Car died. How can it be revived? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-07-17, 02:34 PM   #1

Default Car died. How can it be revived?

I was driving home in my Peugeot 307 semi automatic 1.6 2007, when the car started shuddering as i was slowing down due to traffic.

After coming to a complete stop, I went to move off again pressing the accelerator, the car just shook and completely cut off.

I turned the engine off and back on again, but no luck. Although the engine switched on i couldn't press the accelerator, nothing was happening. The engine light also stayed on.

Luckily a couple of guys helped me push the car onto the side away from any danger whilst i waited for the recovery guys.

When they got to me, he jump started the car, but said it won't get me home so i should take it to a garage. Unfortunately, it was a Sunday and the garage closed at 4pm so I couldn't take it there - so instead took it to where I live.

I went to try take it to a garage today, but the car will not start at all. I can just hear clicks when I turn the ignition.

After doing research, many people believe it to be a battery issue (although the battery light on the dashboard doesn't stay lit... Should it if there was a battery problem?

To be fair, the battery terminals do look corroded and i'm not sure how long the battery has been in there, but could it be more than a battery issue?

I haven't had the car long, but since the other day I have started noticing things like misfiring when the gears change and sometimes struggles to change gear.

I never had any warning light come on before, it just suddenly died there and then. Quite scary as i was in a middle lane.

Any information, ideas, suggestions are welcome.

Also I have someone coming to fit a new battery later this evening (as obviously i can't move), so I will post an update later.

Cheers
martyng89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-17, 02:54 PM   #2

BE CAREFULL changing the battery do not just swap it look at the 3 minute rule well documented the important part is the time taken before disconnection the leaving window down etc is not essential.

Battery light on the dash is not there to tell you battery is good or bad it tells you if it is getting charged or not by the alternator it is more accurately an alternator or charge light

Battery may not be the real issue though sounds more like a missfire to me.
Old 17-07-17, 02:58 PM   #3

Don't you worry, he's an RAC mechanic so I trust he knows about the 3 minute rule!

IF the problem is mis fire, what could the likely fix be?

To be honest, i just need it going even temporarily until i can get it to a garage for a proper look over. As my knowledge is limited.

Old 17-07-17, 08:03 PM   #4

***Update***

So the mechanic removed the old battery and put the new one in (apparently whoever put the old battery in previously had the wrong size).

That got the engine going again but I still seem to be getting misfiring when idle, and the automatic gearbox struggles to change gear.

He said its possible that the gearbox oil needs changing but I'm really worried that my car will cut out again before I get to take it to a garage.

Does anyone know why this misfiring and struggling to change gear happens?
Old 17-07-17, 08:10 PM   #5

It is struggling to change gear BECAUSE ITS misfiring fix what is causing the missfire and the gearbox will work fine
Old 17-07-17, 09:29 PM   #6

What motor?

By the sounds of the corroded battery terminal and the incorrect battery fitted, a proper major service would probably go a long way to sort out running issues as it sounds like it has been kept running on a shoestring with no tlc...

Try to get it scanned with Diagbox to see what errors are resident in the system.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-07-17, 09:57 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
It is struggling to change gear BECAUSE ITS misfiring fix what is causing the missfire and the gearbox will work fine
Sound advice that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3008 SUV GT Line 1.2 Auto Nimbus Grey
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-07-17, 06:39 PM   #8
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Sounds like we still haven't found a root cause for the shuddering and stall.

It sounds like subsequently all the attempts to start flattened the battery, so that's a red herring.

I'd expect to see some fault codes logged. I'd guess something to do with fuelling. Get PeugeotPlanet on it!
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in