Low fuel pressure. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-09-17, 03:52 PM   #1

Hey guys. Still struggling with this car. My turbo is boosting great. Sounds amazing and dumps really loud but it's not getting the fuel pressure. I've looked everywhere for leaks and can't find one. The primer won't stay hard for more than a few seconds and if you pump it hard you can hear a whine coming from around the egr valve area next to the pump. I saw a little air bubble in the fuel feed and pumped it to the pump inlet then watched it come back down about 6 inches and stop there and the primer is soft again. I'm assuming it's a leak between the filter housing and the hp pump but it's not sucking in any noticeable air. When the car is ticking over you can squeeze all day and it won't go hard at all. Any ideas? And this whine around the egr is confusing me. It only happens when you squeeze the thing like crazy to build pressure and seems to accumulate a bit of oil/diesel mix on top of where the egr blanking plate goes? Wiped it down twice in 2 days.

Ps: I checked the same thing before the hand primer and it's holding fuel to this point so the one way non-return valve is fine.

PPS: I want to give as much info as possible here so here goes. Engine sounds like a bag of spanners in the dead spots and it's never ever puffed out any black smoke. Even when I'm thrashing it.
Attached Thumbnails
20170921_090936_1506527892744.jpg  

Last edited by SlashProm; 27-09-17 at 04:21 PM.
SlashProm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-09-17, 05:52 PM   #2

I would have thought that the fuel would leak out as opposed to air going in the fuel line!
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-09-17, 05:58 PM   #3

Same here. But I can't see the leak. I assumed it would be where the low pressure side meets the top of the pump but it's dry. I can hear it leaking from a very small gap somewhere. It must be tight because it whines but no joy in seeing it. I can't think where it could be coming from between the pump and egr valve. It should hold pressure in the bulb though right? I bled out all the air from everywhere and primed up to the pump but it still doesn't fire straight away. I thought I'd be seeing it leak out but its a mystery.

Old 27-09-17, 06:08 PM   #4

The fuel wont leak on the low pressure side unless you are priming it it will pull air in as its under vacuum BUT what you describe does not sound like a problem as the primers dont generally go hard on these and if the leak was bad it simply would not start or cut out

Most common reason for leaks are the spill pipe connections but they are a pain to get at as im sure you now know everything you want to get at on this engine involves removing other parts first !
Old 27-09-17, 06:47 PM   #5

Is that where they meet the red connector behind the doser? It was a little wet there but I assumed it's just contaminated braiding. Here is a video of the sound described. It's not much better after bleeding but the turbo is getting louder and it went up an octive before like 15 psi sort of beautiful noise lol. Not making much more power though so I assume lack of fuel. My dad seems to think I need to put a pipe on the filter bleed valve and bleed again. He is convinced that air is trapped in the filter. I'm under the impression it would just fire though the pump.

https://youtu.be/Ueuxj0J1hWU

I can hear it fine with headphones. Hope this helps.

Last edited by SlashProm; 27-09-17 at 06:52 PM.
Old 27-09-17, 07:10 PM   #6

Btw I don't mind stripping it. I can get the window undertray, battery and tray and the airbox assembly to turbo off in about 15 minutes. Doser slips off with 2 bolts and loosening the other. But you know all this anyway. Is it worth replacing the piping?

Ps: if your referring to the leak off pipes they have new o rings and I have cable tied them to the injector plastic for good measure. Wells have been dry for months now

Last edited by SlashProm; 27-09-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 27-09-17, 07:41 PM   #7
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

FWIW here are some facts from my experience, in case they're relevant.

On both my 406 (Siemens 90) and 407 (2.2 HDi (Bosch)) the priming bulb never stays hard, there is a massive bubble when the engine is stopped, and there are bubbles when the engine is running. This appears to be 'normal' (i.e., 'French').

On the 406 the fuel filter housing would sponteneosuly leak and tightening the top sorted it; typically it would stop shortly after staring. On the 407 one of the four connectors to the fuel filter is bizarre (i.e., 'French') and is liable to damage when trying to replace the filter.

I recently had low pressure faults on the 407, including the engine cutting out when clog on the floor. A fuel filter (which was at nearly twice the service interval) sorted it.
rwb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-09-17, 07:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the insight. I changed the fuel filter when I got the car and a new o ring. It takes 4-5 seconds to start after an overnight rest but then starts straight away the rest of the day even if still cold. It has no bottom end torque. No pull back into the seat and is worse under load. Hesitates when leaving a junction unless you ride the clutch and sounds like a bag of spanners. Plus 25 or so mpg on average and if you park up on idle in the rain on a slight camber, well you've seen the leak lol.

PS: It's the hdi xsi 136. 2.0l RHR for those not familiar with this nightmare of mine lol.
Old 28-09-17, 08:10 AM   #9

Car threw p3007 this morning. Camshaft position sensor- No signal. It's a new sensor and unplugging it does nothing. I'll have to check the connection and wiring out. May have found my leak. Like you said. Spill pipes. Number 3 needs the cable tie nipping up. Would bad info from a leak off pipe cause hesitation as it gets the wrong info from fuel trims and leans out or is it more likely cam sensor wiring? I would have thought unplugging it would stall the car but obviously not.

Last edited by SlashProm; 28-09-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 28-09-17, 11:51 AM   #10

My 307 did this. PTFE tape on all the fuel pipe connectors fixed it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in