Buttonless key won't start the car - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-14, 09:56 PM   #1
Inactive User

Question Buttonless key won't start the car

My father has recently bought a used 2007 307 1.6 HDi 66kW 5-door hatchback and he got two keys: a plip key and a purely mechanical-looking, buttonless key (see attached images: front and back of the buttonless key; front of the plip key).

Now, if I start the car with the plip key, turn it off, and try the buttonless key, it starts up and I've driven the car for about 15 minutes without problems.

If I try the buttonless key without immediately using the plip key beforehand, the starter motor engages, but the car won't start.

In both of the above cases, a triangle with an exclamation mark lights up on the dashboard (for the buttonless key only). Now:
  1. Can anyone confirm that keys such as this buttonless one I attached are common backup keys for Peugeot cars from that age (up to 2007)? I want to make sure that it is plausible, that the guy who sold us the car gave us the real second key and not some trash copy and kept (or lost) the real other key.
  2. Do I need pp2000 and the physical interface to associate the key with the car? Or is it possible to associate the key somehow more easily, perhaps by utilizing the plip key?
Attached Thumbnails
307-buttonless-key-front.jpg   307-buttonless-key-back.jpg   307-original-key.jpg  
Irfy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-14, 10:19 PM   #2

The buttonless key has no chip in it so starting with the master unlocks the immobiliser then swapping keys within 30 seconds or so means the ecu stays unlocked but if turned off for longer the ecu locks meaning the buttonless key will not work.

It can be fixed by fitting a chip and having it coded to the car.
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-14, 10:21 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
The buttonless key has no chip in it so starting with the master unlocks the immobiliser then swapping keys within 30 seconds or so means the ecu stays unlocked but if turned off for longer the ecu locks meaning the buttonless key will not work.

It can be fixed by fitting a chip and having it coded to the car.
Even if there were a chip in it, the "coding to the car" sounds like a job for the garage nearby or pp2000, am I getting this right?

Edit: Is there a way to discern the two possibilities: not having a chip at all vs. not having the chip coded to the car?
Irfy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-14, 07:02 PM   #4
Inactive User

This can be done but the whole point in having a chipped key is so that the car can not be started with out the key. Just get the key coded most lock smiths do car keys near me its 25 pound to have a new key coded.
jamie8824 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-14, 11:43 AM   #5

The keys can be coded in PP2000 but you need the pin code which is on the credit card sized security card which should have come with the car. If the pin code isn't available then Peugeot can still code the key but they charge a pretty large chunk of money.

Many locksmiths can code a new key by reading an original key then use the data to program the new key. They will need to see proof of ownership and identity before they will do this for obvious reasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-14, 11:56 AM   #6
Inactive User

Is there not a key turning/button pressing method using the plip key to programme the chip in the plain key??

I got a replacement key for my 02 307 from ebay, just swapped the blade over to the blank new key and then used a method \I found on the net to programme the key!!

It was a replacement plip key for a plip key where the button split and fell out though!!!

But the new key did the same as yours until I programmed it, the wife's key would start it and the new key would do straight away after within 30s but not after any longer than 30s!

307dan
307dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-14, 06:42 PM   #7

The key in the ignition procedure is for synching the remote transmitter in the fob with the receiver in the car. It does not program the transponder to unlock the ECU. If this was all that was required then the immobiliser would be rendered almost useless as any keyfob with the correct blade would start the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-14, 09:01 PM   #8

I don't know if later 307's came with this type of spare key, but my 2002 307 have one exactly like that, if the key with remote at some point were recoded to the car without the spare key being present at the procedure, the spare key won't work until both keys are recoded again, an easy job with PP2000 if you got the keycard with the 4 digit code, if not the dealer or bettyswollocks should be able to help you.

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...vin-pin-16946/

Holt
Old 05-01-14, 02:40 AM   #9
Inactive User

There is a immobilazier in the buttonless key. happened to us, the spare key has a immobilizer inside and it has reset it self, take it to you dealer along with the car. cost us about 15 to get it fixed and with a warranty.
Liams 205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in