Brake pedal hard when pressed all the way down quickly - advice needed! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-19, 12:37 AM   #1

Default Brake pedal hard when pressed all the way down quickly - advice needed!

Hi all,

I had my rear brake discs/pads replaced on my Peugeot 307 HDI (117,500 miles) nearly 3 months ago, after getting the car back the brakes felt quite different and this problem has persisted ever since.

The issue is as follows -

When pressing the brake pedal all the way down (most noticeable if I need to break sharply), it feels quite hard and takes me longer to stop due to having to press down a lot harder.
However if I put lighter pressure on the pedal and break more gently, it feels fine and it is only hard when pressed all the way down quickly (there is no hardness when pressing it down gradually).
Ironically, it feels like I am braking a lot more efficiently when putting less pressure on the pedal!
When I do press it down sharply and I come to a stop, there is a very brief period where the pedal feels slightly stuck down before coming back up - the closest thing I can compare it to is when you step on some chewing gum and your foot sticks to it for a second as you lift it back up!

I originally posted a question about this here.

The answers all suggested it was the brakes that needed bedding in, so I left it for a while.

After 2000 further miles without any change, I took it back to the garage and asked them to take a look at it.

They did a brake fluid change but said it made no difference and said they thought it was the brake servo and quoted 438 to repair.

I am however confused, as from everything I have read online, if the servo/booster goes then the pedal is completely hard when not pressed down (like if you try and brake without the engine on), I haven't read anything about it being hard only when pressed all the way down.

If I perform the test of pumping the brake pedal and then turning the engine on, the pedal drops as it should - this is supposed to be the sign of the booster working correctly. Surely if mine has gone, then it would fail this test?

As the garage appeared to only be making an assumption that it was the servo, is there any likelihood that it could be anything else, that is not as expensive to replace?
I'm not an expert with cars, so don't want to spend that amount of money if it is something else that is causing the problem, but naturally need it sorting ASAP.

Extra info - the front brakes/discs were also replaced earlier on in the year (by a different garage).

Any suggestions welcome and thanks in advance!
NIMBLE_JIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-08-19, 11:26 AM   #2

Vacuum servo unit check valve or vacuum pump itself. First one can be checked by removing it and check it works as a one way valve. The other can be checked using a vacuum gauge. At idle it should show a minimum after one minute idling of approx. 500mmHg. Plumb in the vacuum gauge at the pump after disconnecting the pipe feed.
madbadandold is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in