Hand brake problem - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-18, 07:44 AM   #1

Default Hand brake problem

I was recently changing the rear discs and pads on my 307. When I fitted the new disc the brakes were dragging. The sliders weren't sticky so I had a look at the piston, when I pealed back the rubber boot it was lovely and clean. I exercised it by pushing it back in with a caliper rewind tool and then pushing it out a few times. I checked when the brake pedal was pushed it came out a little before retracting again as it is supposed to.

What I also noticed was my hand brake arm is not coming back to the stop, however before I changed the other disc I noticed it was the same on the other side. The hand brake level in the car has plenty of travel in it and also a couple of degrees of what feels like free play before you can feel the cable being pulled. If I disconnect the cable from the arm, the arm returns to the stop but with the cable attached it doesn't. Even if I take a hammer and gently tap the arm you can't make it reach the stop with the cable connected.

Should I loosen the cable up even more inside the car?
Attached Thumbnails
img_3820.jpg  

Last edited by 307SW_HDi; 04-09-18 at 08:46 AM.
307SW_HDi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-18, 11:28 AM   #2

had exactly same problem with lever at the wheel not returning properly on the handbrake when i was adjusting both for Mot, both wheels dragged when it was adjusted up to pass test, if i unadjusted it to stop drag it wsnt good enough for test(in my opinion) when i googled the problem, it was and is a known problem and you cant really take the mecanism apart and fix it ,just replace it all! however i decided to get some really thick o rings ,put them around the lever and the stop to pull the lever fully back, it did the job and the mot was passed with nothing mentioned about the o rings(very cheap fix).... i passed the car on to my son in law and asked him if he had any problem with the handbrake dragging since(thought the o rings might have snapped since) he said no..
307SW_HDi likes this.
vincentfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-18, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfish View Post
had exactly same problem with lever at the wheel not returning properly on the handbrake when i was adjusting both for Mot, both wheels dragged when it was adjusted up to pass test, if i unadjusted it to stop drag it wsnt good enough for test(in my opinion) when i googled the problem, it was and is a known problem and you cant really take the mecanism apart and fix it ,just replace it all! however i decided to get some really thick o rings ,put them around the lever and the stop to pull the lever fully back, it did the job and the mot was passed with nothing mentioned about the o rings(very cheap fix).... i passed the car on to my son in law and asked him if he had any problem with the handbrake dragging since(thought the o rings might have snapped since) he said no..
I've ordered these so I think I will slacken the cable then fit them.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-3...72.m2749.l2649

Old 04-09-18, 03:37 PM   #4

I seem to recall having a similar problem on my Xsara Picasso. It looked as though there should have been a return spring on the brake caliper but there wasn't. I fitted one and it cured the problem at least for a while. I ended up fitting new calipers in the end though.
Crickleymal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-18, 03:50 PM   #5

If the levers do not fully return the mechanism in the caliper does not adjust you need to get the levers to fully return either by fitting return springs or loosening the cables sometimes both !

I see cars where people have tightened the cables to fix the handbarake which it does at first but once the pads wear the adjusters dont work and handbrake just gets worse when you tell them to adjust the cable looser they think you are mad till they do it and it works
rustyroger likes this.
Old 11-09-18, 06:42 AM   #6

When I first looked at the brakes the cables looked like this, notice how the left one is a lot looser than the right (the lower cable in the pic)
Attached Thumbnails
img_3863.jpg  
Old 11-09-18, 06:46 AM   #7

I fitted the ebay springs and then backed off the cable until the arms returned to the stops consistently. As you can see the nut is almost as far backed off as it can go. Also the left hand cable is still looser than the right. Initially the hand brake and foot brake were rubbish, but then I'm assuming the adjustment mechanism took the play up as they are now fine.

With regards to the cables is the left hand one stretched, or giving how far I had to back the nut off, has the right hand one been run incorrectly making it over tight?
Attached Thumbnails
img_3869.jpg   img_3864.jpg  
Old 11-09-18, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
If the levers do not fully return the mechanism in the caliper does not adjust you need to get the levers to fully return either by fitting return springs or loosening the cables sometimes both !

I see cars where people have tightened the cables to fix the handbarake which it does at first but once the pads wear the adjusters dont work and handbrake just gets worse when you tell them to adjust the cable looser they think you are mad till they do it and it works
Right on the money. However I have always found if I set up the footbrake properly (with the cables slackened off) then adjust the handbrake cable, I've never needed additional springs.
Over 250+k miles I have only needed to adjust the handbrake cables on my wife's 307 when I replaced them when they broke. Incidentally once a cable broke the day after its MOT test, and the brakes were fine for the test.

Roger.
Old 17-02-19, 08:11 AM   #9

My handbrake feels horrible, it`s sticking slightly and are prone to freezing up in cold weather. It`s time to renew them.

Are both handbrake cables on the 307 the same length/part or is there a left and right?

And the lever return springs on the calipers - mine has none so have they broken and fell off at some point or was there never any fitted to begin with? It seems that a lot of cars were never fitted with these lever return springs?

Anyone got a link to new cables that are good value?
Old 20-02-19, 08:22 PM   #10

I brought mine from
Euro car parts there are slightly different on some models but not sure on the 307

The springs should be replaced if you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in