Dual Mass or Solid Flywheel? Opinions? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By davidphilips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-12-11, 08:28 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Dual Mass or Solid Flywheel? Opinions?

Chaps and chapesses-

My 307 (1.6 HDi 110) is in getting the timing belt and water pump done this morning. Mechanic has seen a few of these and said he thinks the flywheel is on the way, not serious yet- but something to think about.

So i have done a bit of reading up on the matter and it seems like if/when the flywheel goes- it can cause a lot of problems, depending on the manner of the failure, so i am thinking it may be better to just get it done while the going is good!

One of the suggestions (on forums, and also from my mechanic) is to replace the dual mass flywheel with a solid one.

As "Pug Experts"- would you recommend this? It seems the dual mass (particularly the Pug one...?) is pants?
If you have gone for the solid flywheel have you noticed much difference? More vibration etc?

Any experience and/or advice is very welcome!

Thanks
ben_reza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-11, 08:38 AM   #2
jmkent

I've had mine replaced, and replaced like-for-like with DMF.

I work by the principle of "if it was there, it was there for a reason", afterall, DMF is more expensive, so Peugeot aren't going to put one on for the sake of it when they are bound to be looking to cut costs during the build.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-11, 10:01 AM   #3
Inactive User

I've literally just swapped my knackered dual mass for solid. Obviously only time will tell but initial impressions are good, the clutch is as light as a feather, no vibrations and ultra smooth. To be honest I'm extremely pleased and its made the world of difference, no squealing/chirping and engine doesn't run on when switched off as it used to.

The kit I bought was from Peugeot directly which suggests to me it must be safe to do else they wouldn't sell it. The price I paid was 260 quid delivered from a Peugeot dealer who advertise on ebay. The pressure plate was made by LUK, not sure about the other bits but all comes in a Peugeot box with single part number for the kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170712302372#ht_1106wt_952

Craig

Last edited by wal750; 29-12-11 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added link
wal750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 29-12-11, 12:09 PM   #4
davidireland

A clutch kit and flywheel from an expert will bolt straight on.
From the 1.6 hdi 90bhp engine.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-11, 05:24 PM   #5

It's there to stop vibrations damaging the drive train - in the low rev range - so you will only notice a vibration as the engine starts and stops. Drive normally and it will last a good while.

Replace like with like.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-11, 08:40 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
A clutch kit and flywheel from an expert will bolt straight on.
From the 1.6 hdi 90bhp engine.
My 2006 HDi XSi 136 has now covered 80k. There doesnt appear to be any probs with the DMF but is it worth replacing it before it goes bang?? Seem to be loads of people with problems with them & to be honest I dont know what the symptoms are or how to tell them

Would you replace it with a DMF or a solid conversion?
Old 30-12-11, 08:06 AM   #7
Inactive User

Question dmf

the inventor of the dmf needs a pull though with a Christmas tree, i know of a lot of ford transit van owners who had there dmfs welded up and balanced and refitted .
the unfortunate thing is modern diesel engines are designed to have these fitted . if t was me i would fit a solid flywheel along with a spring loaded clutch friction plate as fitted to petrol vehicles, but in doing this you will be left with some engine imbalance not noticeable to the driver but may cause internal stresses in the engine ie the timing belt .
there are thousands of conversions driving about with no problems but,
your car your money up to you.
gazjonze666 and karl mcghee like this.
davidphilips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in