Coolant leak! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-13, 03:11 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Coolant leak!

I think I have a coolant leak in my car:

Peugeot 307
2001 mod
156 000 km

Looks like it is some "irr" from the thermostat housing unit house, (look on pic) .

It is a packing that is inside, so you have to remove the whole "thermostat house unit". Is it someone that knows if it is normally to have "irr" in these place, and could check in their car ? I can see its more when its really hot (in summer time).

I noticed the problem in May, after the garage had replaced the timing belt and water pump, and had flushed the cooling system. But I cant see anything dripping from the area with the timing belt, so I think it leaks from the housing unit. The thing is that for 2 years ago (only 16000 km) the garage changed the pack in the housing unit, so I think its a bit weird if it is the pack again! I have to refill some coolant fluid just sometimes (maybe a little bit after two tanks of gas or so) , so the leak is small.
Attached Thumbnails
bilde-kj%F8lev%E6ske.jpg  
Thomasb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-13, 03:28 PM   #2
Inactive User

Smile hi

hi had same problem last week. i put some K SEAL IN HEADER TANK no more leaking i would give it a try first only about 9 or 10 danny
danny307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-12-13, 03:38 PM   #3
Inactive User

Ok but I think it wouldnt solve the "real" problem. Also I have this annoying issue. I think the engine is overheating a bit sometimes .....Especially in summer times driving "city driving" the engine gets a bit hot, like 100 C before the fans kick in and it goes down. I think the effect of the engine becomes worse of this. Also I dont remember it was like this a few year backs, but used to happen in like two years ago. I have replaced the thermostat. Maybe a flowing issue?

Old 25-12-13, 08:10 PM   #4
Inactive User

Default Coolant leak

the thermostat housing, with hose connector is one of the worst that I have ever encountered.

The assembly is held in place with two bolts and being made of plastic, doesn't provide the best pressure for the full diameter of the seal. Eventually some corrosion of the metal surface occurs and thus allows coolant to leak around the seal.

A new housing can be found via eBay for less than $20 ( having just done this myself).

Be very careful when undoing the bolts, best to spray with WD40 or similar about a day before removing, as it is possible to shear the bolts as happened with me.

Discard the old bolts and replace with high tensile bolts which one can get from a hardware store.
Sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-12-13, 08:49 PM   #5
Inactive User

Default Sonoma

Sonoma:

So why does it help with a new housing ? And why doesnt only a new seal helps ?

Is it by the way hard to unscrew the device and put a new one in place ? Does the new housing need a new sealing?
Old 25-12-13, 09:07 PM   #6
Inactive User

Default New housing

New housing comes as a complete assembly. Thermostat and seal included.

The old seal will be corroded as well as the mounting block surface, so clean up the surface of the mounting block before fitting the new housing.

Old housing will be warped due to heat, pressure and age.

Spend a few bucks and do the job right.
Old 25-12-13, 09:13 PM   #7
Inactive User

You know this is the housing im talking about ?

Look herehttps://www.google.no/search?q=therm...59%3B300%3B225

and I had a new thermostat last winter, so its almost new.. Is the housing difficult to change?
Old 25-12-13, 09:57 PM   #8
Inactive User

Default Thermostat

The thermostat and housing connect to the water pump. It has a connector for the inlet hose.

If they jus replaced the thermostat only, then they most likely have done you no favours, as it would have left an old, hardened seal and warped housing in place. Also they may not have cleaned up the mounting surface.

Two bolts, nothing so difficult if you have a 10mm ring spanner or socket spanner. A pair of pliers will be needed to undo the hose clip.

These guys have them advertised.

jolly good car spares ltd
geoff williams
gorsey bank farm
shifnal
Shropshire
tf11 8jg
United Kingdom

Phone:01952|691329
Email:[email protected]
Old 25-12-13, 11:06 PM   #9
Inactive User

Hello, I am talking about this whole unit.. Look at pic.

The garage did replace the pack wich lies into the engine, but I think its leaking again .... I my self did last winter replace ONLY the thermostat, and the thermostat doesnt leak.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in