Antipollution fault/Catalytic converter fault/P1338 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-18, 08:02 PM   #1

Default Antipollution fault/Catalytic converter fault/P1338

Greetings.

I'm a bit of a novice, but I have time, good advisors and we can do without the car for a few days/weeks. I'm treating this as a learning experience and I'm not adverse to buying equipment and parts to fix it.

The car is a 307 SW, manual, 1.6 16v Petrol, NFU(TU5JP4), Registered 2005/01, driven 156000km. Timing belt is relatively recent. I have only had it for a month.

The error started after a short stop at the gas station. Rough idle and Antipollution fault/Catalytic converter fault on the display. The car will drive OK and we are not sure if it has lost power on higher revs, but the acceleration is uneven especially at lower revs.

We have the Lexia3/Planet kit in the mail, but I wanted to see how I can do without. Borrowed a cheap ELM 327 OBD reader and it reports P1338. The Oxygen sensors show live data and I can't tell anything else from OBD reader.

I can't see anything leaking, no weird sound and no weird smoke.

What is wrong with my car? What is my plan of attack? Wait for the Planet kit or should I run some tests before it comes? Are there cheap parts I should order and test before giving up trying this by myself? Is a compression test in order and what would that tell me? There are some cheap kits out there.

The faults I keep reading about with similar problems are bad Coil packs, Injectors, Oxygen sensors (probably not since I get live data?) and Exhaust valves.

Last edited by Notandi; 12-10-18 at 07:52 AM.
Notandi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-18, 10:34 AM   #2

I should add that there is no difference if the engine is hot or cold.
Old 12-10-18, 11:42 AM   #3

P1338 in search box should give you plenty to be going on with for now until Planet arrives.

Old 12-10-18, 04:05 PM   #4

As the timing belt has been replaced recently I would get the timing rechecked before anything else in case it has jumped a tooth. Once the timing is confirmed as correct then other ideas and solutions can be investigated.
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-18, 05:09 PM   #5

The timing belt was changed recently as in 18 months ago and approx. 15000km. I was trying to eliminate it as a suspect. Sorry for the confusion.

I have been googling P1338 (P1337,P1339...) and I know its an ignition error on the 2nd cylinder. I should have mentioned that. The issues that I have found so far that are similar to mine have all been with the components mentioned above> bad Coil pack, Injectors, Oxygen sensors (probably not since I get live data?) and Exhaust valves.

Lowest hanging fruit would be the Coil Pack. Its sort of cheap and easy enough for me to change it. Guess I'll wait for the Lexia3/Planet kit.
Old 12-10-18, 05:29 PM   #6

Clogged injector is more likely than bad coil pack as coil pack tends to fail on 2 cylinders making it very hard to drive.

Injectors are a common issue on this engine more common than coils its just most try the coil first as you say its easier to get at.

Missfire does not always mean spark.
Old 12-10-18, 06:08 PM   #7

reliable406 is the man on these cars but you do mention exhaust valves. What/which valves do you mean and what do you think might be wrong with them?
Old 13-10-18, 05:06 AM   #8

Untight exhaust valves was just something I picked up on in another thread and IIRC was supposed to produce the same errors on the display.

Thx for the hints reliable406.

Probably wont be able to check the car for a few days, but I will be back with updates.
Old 13-10-18, 08:13 AM   #9

The symptom is the same and a belt mistimed is more likely to have happened as what causes the exhaust valves to loosen?
Old 13-10-18, 04:56 PM   #10

Thx for the suggestion madbadandold. Is the Planet kit going to tell me if this is the case or is there an easy procedure to find out? I'm guessing even I could open the block to the point where I can crank it over and see if it lifts at the same time as the 3rd cylinder valves? I guess I should try to check the spark and injectors first right?

-reliable406
A friend told me to use something called Redex to get around a clogged injector. They even have a type that specifically targets injectors. Do I try that first, different type just as good? Gibbo recommends Miller's in another thread. II guess I'll check for the spark first though.

... and if that doesn't work, wait for the Planet kit... but its still in China... even though I payed a bit extra for expedited shipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in