Coolant Problems - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-16, 01:04 PM   #1

Default Coolant Problems

Hi all i have a 307 hdi 2002 that i suspect may need a new head gasket.
My symptoms are my water level drops but when i remove the cap to top it up there is a back-draft and the water goes back to its level. P/s i dont remove the cap when engines running or within an hour of it running.
After reading on-line and asking around i am hoping it`s an air-lock i have as my oil`s clean and my tempreture gauge sits around 80-90 and my heaters are working. I have recently replaced the cap as my previous one became goosed and started leaking and would not tighten up fully. Then one day it blew off. I had to add 2 pints of water and i opened the bleeder at the thermostat housing until the water looked free of air.
but nothing changed, as my water level still drops about an inch from the Max,after driving the car for 20mins Causing the Stop Message to come on and Bleeping alarm cause my coolant is low. Then when i go to top it up after car`s been switched off for at least an hour, there is a sudden rush of pressure and the water level is back to Max level.
Is there another Bleeder ? I can only locate the one at the Thermostat (black dust cap) Had a good look below the brake fluid resevoir on the water pipes heading to the Matrix but no joy.
Any advice would be much appreciated as i have 2 long journeys to do and now thinking of hiring a car to save breaking down and doing further damage. Thank you for a great Forum. And sorry for posting this in the wrong place yesterday. Big Respect to Mooseman for pointing me in the right direction.
DJQUICKFIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-16, 01:51 PM   #2
Inactive User

Hi djquickfit, sounds like you have exactly what i was experiencing, there is another bleed nipple right at the rear of the engine (near where you was looking) but you have to remove plastic air duct to get to it and then its clearly visible. I have bit the bullet and started to strip mine down but in no rush as i have my everyday car. Fingers crossed for you it only requires bleeding! Good luck.
Juddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-16, 02:01 PM   #3

Hi Juddy thank you for your reply, thats given me some hope so im heading to the car now and have another look. Sorry to read about your issues, thats my biggest fear as i dont have the cash or experience to tackle changing the head gasket. I need to drive 120 miles tomorrow very early in the morning for my uncles funeral, so the pressure is on. Thank you so much for replying and good luck with your own one. Will let you know how i get on one way or another. thank you.

Old 05-05-16, 03:20 PM   #4

If the head gasket is gone on these engines it pressurises the coolant system and when you remove the cap you will KNOW something is not right as if bad it can blow the cap away

I recon both of you have airlocks as i have had a few of these over the years with gasket issues and they will use a lot of water as it turns it to steam.

I run them without the cap fitted drive around with heater on full heat and after a couple miles top up this usually clears all the air if after doing this it blows all the water away then you do have gasket issues
DJQUICKFIT likes this.
Old 05-05-16, 04:34 PM   #5

Thanks Reliable, tried that idea you suggested. Before i read your idea i was out at the car 307 sw hdi 2002 (90) Remapped recently to (115)
With the cap off and water at Max level,i started the engine,stood and watched my water level slowly going up.When it got near the top i opened the bleeder and the water returned to Max, so all air gone (i thought)
Then i took the Revs up to 2000rpm and after about 10mins my expansion tank overflowed.
My temperature was at 90 at this point and my radiator fan never kicked in.
Im getting plenty heat inside the car but now im thinking Thermostat although all pipes are warm (above & Below)

Juddy--i could not find the 2nd Bleeder, the engine is set that far back Peugeot gave them a 2nd Oil Filler lol.
Old 05-05-16, 04:52 PM   #6

2nd bleeder is on heater pipes so if your heater is good its not worth bleeding that one i rarely use the bleed screws as it can be bled easily running with cap off.

2K revs for 10 mins stationary i would expect the water to rise a bit anyway as it gets hotter.

Water pumps do sometimes fail on these and in this case the heater would normally only work when engine is hot and get colder once moving.
Old 05-05-16, 08:25 PM   #7
Inactive User

Unfortunately like reliable406 says it sounds very much like the head gasket and it's just a matter of time before it goes altogether. If your going a fair distance tomorrow just make sure you take plenty of water with you and then when time and funds allow get the work done! Good luck for tomorrow.
Juddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-16, 02:19 PM   #8

Thank you Juddy, Managed to get there and back but like you said plenty of water with me to top up. I stopped every 20 mins and the expansion tank was empty every time, Never over-heated and the Temp gauge never went any higher than 80-85. Oil and Water still not Contaminated.Never heard the fan kicking in either and still getting plenty of hot air in-side, but i did notice yesterday that when i put the Air-Con on it didnt feel as cold as it has been recently. Can only Accept now its the Head Gasket and the Water must be steaming off via the exhaust. 157,000 on the clock so i got 6,000 miles driving since getting the car 2yrs ago.
Thank you all who replied, i will use it for short journeys until the mot expires and decide what to do.
Old 07-05-16, 02:34 PM   #9

The more you write the more I don't think it's head gasket :sweat_smile:

Oil and water DO NOT mix on diesels with head gasket failure but you tend to loose heating and have pressure in coolant

I recon you have a leak that's
evaporating so you don't see the leak
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-16, 06:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQUICKFIT View Post
Thank you Juddy, Managed to get there and back but like you said plenty of water with me to top up. I stopped every 20 mins and the expansion tank was empty every time, Never over-heated and the Temp gauge never went any higher than 80-85. Oil and Water still not Contaminated.Never heard the fan kicking in either and still getting plenty of hot air in-side, but i did notice yesterday that when i put the Air-Con on it didnt feel as cold as it has been recently. Can only Accept now its the Head Gasket and the Water must be steaming off via the exhaust. 157,000 on the clock so i got 6,000 miles driving since getting the car 2yrs ago.
Thank you all who replied, i will use it for short journeys until the mot expires and decide what to do.
Have you felt your large hoses to and from the rad when you leave the engine ticking over for 10mins?

Undo the cap and remove pressure from system, feel hoses and squeeze them...replace cap and start and check them after 10mins. You will defo be able to tell if they are over pressurised.

I had these symptoms and it turned out to be the dreaded H/G but fingers crossed its just a leak or air lock. I checked the service history with mine and the thermo housing cap was replaced so that told me there was a huge chance of a over-heat at some time.

Had to have the head skimmed and pressure checked as that is a good rule of thumb when stripped down, saves a rather huge headache when you replace gasket and its still as bad

Another way is to ask a local garage to do a sniff test on your coolant tank and that should confirm it for you!!
mooseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in