Engine Knock - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-07-16, 03:57 PM   #1

Default Engine Knock

Set off for a day out with the missus today, arrived at our destination after an hour of smooth, pleasurable motorway driving, realised that the event we wanted I go to wasn't all that it meant to be and left to find something else to do.

After about 2 minutes at 40mph down an A-road, a flapping noise suddenly appeared, followed by a heavy knocking which could be felt through the whole car.

So, I pulled over and popped the bonnet, the engine was bouncing all over the place, and it sounded as though the piston was smashing against the valve or something.

Got the car recovered home and took a video of the engine for you helpful folks to cast your eyes and ears over.

Video Here

My first thoughts were that the timing belt (which was changed only a month ago) had jumped a tooth or two and the crank and camshaft had fallen out of sync. But, PP2000 says that they're still in sync.

So, what are your thoughts? is it a case of a broken/bent arm, knackered piston....?
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-16, 06:27 AM   #2

Just to add, I've heard it could be a dud injector. I can't imagine this would cause the whole engine to rock backwards and forwards though?

I checked for fault codes on PP2000, nothing was found.

The only anomaly was the injection correction rate was slightly higher what I have previously seen.
Old 18-07-16, 05:01 PM   #3
Inactive User

hi jimmy. i would line up the holes on the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys to the holes behind them. if there in line you should be able to fit them both at the same time

Old 18-07-16, 05:43 PM   #4

Timing can be up to 2 teeth out and still show sync so its not a foolproof check.

Could be broken rocker causing it due to timing jumping a bad injector could cause it too but less likely to be honest

Remove plastic cover then remove black portion of rocker cover and check the rockers carefully.

Some things cannot be fixed using a computer good old fashioned diagnostics is sometimes the only way computers cant see mechanical defects
johnbrander likes this.
Old 18-07-16, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Some things cannot be fixed using a computer good old fashioned diagnostics is sometimes the only way computers cant see mechanical defects
Very true

Unfortunately on this car the engine is a bit awkward to get to, as the rocker cover sits nicely underneath the windscreen scuttle.

I think the likely outcome for this 307 is breaking for spares, just need somewhere to store it. And find a new car now the missus has banned Peugeots....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20-07-16, 05:45 PM   #6

Bit of an update.....

Tried moving off in the car, and the observations are as follows;

At idle, the engine is the same. Ticks over at a steady 800ish rpm, with the knock doing it's thing.

Rev the engine, the knock frequency increases as expected.

Put the car into first, engage the clutch, and as it hits biting point, the clunk becomes muffled (ie. it quietens and is a duller, less sharp sound). Driving off, the clonk picks up volume again slightly.

If I start moving off under extra load (ie. uphill), the car seriously struggles to get moving - the first time I tried moving up this slight incline, I stalled. It was very tangible as to how much it struggled - the proverbial square peg in a round hole comes to mind.

So, at the end of that little experiment, I can quite confidently say that the issue may lay in the crank somewhere, almost certainly the clutch/flywheel.

Rewind a couple of months, I sent the car for it's clutch replacing, as I didn't know how old it was. I assumed that it had the factory fitted DMF and sourced the kit accordingly, but the mech told me that it had the conversion done. So, he sourced a clutch kit based on the clutch he removed and fitted it. After I got the car back, as the clutch was engaged, the car juddered and shook, something which wasn't there before.

The mechanic put it down to the new clutch plate bedding in to the flywheel, and although the juddering and shaking improved slightly, it never went away. He also speculated that the O/S driveshaft was on it's way out, and that was what could be causing the judder.

Tie the clutch saga in to this more recent engine problem, and might we be looking at a dicky flywheel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in