Front brake binding, help needed. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-13, 12:35 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Front brake binding, help needed.

Hi all again, another post from me about brakes!

I had my discs and pads changed on the front not 4 months ago. I didnt buy the expensive types. I never brake hard and havent done since I got the brakes fitted.

When jacked up on the front end, the nearside brake seems to rub the disc enough to need a fair bit of effort and 2 hands to rotate the wheel. The offside spins at least 1 rotation when tried, this feels normal to me.

Ive had a mechanic back the pads out (apparently) but they've moved back and its rubbing hard again. Could this be a sticky caliper? The disc isnt apparently warped and from the amount of time ive had it and used it, Id be surprised if it was.

Any ideas or tips for loosening up the caliper?
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-13, 08:23 AM   #2
Inactive User

You could try removing the caliper and cleaning it out could be a stuck cylinder
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-01-13, 10:47 AM   #3

Whilst the caliper is off, try putting the wheel back and spin it again to test the wheel bearing isn't stiff.

With the caliper off or at least disconnected check if the 2 parts are sliding.

On mine recently I found that it wasn't sliding. The 2 slider pins were different. One was a solid pin and the other had some sort of rubber sleeve at the end and each time I put that pin in, the rubber slid up the pin causing it to stop sliding.

I took the rubber sleeve off and it started sliding. It's back in for re-test awaiting outcome.

Old 20-01-13, 04:37 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwell View Post
Hi all again, another post from me about brakes!

I had my discs and pads changed on the front not 4 months ago. I didnt buy the expensive types. I never brake hard and havent done since I got the brakes fitted.

When jacked up on the front end, the nearside brake seems to rub the disc enough to need a fair bit of effort and 2 hands to rotate the wheel. The offside spins at least 1 rotation when tried, this feels normal to me.

Ive had a mechanic back the pads out (apparently) but they've moved back and its rubbing hard again. Could this be a sticky caliper? The disc isnt apparently warped and from the amount of time ive had it and used it, Id be surprised if it was.

Any ideas or tips for loosening up the caliper?
Last caliper i did i took it off completely and dropped it in a container of used engine oil overnight. Freed it right up
Old 20-01-13, 08:55 PM   #5
Inactive User

Ok, thanks guys.

I might take the pads out, spray up the pistons with WD40, wind the pistons back in and put the pads back in...

Will update once done!
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-01-13, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roky View Post
Whilst the caliper is off, try putting the wheel back and spin it again to test the wheel bearing isn't stiff.

With the caliper off or at least disconnected check if the 2 parts are sliding.

On mine recently I found that it wasn't sliding. The 2 slider pins were different. One was a solid pin and the other had some sort of rubber sleeve at the end and each time I put that pin in, the rubber slid up the pin causing it to stop sliding.

I took the rubber sleeve off and it started sliding. It's back in for re-test awaiting outcome.
Little update for anyone reading. My car passed its re-test. I'm not sure what the rubber sleeve on the slider is for (that I mentioned above) or if it was the problem that Samwell was having but might be worth a look?
Old 26-01-13, 12:32 PM   #7

Never use WD40 near any rubbers on your brakes the WD40 will in 99% of cases cause the rubber to swell and make the problems worse.

Only use brake fluid on piston seals etc or red brake grease in small quantities and red grease on all external rubbers if needed
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in