression (based on what I've been told by Halfords/people on other web forums etc) that you must NEVER connect an aftermarket stereo directly to a Canbus socket and expect it to get power from the Canbus as it will damage the car. It seemed the general consensus was that you had to tap in a separate power supply, but I don't see any facility for this on either of those two adaptors you showed me - they just look like they plug directly into the car. Am I missing something?
Old 19-06-17, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for this! I had a look at the two links.

Unfortunately I am still confused. I was under the impression (based on what I've been told by Halfords/people on other web forums etc) that you must NEVER connect an aftermarket stereo directly to a Canbus socket and expect it to get power from the Canbus as it will damage the car. It seemed the general consensus was that you had to tap in a separate power supply, but I don't see any facility for this on either of those two adaptors you showed me - they just look like they plug directly into the car. Am I missing something?
CAN-bus <> power

The CAN-bus are only two of the wires in the plug (it's serial communications)
The CAN-bus does not provide power to the HU.
It's only for messaging. Power, constant and switched, and ground, are provided on dedicated wires.
The aftermarket HU might put out static voltages on the the pins that the OEM HU uses for the CAN-bus - which would block the bus, not allowing communication between other units on the same bus.
Therefore the adapter does not connect those pins from the plug that goes into the aftermarket HU to the socket the car's plug goes into.
Old 20-06-17, 07:54 PM   #9
Inactive User

So are we saying that the adaptor cable CAN supply power to the aftermarket HU?
Old 20-06-17, 09:04 PM   #10

Quote:
So are we saying that the adaptor cable CAN supply power to the aftermarket HU?
I've got Peugeot's version of the first adapter linked (ISO-ISO) and it certainly powers my aftermarket HU, which however draws less power than the stock HU as it doesn't have any internal power amplifiers (all speakers are powered by a 6x75W amp in the trunk). If there is enough power available for a higher powered HU or not, I don't know.

Even if not, I'd say they'd be good as to isolate the CAN-bus and would provide a convenient place to connect the feed from a fuse-tap by cutting the wire in the middle, between the plugs, and connecting the tap-feed to the cut wire from/to the HU end of the adapter. Isolate the other side of the cut (shrink tube/tape etc)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in