Knocking / tapping / clunking over bumps - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By edd1
  • 1 Post By Gibbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-12-11, 07:34 PM   #1
Bod
Inactive User

Default Knocking / tapping / clunking over bumps

307, 2004, 2.0 HDI 110 Hatch

Yes, I know what you're all thinking

It had a pretty terrible clunk when I got the car a few weeks ago, mainly when turning left a bit and going over bumps.

Turns out it was the offside balljoint (just passed MOT too!). Replaced and was then fine fine.
However, another knocking noise has appeared a couple of days after that.

Not as violent but much much more persistent. Does it over most small irregularities in the road. Only started after the balljoint was done. I did toy with the idea it might be some sort of engine shield underneath just flapping and banging on the driveshaft / axle or something.

As a driver it sounds like its coming from the offside, and as a passenger, it sounds like it's coming from the nearside. Mostly offside though.

I parked the car up before with full lock on and put my hand behind the wheel.
Upon feeling the droplink, I can twist the bar slightly in a rotational direction. Only about 1/8th or less of a turn, but it moves. I can't get the actual joints to play about beyond what they do when twisting like that.
The rubbers are also, how can I put it, fluffed out of one side of the joint?
They look sturdy inside the joint, but on one side, theyre puffed out next to the joint....That's the best way to describe it.

Haven't looked underneath to check the rollbar bushes.

Also, when the clutch is at biting point I can hear / feel a knocking / juddering from the engine which I think is the exhaust....possibly a loose mounting? (Can smell exhaust fumes on cold startup in the cab if the fans are on, unless air circulation is enabled).

And when the engine rocks it squeaks (I think that could be the exhaust too).

It's a bugger to get under the bonnet to check though, everything is just so crammed in!
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-12-11, 11:52 PM   #2
Inactive User

hey im no expert but iv had a fair few knocking over the years. to be honest with you it could be 101 things your best bet is to get it checked out.

could be. Engine Bushes, cv joints, stearing arm, rod ends, gear box, clutch, even to a brake cable rubbing.

i think if you want to try find it your self would be best to check the C.V joints First, check the rubber shoe is all intact and no holes. then take off the clips holing the rubber shoe on. and pack some Grease in there TONS of it. go for a drive see if this has help. p.s put the shoe back on with either the clips it came with of zip ties.

Sorry about my gramma and spelling.
valo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-11, 08:39 AM   #3
Inactive User

Hi!

I had exactly the same problem, I had the anti roll bar drop links replaced and problem solved! I brought them myself and had a garage replace them as the old ones can be tricky to get off ( I had a go myself first).

It seems to be quite a common problem on the 307.

Cheers
Eddie
jozzyman likes this.
edd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 16-12-11, 09:13 AM   #4
Stubbo

I'll put my vote in the droplink box as well, even going over a stone the size of a pea made a clunk for me!

You can get a pair for about 13 quid off ebay

One of my old ones didnt have any noticable play at all but it was the cause!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-11, 02:17 PM   #5
Bod
Inactive User

Well I've bought the droplinks from my local motor factor this afternoon. 12 quid each.

The rubber is in the same position as the one on my car (bulbous out of the back), but it's firmer than the one on the car.
Also, if I hold the nut/bolt shaft on the droplink, there's no play at all, so I'm sure it could be the droplinks.

Would it be worth getting them to do the rollbar bushes at the same time?
I asked for them from the local shop and they looked it up and there are two sizes, 21mm and 22mm. No idea which I need.
Old 16-12-11, 08:23 PM   #6

Hi,If you're going ahead and having your drop links done i'd definately have the anti roll bar bushes done at the same time as its a really simple job and probably won't make too much difference to the labour charge,if the bushes are worn this would also cause your clunking,so just to be on the safe side get it done
Old 17-12-11, 07:49 PM   #7
Inactive User

Drop links and steering arms.

Had this problem before and these fixed it.

Does your wheel steering wiggle when you are driving 80MPH or more?
If it does then it is your steering arms.
Torero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-12-11, 09:51 PM   #8
Bod
Inactive User

Can;t say I've noticed it...
That's because I never do 80mph hehehe

Hopefully the droplinks and bushes will solve it.

I had a feel of the offside droplink before again, and I can wiggle it. So either the nuts are loose or the droplink bushes are worn.

When buying the rollbar bushes, I bought 2 x 22mm and 2 x 21mm just incase.
Old 19-12-11, 05:37 PM   #9
Bod
Inactive User

All sorted!

Took it in today, they replaced the droplinks, and put the 22mm rollbar bushes on.
Drive home as smooth as a baby's botty.
Old 19-12-11, 07:17 PM   #10

I get a similar noise, but mine comes from the rear passenger area and it sounds very much inside.
jmkent likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in