Peugeot Forums banner

Dipstick help

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  duckfan 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I got a 1.6hdi, 110 and went to check oil but found the plastic tip was missing off the end. So dont know how much oil is in it. Looked on ebay and all dipsticks are either all plastic or just the tip like mine. Can I get a full metal one, if so where from? Also, is it possible that the plastic end had dropped into sump? Not sure when the end went mising could have happened on last service, 5k miles ago

#2 ·
normally they dont fall into the sump there normally stuck in the bottle of the tube

the 1.6hdis use plastic dipsticks. not sure if a metal one is the same though the min to max is alot bigger on the plastics ones as my other 307 has a metal dipstick

#3 ·
I did read on another site, that its a common fault. I did look on eBay, cant see a metal one anyway. I just hoped that someone may have found anotjer one that would fit that was all metal. I have been told to keep new dipstick in boot of the car and leave broken one in the engine then same thing7ng womt happen again. But if the end has fallen off, wont that block the tube and either get pushed into the sump or prevent a new dipstick fromt going into the pipe

#4 ·
No. I think it was Bettyswollocks on this ere forum who had the same problem. As I recall, the tip is stuck in the pipe - or sits harmlessly in the sump. The oil pickup has a mesh filter on it - so the plastic tip will never get sucked up into the engine.

Memory may however be fading - sweaty?:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.