Is this normal? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-18, 04:41 PM   #1

Default Engine cutting out, fuel smell in cabin.

Hi,

Peugeot 307 2006 1.6i Petrol
Current mileage: 75,000 miles
Last MOT: April 2018 - Pass, no advisories. Emissions results posted below.
Last major service: 58k (Peugeot dealer)
Last minor service: 68k (Peugeot dealer)

I have noticed a petrol smell when performing heavier braking and from reading these forums I think itís something to do with the EVAP system. It was quite strong yesterday when the fuel was low (hit the orange light) and weather was warm.

Random note: Iíve been trying to find the location of the fuel pump access hatch and noticed what looks like a weld in my boot floor? Itís the darker patch with the slight honeycomb texture. What is that? Itís the same under the spare tyre. It almost looks like the boot floor has been repaired??
Attached Thumbnails
b2efda93-4da2-439e-a06b-7c47090b9306_1532795697494.jpg  

Last edited by Will89; 04-08-18 at 07:44 PM.
Will89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-18, 12:08 PM   #2

Before you delve into taking the car apart just check the seal on the fuel filler cap. It sounds like fuel vapour is escaping from the tank, worse when the tank is low and the weather is hot is typical. Always worth checking the simple things first, if it is a more involved problem you will have only wasted a couple of minutes.

Roger.
Old 30-07-18, 07:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
Before you delve into taking the car apart just check the seal on the fuel filler cap. It sounds like fuel vapour is escaping from the tank, worse when the tank is low and the weather is hot is typical. Always worth checking the simple things first, if it is a more involved problem you will have only wasted a couple of minutes.

Roger.
Hi, thanks for replying! I've since filled up but the filler cap was on properly when I checked just now. I didn't notice any fuel smell when using the car today on my normal commute.

I have also found and checked the seal around the fuel pump but it doesn’t look like the seal has gone, no signs of fuel / damp (see attached). I'm convinced something in the EVAP system is intermittently faulty as I had the depollution system faulty message appear back in May when turning on the car, it was idling rough and the message appeared. Turning the car off and back in quick succession cleared the message and it's been driving ok since, including a long 5hr drive to and from Wales. The same message appeared last year twice, both times no obvious change in the engine performance and the quick turn of / on cleared it that time too. The engine has always started with the first turn of the key and I've never had engine issues apart from that one off in May. The only thing I have noticed is the car has sounded louder and 'rougher' sounding recently when engine braking. I’ve tried using an ELM327 reader but it can’t find any stored fault codes.

I don't think it's any fuel lines as I would have expected the MOT in May would pick this up. Looking at the exhaust emissions test from this MOT my car just passed the Lambda test (attached). My gut is telling me the purge valve or carbon canister.

I'm tempted to pick up a Lexia-3 and Diagbox/pp2000 kit off eBay but the cheaper ones (£50-£70) mention no compatibility with 307. I guess it wouldn't even be able to find any issues as this would have triggered a EML light?

Will
Attached Thumbnails
img_2877.jpg   img_1049.jpg  

Last edited by Will89; 30-07-18 at 09:39 PM.

Old 01-08-18, 07:22 AM   #4

I brought one of the cheap lexia kit off eBay and it does the 307 fine.
patspiercing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-18, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patspiercing View Post
I brought one of the cheap lexia kit off eBay and it does the 307 fine.
I caved and bought one a couple of days ago, it’s been despatched form Hong Kong.

When I started the car yesterday it did start first time but there was a noticeable judder for a few seconds, no EML or anything. It settled quickly and was fine for the drive and the way home.
Old 01-08-18, 09:55 AM   #6

Next you have to learn how to use it I am still a novice with mine, not figured out how to do live data but just use it to turn of the EML due to a Anti Pollution fault on the EGR. Car runs great so don't want to tamper with it too much. Plus the EGR is a bitch to get to on the 2.0l HDi 90 RHY engine.
patspiercing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-18, 07:35 PM   #7

Default Update: engine now cutting out

So on my way home today my engine cut out on me. The engine was up to temperature and I was near the end of my 13 mile commute. At first I thought I stalled the car but the electrics were still going, no lights or warnings appeared. I restarted the car and carried on the journey home. I've tested the car whilst stationary at home and it stalls when revving the engine, I managed to get a video:

YouTube video

The slight increase in revs at 15 seconds was not me on the accelerator. The car had been idling for 5-7 minutes before. Again, I noticed a smell of fuel.

Any thoughts on what this could be and whether it's related to the other issues mentioned above (petrol smell, intermittent depollution system faulty)

Last edited by Will89; 04-08-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 08:37 AM   #8

Default Update: car won’t start

Hi!

The car wouldn’t start this morning! As soon as the engine starts it cuts out moments later as per the video.
Old 05-08-18, 10:37 AM   #9

You mean it starts but does not run continually I think. So it is getting petrol in bits. Is the fuel pump in the tank on the blink I wonder. Or is the fuel filter due a change?
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-18, 10:58 AM   #10

Yes, the engine starts but promptly stops. The fuel filter can’t be changed apparently, it’s an integral bit of the fuel tank from what I’ve read.

A few other sites are mentioning the engine coolant sensor could be at fault but this was changed last year with part 1338.C1

Symptoms I’ve noticed previously which could be related:

1) Intermittent depollution system faulty
2) occasional smell of fuel in the cabin.
3) Juddery start once or twice which did trigger a depollution system faulty message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in