Peugeot Forums banner

MOT Testers

4K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  border_all 
#1 ·
Dont suppose there are any MOT testers on here?

Was going to remove my DPF but have read on the net that new MOT tests will require testers to check for DPF delete in the ecu etc, just wanted to ask whether there is any truth in it or not?

Cheers

#2 ·
Could be well off the mark but AFAIK the only requirement is a physical check that the DPF container is present. This doesn't require the DPF being removed to check the it hasn't been drilled or an ECU check which would probably be beyond the average MOT stations capability.

G
#5 ·
I spoke to an MOT tester a while ago - he did say they were more strict on the cars made after 2008, and my cars have passed MOTs for 4 years no problems with a hollowed DPF.

Removing the DPF is of course making your car unroadworthy and you must tell your insurance company blah, blah, blah...:cool:

Currently the test for diesel smoke isn't about the particles from the diesel so DPF won't affect the results, however the government will soon be cracking down on 'dirty' diesels :nono: so the goalposts will be moved again and again until we all buy an environmentally un-friendly Prius

#7 ·
DPF deleted in the ecu is NOT checked for all that is looked for is the presence of the actual DPF !!

Whether it works or not is irrelevant as there is no testing of its functionality only physical presence its another pointless addition to the test just like the towing socket test !

#8 ·
DPF deleted in the ecu is NOT checked for all that is looked for is the presence of the actual DPF !!

Whether it works or not is irrelevant as there is no testing of its functionality only physical presence its another pointless addition to the test just like the towing socket test !

I never even knew they tested the tow socket guess mine must work ok. My hollow DPF passed last year ok I take each year as it comes but my fingers are crossed for May with a 1.6hdi more worried about sludge in the oil

#11 ·
When DPF removal was all the rage a year or two ago I remember people being quite upset that nobody had made a pass through pipe for Peugeots, so they had to crack open the filter and gut it.

Turns out it may have been a good thing after all!

#13 ·
What I can't seem to figure out is that a 90 bhp car without a factory DPF is ok to be driven around spewing out these PM's but the same age, same model but 110 bhp or higher with a hollowed out DPF, spewing out the same amount of PM's isn't ok to be driven around.

Yes I accept the difference in BHP may make some insignificant difference but a lot of the extra horses are achieved through mapping. If the two variants burn a similar amount of diesel than surely any particulates produced must be similar to both cars.

The Prius has a much higher published fuel consumption than many pure diesels so while they may be eco friendly in the sense that there are less pollutants coming out of the exhaust they are less eco friendly in that they burn more fuel.

The report in the link states that DPF's could increase the average lifespan by a whole six months if they could reduce these emissions to a certain level or by twenty days if they cut the emissions by a smaller amount. Yippee Do. If they were talking in years rather than months or days then we'd be talking a significant impact.

#14 ·
Thing is the Government and do gooders all think we should never die, you can be riddled with disease or begging to die and they still say its ethics keeping you alive against your permission.

How can anybody trust a word we are told don't eat chicken eat chicken, eggs bad for us good for us, buy diesel now don't buy diesel all that and after you follow their guidance and guidance was wrong it's us they punish its political correctness gone mad more so when the UK must lead the way says who !

#15 ·
The tester can easily tell if the filter has been tampered with, as the smoke test will probably show this. With my 110 hp diesel the smoke test shows zero, but it would not if the dpf were not there. There would be a risk of a fail if the smoke test result was too high and the tolerance is now quite low.

#16 ·
Well said. If the tester is doing their job properly they will know it's been tampered with. You can tell a proper factory weld compared to repair one.

I know these DPFs are a pain and cause owners grief and I do see their point on removal but as said earlier the department of transport will be bringing the MOT up in line with Germany who's rules are even tighter.

Again probably a pointless addition to the motor car but how many owners don't moan about paying less road tax, as their oil burner throws out less emissions. I know what I would rather have personally. :D

G
#21 ·
Surely the car will only need to pass the level it was intended to pass at its year of manufacture?

What about classic cars? What about cars from the Eighties, hot hatches etc?

Will these cars be deemed unroadworthy in a couple of years time?

I would rather drive my £200 per year to tax 406, than some bland, gutless and anonymous Eurobox which is Tax exempt..

#23 ·
can i ask a serious question

my 2001 307 looks to have had a bypass pipe fitted on the dpf. it seems to have gone through an mot recently

how does a garage know if a certain car should have dpf or do they just look after a specific year

#26 ·
Hi Monty, merry Christmas

Did the 01 have a Dpf fitted if so when the tester puts your details in the pc connected into dvla it will almost certainly tell them if you should have the filter

As mentioned as long as it looks as if it's there and crucially it passes the emission test for the year of manufacture it will pass.

I find it hard to credit a car with a fully functional dpf system that is getting near regen won't send out more emission than if it's a few miles after it did a clean cycle

#29 ·
Lol my guess for me is if / when it failed the emissions test I would sell mine for spares or the scrap yard in the sky, doubt I would risk an egr dumping everything back in 3 ltrs of oil or the turbo.

My next appointment for MOT is May like all things in life just keep my fingers crossed when the EU cat 6 emission comes in force for new cars running a diesel will be an expensive business

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.