new coil springs KYB - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-11-17, 02:00 PM   #1

Exclamation new coil springs KYB

I’ve recently purchased from an online vendor a pair of replacement coil springs for my 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6 petrol: KYB RC2348.
However, when the springs are aligned on the table the ends are off by at least an inch (please see pictures attached). The Peugeot 307 top strut mount bearing sits at a certain angle which is determined by the top end of the coil spring, which is aligned with a mark on the rubber cup.
Is this a manufacturing fault of the springs and how is this going to affect fitting and later handling of the car?
The old springs removed from the car are identical, starting and finishing exactly in the same spots.?!
20171121_102505.jpg

20171121_103001.jpg
KJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-11-17, 04:47 PM   #2

Default Send them back but get replacements first

I think you should ask vendor to send replacements and when you get another two to create a matching pair ... return the faulty ones if they need them
THEbay allows you to contact seller and use photos within message and hopefully they will acknowledge the fault

They are a bloody chew if you haven't got a professional compressor
my old tool was just short but I got them in eventually

Last edited by Clansman; 28-11-17 at 04:53 PM.
Clansman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-11-17, 06:00 PM   #3

Unhappy

I got another pair from a different seller (Nordic this time) but these are all over the place as well!?!
Nowhere near the original ones taken off the car (in terms of the cut off points) and far away from being identical.
Is it the case that the ebay vendors sell poor quality, aftermarket coils and the only way to get a quality coil is to go directly to Peugeot?

I also questioned the first pair directly with KYB, let's see what they reply.
20171117_183106.jpg

Old 28-11-17, 07:24 PM   #4

Default Give them a phone call ? or Euro ?

Well when I wanted that plastic fuel pipe on the back of the 1.4 HDi it was 125 from a stealer and 40 quid from spain I took the chance and it came broken and was poor quality
Went to the stealer and he gave me it trade at 100 and it was far better quality

When my wifes C3 broken a front spring it was cheaper at a stealer and so was the strut ... but as it was only 3 years old was hard to cross reference but when you got in it was a standard generic part for many models as then it had the part number on it ....

Just to add... they are probably made out of the same factory and boxed for many supplier ?
I bought some recently for my 307 rears as the new ones I fitted two years ago are really rusty and pitted and have seen them as MOT advisory
But when the weather is warmer hoping to renew them when I do the rear arm bushes
Never checked them as they where so cheap 11 delivered and came in a bag no box so tomorrow I will be checking them too

Last edited by Clansman; 28-11-17 at 07:29 PM.
Clansman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-11-17, 07:20 AM   #5

Have you tried German eBay? The parts usually list the OEM numbers to make buying easier and German trading standards are really hot on quality and fakes. If you don't speak German, it just means a bit more sorting through to find what you want
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-11-17, 09:03 AM   #6

This is the sort of thing you get when you shop online for car parts. You can get cheepo Chinese rubbish,same with Ebay,why do people bother??. I do realize that in some countries and locations its the only way now.Here in the UK we have companies like GSF who can supply O/E parts off the shelf at very competitive prices. I`ve been buying and fitting car parts,mainly Peugeot/Citroen, professionally for over 30 years.Anyone in the business gets to know the O/E brand names,say Bosch etc. In other words I have always tried to fit the parts that Peugeot fit at their factory.Remember these parts are safety items.
For example GSF can supply a pair of Lesjofors or Sachs coil springs for a 307 for about 80.

By the way,do you know that Peugeot will replace coil springs up to 10 years old or 100,000 miles,under warranty. There was a thread about this on here about a year ago.
Old Pug is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-11-17, 01:15 PM   #7

Are the new ones the exact same length unsprung? If you fit them with the top seated right with weight on they will twist as they compress until the lower seats at the stop.
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-11-17, 03:53 PM   #8

Here is another picture for comparison. The middle ones are old, taken off the car, nice and straight, identical (shorter than new ones but i guess due to years of sitting compressed).
The ones on the outside are new Nordic, not only different to the old ones in terms of cut off points but not even in line with each other!?
coils.jpg

Are you sure they meant to twist that much under load?! Are they designed to twist in that axis or they just wont sit properly and snap in no time due to strain (or/and bend the shock shaft)

Also, what is the actual spring OEM number for 307 SW 1.6 petrol (3H TU5JP4)?

5002.FT
5002.FV
5002.FW?
Old 29-11-17, 05:58 PM   #9

They twist in use that is why they have the stops in the first place!
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-11-17, 06:14 PM   #10

They don't twist, they pivot on the top mount bearing! The stop marks are there to correctly align the spring on the strut so it can pivot freely on the bearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in