Clutch Saga - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-16, 09:47 AM   #1

Default Clutch Saga

DW10ATED RHS 2.0 307

I had a new clutch fitted last week, and I've been having a problem with it since. It's been a ball-ache of an episode, I'll briefly explain;

- Bought a clutch kit from ECP, told mechanic I bought correct kit for my car and DMF

- Mechanic took everything apart, only to find flywheel had been replaced with the SMF conversion kit

- Found clutch kit for SMF conv. flywheel

- Put everything back together.

Now, as I took the car away, when the car is stationary, the engine/gearbox judders significantly as the clutch bites, and it's much worse when facing up hill (or downhill when in reverse).

Took the car back to the garage, and he said that it could be the driveshaft.

I needed the car for work, so I took it home and had a mate look under the bonnet whilst the clutch was at biting point. He was saying that the engine was jumping back and forwards when the clutch was biting.

Took back to the garage the next day and asked the mech to have a look, and to check the mountings. He said it was fine, but the O/S driveshaft was on it's way out, and that he thinks the juddering could be the flywheel. I was told to persevere and allow the new clutch to bed in with the flywheel.

Before the clutch was replaced, there wasn't any juddering or violent shaking. The SMF was running true with the old clutch, as there are no signs of uneven wear on the old clutch plate. The only issue was the friction material was glazed slightly.

The juddering and shaking has settled slightly since I first took the car back, but it's still there.

I'm not convinced that a driveshaft is causing the shaking, which was the mechanics first diagnosis. I could only think that if it was, the splines would be jumping out of the grooves in the clutch plate, but that surely wouldn't cause the engine to rock?

If the flywheel is warped, then would this show on the old clutch? And should it not have been spotted when the clutch was taken off (I work on Boeing aircraft and rule of thumb is to inspect mating parts when removing components)?

It's bothering me now, and I need to get it fixed. When starting off from stationary and facing up hill, the clutch struggles to engage as it feels like it's bouncing off the flywheel, and I need to give it close to 2,500 revs when facing uphill to get going.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-16, 09:57 AM   #2

i did ask before what kit you had.

there is something about wearing them in but with this engine you can tell if theres a problem. i would be looking at the release bearing it will make the mounts go wild

heres mine
https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...-issues-58961/

nearly 3 years later and still fine
jimmymarsbar likes this.
Old 12-05-16, 10:09 AM   #3

Because I didn't know the car had previously been converted from DMF to SMF, I left the mechanic to source a kit for the flywheel, he said he used a Valeo kit, based on what he took off.

I agree that the symptoms feel like the bearing or pressure plates, but because I'm asking myself loads of different questions, I'm tying myself up in knots. I've still got the old bearing, and that looks OK to me, so I wonder if the input shaft is making a meal of the new bearing.

I'll have a look through your thread now Monty, cheers mate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-05-16, 10:45 AM   #4

In fairness, the clutch feels beautiful when the car is in motion, it's so much smoother and happier going through the gears. Just setting off from standing makes me cringe!

Old 12-05-16, 10:52 AM   #5

it will be fine when going along. i fitted a valeo to mine and it came with the old spec bearing. its worked perfectally. only thing is he brought the wrong clutch possibly
Old 12-05-16, 11:01 AM   #6

I keep thinking if it is the right clutch, but he's claiming he did a like-for-like swap. I've got the old clutch, so I can always compare if it doesn't clear up once it's all bedded in.

Having read through your thread, the general consensus is the release bearings are questionable - although yours was a LuK...

I'll give it a bit longer and see what happens.

Old 12-05-16, 11:32 AM   #7

This is the old bearing after a good old clean, I notice a bit of wear where the fork sat, but it still runs freely and clean. I also notice it's identical to the standard bearing in your thread - I wonder if the new bearing differs from this and is causing the issues?
Attached Thumbnails
img_1893.jpg   img_1895.jpg   img_1896.jpg  

Old 12-05-16, 05:15 PM   #8

If there is a judder when the clutch starts to bite and takes up drive its the clutch plate or pressure plate at fault.Why? could be a number of things,faulty manufacture of the pressure plate diaphragm spring?,bent clutch plate? wrong size clutch? it needs removing for inspection.
Its nothing to do with the release bearing,all that does is operate the clutch.
A faulty drive shaft would only vibrate under load,when the car is being driven in gear under power.
Trouble is jimmy all this is non standard,a recognised conversion yes.I cant help feeling though what should have been done is to have fitted a DMF and clutch listed for that model so getting the car back to its original Peugeot specification.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-16, 05:35 PM   #9

I disagree I'm still using the same clutch that I had awful judder with do you know the setup of the release bearing on a pug if you read my post above you will see the gap differences
monty9120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-16, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymarsbar View Post
Because I didn't know the car had previously been converted from DMF to SMF, I left the mechanic to source a kit for the flywheel, he said he used a Valeo kit, based on what he took off.

I agree that the symptoms feel like the bearing or pressure plates, but because I'm asking myself loads of different questions, I'm tying myself up in knots. I've still got the old bearing, and that looks OK to me, so I wonder if the input shaft is making a meal of the new bearing.

I'll have a look through your thread now Monty, cheers mate

Are you sure he sourced a valeo kit? only asking as I have mine to do after getting stuffed like a thanks-giving turkey by Mister bloody Auto. I have sourced a Valeo kit, its the KIT4P it even comes with a sticker to apply in engine bay to inform you a that a conversion kit fitted.

I believe you must replace like for like with these conversion kits (so I read) they don't like you swapping parts around so having said that it might be worth insisting on the proof of purchase?

I also read that a crankshaft seal can cause judder if its getting oil onto the clutch?

I'm not sure what I can help with as Im out of my depth here as I'm yet to do my own so might have to be paying for Monty's time when I drag him over to do mine

good luck
david42 likes this.
mooseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in