How thin are the front brake discs allowed to be? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-05-16, 04:05 PM   #1

Default How thin are the front brake discs allowed to be?

I just messaured that they are 3mm thinner than originals,on each side...Is that okay?
Ryssen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-05-16, 05:28 PM   #2

the edge of the disc often has min size stamped on it.

3mm is quite a lot is there a visible wear ridge on the discs if so as they are not that expensive I would replace them
Old 14-05-16, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
is there a visible wear ridge on the discs if so as they are not that expensive I would replace them
Yes there is a wear ridge,maybe I should change them..

Old 14-05-16, 07:39 PM   #4
Inactive User

I was advised by my friendly mechanic that the disks can be almost paper thin and still pass an MOT... As long as the breaks function as they should on the day of testing, then it'll get a pass (but perhaps an advisory). Not advisable, obviously - I have just had all disks and pads changed for 320 (genuine peugeot parts).
ChrisNevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-05-16, 08:46 PM   #5
Inactive User

when i bought my 207 it was MOT'd the day i bought it. passed fine.

went to look at the brakes; they were corroded on the inside, worn unevenly and very little pad material left. they dont take the wheels off for an MOT so if they look okay through the wheel and pass the braking test then it will pass an MOT no problem.

doesnt necessarily mean its safe though....

i replaced all 4 discs and pads (including rear bearings) for ~150 in parts (pagid parts so fairly reputable). for that price its not really worth messing around
adam19952013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-05-16, 09:17 PM   #6

I would definitely change them.As you know the front discs do the brunt of the work when braking,and for some reason they seem to wear down pretty quick on the pugs.They are not expensive and fairly easy to change,plus the fact with new discs on there will be a nice even surface for the new pads to bed into.
GRAHAM.C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-05-16, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam19952013 View Post
when i bought my 207 it was MOT'd the day i bought it. passed fine.

went to look at the brakes; they were corroded on the inside, worn unevenly and very little pad material left. they dont take the wheels off for an MOT so if they look okay through the wheel and pass the braking test then it will pass an MOT no problem.

doesnt necessarily mean its safe though....
ABSOLUTELY. An mot pass means a car met certain MINIMUM standards ON THE DAY OF THE TEST.
Sorry for shouting, but all an mot really means if you buy a car with a fresh mot is you won't have to pay for a test for a year.
One of the mechanics I work with looked at a car for his son last week. The clutch was slipping but when he pointed this out the seller said it couldn't be because it had just passed its mot and "The garage would have failed it if it was". They didn't buy it.
A car will pass with cracked brake discs that can't bee seen without removing wheels. Or a loose battery hidden by an engine cover. Or rusty structural body parts hidden by plastic covers.
To be sure a car is in good shape it needs to be properly examined by a competent mechanic, if you are capable of doing this it will save you a lot of money, if not then you need to pay someone who is.
I have said a few times on this and other forums, a thorough service with all shortcomings addressed means a car will breeze through an mot. Also it will be fuel efficient and less likely to give unexpected trouble.

OK, rant over.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; 15-05-16 at 09:41 AM.
rustyroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-16, 03:25 PM   #8

Not got my 307 manual to hand but the 308 manual states front disc thickness New - 26mm, minimum 24mm meaning a maximum of 2mm wear on the contact surface so yours are likely less than the specified minimum and need replacing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-16, 04:23 PM   #9

Yes,I went to the repair shop today and on Tuesday next week they are going to change them.
Old 17-05-16, 03:16 PM   #10

They also changed the mot fail criteria on brakes a few years ago because of dodgy garages failing brakes for a bit of extra work.

To all intent now as long as the disks and pads are not in a dangerous state and pass the brake test they can now only pass and advise

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in