ABS faults after unplug of sensor cable? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-10-17, 12:58 PM   #1

Default ABS faults after unplug of sensor cable?

This is a weird one?

I was asked if I could look at my brothers neighbours (51 plate) 307sw 2.0hdi, lovely well looked after motor in near mint condition owned by the lady from new.

It was slowly leaking gearbox oil from the shaft seal, so I said when I'm off work and around I'll sort it for you, so Friday off came the drivers front wheel, bearing holder under car and removal of driveshaft complete with hub to replace driveshaft oil seal, (wish I had only pulled shaft out enough to do seal) so, all done and completed...sounds easy I agree!

Refilled the oil, after checking everything was nice and tight I wanted to just check to see the abs light was off before I installed the wheel arch liner and wheel. The car had abs light showing before I reconnected the plug I then turned off ignition and restarted and the light was off and all was good.

Liner and wheel fitted it was ready to reverse off drive

Got in car and the abs light was permanently on and the speedo not working.

Now I know that the speedo is taken from the wheel sensors on the front of these cars having owned them for 5 yrs so out came my planet to hook up and see whats going on.

My planet is a pain in the ass trying to read certain ecu's on the 110hp's it just references the ECU and wont give me access to live data in parameters.

So I do test by ECU only and select safety system and change the reference under bosch to 5.7 from 5.3. this at least allows me to look at live data in parameters It shows the following:

n/s/f wheel sensor in Green text as 0mph.
o/s/f wheel sensor in Green text as 163mph.
n/s/r wheel sensor in Red text as 163mph.
o/s/r wheel sensor in Red text as 163mph.

Why the different colour texts?

Planet is telling me that 3 sensors are not seen i think? I can't understand this as the car passed its MOT 2 weeks ago with the mot guy telling (owner) about the seal. I even checked that no warning lamps were lit and everything was fine prior to me starting work as I have been caught out before with helping people when they had original faults showing and tried to blame me.

Anybody have a clue what is causing this as now I'm looking like a right idiot that has created a problem when there wasn't one there about the ABS?

cheers in advance
mooseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-10-17, 04:37 PM   #2

Have you had a look at fuse F7 (10amp), fuse in the engine compartment to see if it's blown?
mrdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-10-17, 04:42 PM   #3

Speedo comes from passenger side front sensor

Old 21-10-17, 06:51 PM   #4

Use a multimeter and read the resistances of the front/rear wheel sensors, they should all be more or less the same. [approx 1700 ohms IIRC..?] Any one wildly different will be suspect. If they all are roughly the same reading, do the same check, but at the ABS pump plug as the wiring to each wheel might be the issue.

Also check the plug on the ABS unit for water/corrosion as it is in a bit of a vulnerable place.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-10-17, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
Have you had a look at fuse F7 (10amp), fuse in the engine compartment to see if it's blown?
I actually never checked any fuses as I never chopped any voltage cables, so im doubtful its a fuse but, hey you never know...I'll check Monday when Im back on the job.

cheers for the reply!
Old 21-10-17, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
Use a multimeter and read the resistances of the front/rear wheel sensors, they should all be more or less the same. [approx 1700 ohms IIRC..?] Any one wildly different will be suspect. If they all are roughly the same reading, do the same check, but at the ABS pump plug as the wiring to each wheel might be the issue.

Also check the plug on the ABS unit for water/corrosion as it is in a bit of a vulnerable place.

Thanks for the reply, but there was no faults showing until I unplugged the drivers side abs to do shaft seal.

can't understand why these have popped up?
Old 21-10-17, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Speedo comes from passenger side front sensor

are you sure as the passenger side is working ok in parameters if you spin the wheel but I have no speedo?

maybe it is a fuse popped blown? but I don't see how that happened...oh the joys of french cars!
Old 21-10-17, 07:26 PM   #8

Yes speedo comes from passenger ABS sensor BUT if you had drivers shaft out and now it wont work it might be an early one with an actual speedo drive on the box as these are driven from the drivers side shaft output on the box and the plastic ring can be broken inside the housing.
Old 21-10-17, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Yes speedo comes from passenger ABS sensor BUT if you had drivers shaft out and now it wont work it might be an early one with an actual speedo drive on the box as these are driven from the drivers side shaft output on the box and the plastic ring can be broken inside the housing.
If it was the old type how would I know the plastic ring was broken and what would or could be the fix? Pls don't tell me box off and opened up?

Thanks reliable
Old 21-10-17, 08:58 PM   #10

No you can fix in situ but you need the shaft out again !!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in