Hesitation, smell and smoke - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-17, 03:10 PM   #1

Question Hesitation, smell and smoke

Hi everyone, I would appreciate any pointer to the problems I have with my 307 2003. HDI 2.0 66kW, probably Siemens injection as per web photos.

Couple of things, might be related, might not, it's going to be a long post as I'll try to describe the best I can...

It's hesitant on acceleration, where I would put my foot down and after a second it will pick it up and start revving up and really pick up around 2000rpm mark. If I was to press accelerator repeatedly you could observe obvious lag in regard to what my foot is doing and what engine and rev counted were showing, it just picks up a lot later. Recently I've been driving a 2004. Fiesta with 1.4 tdci when I noticed just how laggy is my car.
This has happened before to me, it was the MAF, I disconnected it and it was perfect, so MAF change it was. It also didn't want to go over 3000rpm in fifth, but now it goes all the way. This time around, nothing really changes with MAF disconnected so I'm assuming it's something else.
Also, while accelerating it sounds a bit different, more roaring like petrol but without actually accelerating. Any ideas?

Second thing is, under hard acceleration/ more aggressive driving or higher rpm going uphill the cabin fills with very intense strange smell, kind of oil burning but with a sweet hint (passenger once described with popcorn smell). If I stop and pop up the bonnet I can see the white smoke (not a lot) coming from behind the engine, behind the big plastic intake tube and it smells just like in the cabin, so that must be it.

Third thing is overheating on long journeys while AC is on and going uphill. It will hit the last mark before the red starts where I would slow down, turn off AC and the temperature would go down. It's been checked by service, fan turns on as expected (first speed one mark pass 90, second speed later), radiator was replaced, flushed, no air, temp sensor (green one) changed, thermostat opens as expected. I had some small leakage and the flush valve on top of the engine but changed the little cap and never happened again. No coolant loss after that.

EDIT: Forgot to say that there is some surging (if that's what it's called) at various rpm, slight pull/won't pull sound and feeling.

would appreciate any ides to these problems or if they might be related to one common fault...

Last edited by quna; 11-05-17 at 03:26 PM.
quna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-17, 05:49 PM   #2
Inactive User

I'm not much of an expert on Peugeot engines as I've only had my 307 for a few months, but that sounds a little like an issue with the head gasket.

Is it loosing oil or coolant at all? Is their a mayonnaise like substance under the oil filler cap?
Old 11-05-17, 06:33 PM   #3

That's what I'm afraid of but there's no mayo on the cap, nothing suspicious in the coolant bottle.
It was asking for a top up coolant every two months thou, but after finding a small leak on the little (flush) valve on top of the engine and refitting it it seems to have stopped losing any coolant, stays at max, I'm checking regularly.
As for the oil, it did lose a lot of oil during last summer vacation cause I pushed it a bit on the highways doing 150kmh where possible, got it checked and mechanic said it's not that strange for a high speed and turbo of that age to burn some oil. I topped it up after that and it didn't lose any since then. So I guess it only burns at high rpm and maybe that's the smell that I smell and see (coming from the turbo location).
quna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in