Clutch replacement cost - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-08-19, 05:37 PM   #1

Default Clutch replacement cost

Hi guys. My mobile mechanic came yesterday to service my 2001 307 and said I need to get the clutch replaced pretty soon. I agree as I've noticed it revving higher without the car keeping up and the bite point from first gear is right at the top of the pedal action. This clutch owes me nothing, it was replaced in 2011 so I've had a good 8 years out of it. I think I paid about 500 at a Halfords AA garage, but they did a good job.

He said he could get his mate to do it for 400 in a couple of weeks. I wasn't expecting the price to be any less than 500, so 400 sounded decent to me. That's probably still more than the sale value of my car these days, lol. But I'm keeping it going.

Today I got an online quote from some company called clickmechanic, quoting me 362 and they come to me and do the job at my house, or maybe take it away and bring it back. I think this is as good a price as I'd get anywhere isn't it? Just wondering if anyone here would recommend them and is 12 months warranty standard for a clutch or should I be getting a longer one? Trustpilot reviews seem pretty good. Here is a screenshot of my quote.
Attached Thumbnails
clickmechanic-quote.jpg  
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-08-19, 06:52 AM   #2

I was quoted 500 by Halfords a couple of years ago, They were the only ones who were prepared to do the job in the required timescale required. Decided to do the job myself. Cost around 250 to buy the clutch and tools I didn't already own. I used a top quality replacement clutch kit and it took me a couple of days due to the weather and limited lifting gear to raise the car. I also replaced the clutch with the car in the road outside my house.

My suspicion is the cheaper quote will supply and fit the cheapest, low quality clutch kit they can get their hands on. The 38 you would save could be the difference between a cheap clutch and a quality clutch. I would try to find out what brand of clutch each intends to fit then make the decision.
border_all likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-08-19, 09:53 AM   #3

OP whereabouts are you? I use a independent garage and he does not charge those sort of prices here in Stoke on Trent.
madbadandold is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 15-08-19, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
I was quoted 500 by Halfords a couple of years ago, They were the only ones who were prepared to do the job in the required timescale required. Decided to do the job myself. Cost around 250 to buy the clutch and tools I didn't already own. I used a top quality replacement clutch kit and it took me a couple of days due to the weather and limited lifting gear to raise the car. I also replaced the clutch with the car in the road outside my house.

My suspicion is the cheaper quote will supply and fit the cheapest, low quality clutch kit they can get their hands on. The 38 you would save could be the difference between a cheap clutch and a quality clutch. I would try to find out what brand of clutch each intends to fit then make the decision.
Hi storeman. Thank you for your advice and I agree with you, they could be using a cheapo low quality clutch.

I just called Halfords and they were going to call me back with a quote but still haven't.

I then called Mr Clutch and they can do it tomorrow for me early morning and give me the car back around 3 to 4pm. Now, they've told me 356.25 inc vat and labour and 2 year warranty. I asked the guy what quality clutch they would use and he said either Valeo or LUK and he said they're top brands. Sounds good to me and I think Mr Clutch is quite reputable. So what do you think, shall I go for that?
Old 15-08-19, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadandold View Post
OP whereabouts are you? I use a independent garage and he does not charge those sort of prices here in Stoke on Trent.
Hi mate. Well I'm in London so unfortunately everything is more expensive down here!
Out of interest though, what sort of price would your garage charge?
Old 15-08-19, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Hi storeman. Thank you for your advice and I agree with you, they could be using a cheapo low quality clutch.

I just called Halfords and they were going to call me back with a quote but still haven't.

I then called Mr Clutch and they can do it tomorrow for me early morning and give me the car back around 3 to 4pm. Now, they've told me 356.25 inc vat and labour and 2 year warranty. I asked the guy what quality clutch they would use and he said either Valeo or LUK and he said they're top brands. Sounds good to me and I think Mr Clutch is quite reputable. So what do you think, shall I go for that?
Valeo and Luk are top O/E parts, so if they use them for 356.25 all in I would say go for it.
Double check though. I always understood that Mr Clutch fitted their own reconditioned clutches.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-08-19, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pug View Post
Valeo and Luk are top O/E parts, so if they use them for 356.25 all in I would say go for it.
Double check though. I always understood that Mr Clutch fitted their own reconditioned clutches.
Hi Old Pug. Just before I read your reply I phoned my mobile mechanic who said the same as you. He said being a franchise in a cut throat competitive business means that they can cut costs by using reconditioned clutches. He said they would probably use a new one but that there's no real way to really know. But he said all clutch places, even Halfords are much the same unless it's a Peugeot main dealer and of course, I ain't paying 800 for Peugeot to do it!

But I used Halfords in 2011 and that turned out to be very good clutch, so I imagine Mr Clutch is probably going to be ok. If I ask Mr Clutch and they say it won't be reconditioned, can I take that as gospel?

EDIT: I just spoke to Mr Clutch again and he guarantees it'll be brand spanking new. He said garages uaed to install recon clutches about 20 years ago but not anymore. So I'm happy with that and am going to get it done there tomorrow.

Last edited by Merlin; 15-08-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 15-08-19, 11:40 AM   #8

He charged 495.07 but that was doing first the drive shafts and then I decided to do the clutch as it was high on the pedal but not slipping. That was all inclusive parts and all! Would have been cheaper if I had them both done at the same time but hey I am 71 and not as bright as I used to be! And now the starter has decided not to work anymore!
madbadandold is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-08-19, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadandold View Post
He charged 495.07 but that was doing first the drive shafts and then I decided to do the clutch as it was high on the pedal but not slipping. That was all inclusive parts and all! Would have been cheaper if I had them both done at the same time but hey I am 71 and not as bright as I used to be! And now the starter has decided not to work anymore!
Bloody cars eh. I hope you get your starter sorted though!
Old 15-08-19, 03:39 PM   #10

We bought a car which had just had its clutch done at Mr Clutch. We had no problems with it. The only snag being we had to take it back at regular intervals for them to check the clutch as part of the two year warranty.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in