Coolant Leak Found in Mornings Only Once Car is Fully Cooled Down - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-18, 01:46 PM   #1

Default Coolant Leak Found in Mornings Only Once Car is Fully Cooled Down

So it seems when the car is hot, there is no leak but when I go out in the morning after it’s fully cooled down, there’s a little puddle. I know you’re probably going to say it’s the water pump that’s had it but my question is if the car doesn’t leak when it’s hot and the temperature gauge stays halfway as normal, is it as serious as it sounds? Just seems strange when the car is NOT under pressure, it leaks? Thanks.
SMIDG3T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-18, 02:11 PM   #2

I assume the puddle is coolant and not clear water (from A/C)?
Maybe leak is very small and when engine is hot the liquid evaporates before reaching the ground?
Then when engine is cool it slowly drips to form a puddle.
Maybe later, when coolant pressure drops it stops dripping?
You might consider having a coolant pressure test done (when engine is cold?) - don't know if this would show up a small leak like this though?
Maybe then the leak could be found by looking from underneath car?
You must have some idea where it drips on the ground relative to the engine?
Some folk have tried putting a sheet of plain paper under car to get a better idea of where leak is?
Hammerter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-18, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerter View Post
I assume the puddle is coolant and not clear water (from A/C)?
Maybe leak is very small and when engine is hot the liquid evaporates before reaching the ground?
Then when engine is cool it slowly drips to form a puddle.
Maybe later, when coolant pressure drops it stops dripping?
You might consider having a coolant pressure test done (when engine is cold?) - don't know if this would show up a small leak like this though?
Maybe then the leak could be found by looking from underneath car?
You must have some idea where it drips on the ground relative to the engine?
Some folk have tried putting a sheet of plain paper under car to get a better idea of where leak is?
Hi. It’s hard to determine if it’s coolent or simply water. I do know it’s towards the front on the car just underneath where I put the coolent in. My A/C doesn’t work at present and so I’m not using it. I have been keeping an eye on it today and as the engine is still relatively warm, there’s not a drip in sight. I bet tomorrow morning after it’s fully cooled down, there will be another puddle.

Old 07-08-18, 02:53 PM   #4

So dip your finger in the puddle and taste it. This won't kill you , if it tastes sweet you have a coolant leak, assuming you have antifreeze in the system as you should.
How far does the coolant level drop overnight?, or does it take a week or so to be significant?.
A pressure test with the engine warm would be lost likely to show up any leaks.

Roger.
Old 07-08-18, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
So dip your finger in the puddle and taste it. This won't kill you [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/images/smilies/extra/lol.gif[/IMG], if it tastes sweet you have a coolant leak, assuming you have antifreeze in the system as you should.
How far does the coolant level drop overnight?, or does it take a week or so to be significant?.
A pressure test with the engine warm would be lost likely to show up any leaks.

Roger.
Okay. Will do. I’ll taste it tomorrow! It takes a few days or so for the coolent level to get close to the min level.
Old 07-08-18, 06:35 PM   #6

Well that is the clue if the level is going down then a leak it must be I would have thought. A pressure check would be my first pert of call though if the area it is pooling at does not guide you to the problem. Perhaps if you put a used plastic container like a butter or ice cream carton under the area the fluid might be more easier to pinpoint
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-18, 10:27 PM   #7

coolant leak source should be fairly easy to locate, it would leave colour deposits on engine, etc., just follow the trace and you'll locate the leak. I recently found one in my 307 1.6 petrol on a coolant flange at the back of engine block (see pic attached). It can potentially leak on any hose connection, thermostat housing, radiator etc.
Tasting not recommended, It won't kill you but defo won't make you stronger!
Just look for stains in the colour of your antifreeze and you'll find it.

antifreeze.jpg
KJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in