Intermittent choking and jerkiness from a 307 HDI 16V 2.0 Litre - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-05-16, 01:16 PM   #1

Exclamation Intermittent choking and jerkiness from a 307 HDI 16V 2.0 Litre

Iím currently suffering from a strange issue with my 307, when accelerating through gears 1-3 at around 1500 RPM Ė 2000 RPM the car will intermittently jerk as if there were a loose of power. The jerks have been getting worse over the past couple days and the car wonít accelerate smoothly. Iíve noticed the problem isnít present when I drive the car as if Iíd nicked it, only when I drive and accelerate Ďnormallyí do I feel the acceleration choke. Also, there are no warning lights on the dash and the car gets used mostly for commuting to work (15 miles round trip).

I put the car into my local garage 1 week ago and they mentioned an injector plug was slightly loose which they reattached and secured, this hasnít fixed the problem though Taking the car back at the end of this week for another look.

This is my first car so I donít have much of an idea what could be going wrong, searching online has thrown up various causes but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar or knows of a potential fix?

Cheers,
Tino

Last edited by Tino; 31-05-16 at 01:26 PM.
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-05-16, 07:21 PM   #2

I'd look at injectors, I'd also look at fuel filter and make sure there aren't any leaks.

Also try to get some live date from someone with Peugeot Planet or Diagbox, you may be able to find someone on here local to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-05-16, 10:40 PM   #3

Check the yellow join connector about 6 inch from the end of the high pressure sensor on the common rail also check the wire because it's know to get diesel on it and diesel corrodes wires

Old 31-05-16, 11:29 PM   #4

the computer will tell you more but I would be looking at the EGR and DPF mine had a jerky feel when driving around town and I blanked the EGR off and it felt a lot better after the DPF was removed it was smoother to drive and better again this could be down to the mild remap as well
CMax_307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-16, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymarsbar View Post
I'd look at injectors, I'd also look at fuel filter and make sure there aren't any leaks.

Also try to get some live date from someone with Peugeot Planet or Diagbox, you may be able to find someone on here local to you.
At risk of sounding completely clueless could a dirty injector causing jerkiness potentially be fixed by some injector cleaner like Redex in a full tank?

Since I've had the car (3 months) I've been mostly filling up at supermarket stations, a friend recommended using branded stuff as the fuel is cleaner and won't clog the fuel filter? I'll probably try a tank of V-Power to see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-06-16, 10:06 AM   #6

Possibly, but there are other things that it could be too, so it would need a thorough once over.

A similar thing happened to me when I was being a bit naughty and put a couple of litres of heating oil in the tank after I'd been caught short. The car didn't like it, and had a habit of choking a bit and getting jumpy when steady away in 3rd. So, based on my experiences, it sounds like a fuel issue.

Drop some redex in and take it out for a spin. I would certainly check/replace the filter as well. If that's old and past it's best, it can have a noticeable effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-16, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMax_307 View Post
the computer will tell you more but I would be looking at the EGR and DPF mine had a jerky feel when driving around town and I blanked the EGR off and it felt a lot better after the DPF was removed it was smoother to drive and better again this could be down to the mild remap as well
Unfortunately there isn't anywhere local with a Peugeot Planet to run diagnostics. Closest is in Fife around 2 hours away, though if the problem persists I'll be tempted to take it there!

Took the car for a long drive the other weekend and the car felt absolutely fine, gave it some beans where I could and the problem seemed to have disappeared for a day or two. The city driving seems to be killing it.
Old 01-06-16, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
Unfortunately there isn't anywhere local with a Peugeot Planet to run diagnostics. Closest is in Fife around 2 hours away, though if the problem persists I'll be tempted to take it there!

Took the car for a long drive the other weekend and the car felt absolutely fine, gave it some beans where I could and the problem seemed to have disappeared for a day or two. The city driving seems to be killing it.
you could always buy planet your self and then you could offer it as a service for others
Old 23-07-16, 08:36 PM   #9

Just wanted to give an update of where I'm at with this issue. I used Redex and found there was less judder and the car ran better, this only lasted for a tank or two. I've tried using it again but this time it seems the Redex is making no difference, probably a placebo effect the first time round.

The judder is appearing more frequently and making the drive very uncomfortable. I took the car to a garage this weekend and they've just updated me saying they couldn't find any a cause for the judder but suggested the clutch and flywheel were on the way out. I know these two parts are pricey but have seen on other forums people mentioning the flywheel as a cause to engine judder. The car has 86k on the clock and is 10 years old so is it possible the DMF could be related to my original problem?

I did ask the garage to check all pipework, connections and fuel system for faults but nothing was found. They also checked for error codes with no luck.
mcvite likes this.
Old 23-07-16, 09:45 PM   #10

You'd notice the DMF was failing when the engine starts and shuts down, and when the clutch bites, not so much at the rev range you mentioned. It's quite a violent shaking, rather than a judder, when the DMF fails

At the end of the injectors is a small copper washer seal - if they have deteriorated or become loose, then the injector may not function efficiently, causing a misfire.

Give each injector a clean - they can become gammy, especially if the seals are dud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in