HDI 2.0 - Smoky emissions, rattling engine, bad performance at low rpm - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-09-17, 07:28 PM   #1

Exclamation HDI 2.0 - Smoky emissions, rattling engine, bad performance at low rpm

Hi there,

I have been having a recurring problem with my 307. After I have been driving it for a while (the exact amount of time has varied from around 3 to 15 minutes) the car begins to emit puffs of smoke from the exhaust when the engine is under acceleration. While this is happening, there is a great reduction of power and an almost "hesitant effect". Also, there is sometimes a rattling noise from the engine, which coincides with the emission of the smoke.

Long story short: put foot down, engine rattles, car doesn't accelerate, smoke comes out, then car suddenly surges forward as it would do normally when the accelerator is pressed. This happens in every gear and is particularly egregious in first when moving off - the performance is so slow and rumbly it's as if I'm setting off in third.

The last time the car started doing this (29th August this year) I put some fuel additive into the tank (Diesel Redex) and took it for a run on the motorway, which seemed to cure the problem as there have been no reoccurrences of the problem until today.

I did notice that this time around the smoke seemed to be a lighter shade of grey than before: this time it was a light, almost chalky colour, whereas before it was a very dark grey that almost bordered on being black. All the other issues (low performance, rattle) were the same, though the rattle was slightly muted compared to before.

I have tried searching the internet and these forums for answers but the information I found was inconclusive; I am wondering if anyone else has encountered such a problem with their car and how the problem was remedied.
TMA_9373 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-09-17, 08:37 PM   #2

Sounds like the EGR valve is not closing properly
Old 27-09-17, 01:33 PM   #3

I had something vaguely similar on my 2.0 hdi. I bought a couple of cans of egr cleaner and sprayed them into the intake following the directions on the tin.

The most frightening experience I've had with a car. The engine sounds like it's breaking apart and loads of crap gets thrown out of the exhaust but after the second can had been used the engine ran a whole lot sweeter without the hesitancy and pickup from stationary was worlds apart from prior to using the cleaner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 29-09-17, 11:06 PM   #4

You could always insert a blanking plate and see if the problem goes away. At least it will confirm the egr. I think it's always better to clean something off the car. I'm not saying intake and egr cleaner isn't made for the job but it enters after combustion. And fuelling through an intake can cause valve seat errosion. Hence the term addicted to easy start.
Old 30-09-17, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashProm View Post
I'm not saying intake and egr cleaner isn't made for the job but it enters after combustion.
Could you please elaborate on that statement. Personally I can't quite figure out where you got that Idea from. You spray egr cleaner into the air intake so it goes in with the air that is being pulled in by the piston on it's downward intake stroke prior to compression then comes the combustion that's how internal combution engines work, suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-09-17, 10:20 AM   #6

Because your egr valve gets clogged up with exhaust gasses and for the cleaner to work it must first become part of the exhaust gas that passes through the valve. Your right about the car pulling it in as air then mixing it but air and gas have different density. The reason it shudders and revs up is because your replacing that air with gas which is more dense than the air and it also acts as a combustion aid. Therefore over/under fuelling the car. Some cleaner may be left after combustion but it wouldn't be as safe and effective as taking it off and de-coking it properly.

Remember. Unless you pulled your egr feed to intake off when you did this. Which is doubtful as a spray can in the intake is for convenience. Where do you think all that crud goes?

Last edited by SlashProm; 30-09-17 at 10:28 AM.
SlashProm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in