Knocking noise on partial turn - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-05-18, 11:08 PM   #1

Default Knocking noise on partial turn

Hello again gents I'm having an issue with a knocking noise on partial turn at low speed and at stand still accelerating off at junction's,due to parts deterioration and not advisorys the drop links,lower,tie rod ends, ball joints and driveshaft have been replaced which I was hoping would have killed two birds with one stone so to speak but its not been the case I also have slight play at 3 and 9 o'clock on the drivers right offside the only thing I can think it is would be the top strut what do you think?
Andys307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-05-18, 11:38 PM   #2

Not sure, usually I would suspect a driveshaft with knocking while turning and accelerating but you've already done that... In my experience a worn strut top would be felt 12 and 6 o'clock when rocking the road wheel unless very worn. Try putting it on a "one man test" (ATL) mot ramp to utilise the rigorous shaker plates to check them or have the vehicle jacked up and simulate driving it on the road while an experienced individual takes a look underneath for evidence of the noise. Also worth double checking all nuts/bolts have been tightened and just as importantly, that they have all pulled up flush against there mated faces.
CpLuAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-05-18, 11:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply,its in for its mot in a few weeks so I'm hoping it'll be identified then but I will check to make sure every thing is mated,I must stress only the offside driveshaft has been replaced is there the chance the noise is travelling across? The strange thing is its not happening on full lock which would have pointed to the shafts,would a wheel bearing cause the 9-3 play?
Andys307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 30-05-18, 09:23 AM   #4

Hi, with the play in the road wheel i would say again in my experience unless the wheel bearing is very worn it usually starts as play in a 12-6 o'clock direction, it could be that the N/S is echoing across but it could also be a problem with the new driveshaft if it has been fitted incorrectly.
it's unlikely to be picked up during an mot unless the problem is obviously noticeable or affecting a testable item as the vehicle does not need to be road tested during the test and if they do hear it they may just put a note on the certificate of a noise heard when turning wheel etc. If you are on good terms with the garage it is worth asking them to check for the fault while it is there and on a ramp after the mot has finished.
Some noises can be very time consuming and costly to locate as you are finding But I'm sure you will get there, for me it usually ends up being something frustratingly simple! Good luck.
CpLuAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-18, 01:38 PM   #5

Are all wheel nuts correctly torqued?
madbadandold is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-18, 06:40 PM   #6

Is the large nut securing the driveshaft to the hub tight? Needs to be FT..
Is the driveshaft correctly located/seated into the gearbox?
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-18, 07:12 PM   #7

Also check the rack mounting bolts are tight and antiroll bar bushes and clamps/carriers.

Its often worth greasing the clamps where the fork section hooks over the bar as these can cause a knock as they move they were fitted with a thin rubber shim when new but it wears away
Old 30-05-18, 07:15 PM   #8

Might also be a broken spring or spring shifting in the carrier if rubber cushions are worn out.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in