307SW - brake pedal on the floor - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By muscleriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-05-19, 05:39 PM   #1

Default 307SW - brake pedal on the floor

Dear all

I have acquired a nice 7 seater SW estate. The only problem with the car which I got as spares/repair is that the brake pedal is on the floor. It does have some braking but only just before the pedal hits the metal!

The previous owner said "it needs an ABS pump" but quizzing the guy he had just assumed this as he had tried everything else. The car was laid up on my drive for about 6 months and now I have decided to get it back on the road.

On starting the car the pedal hits the floor - you cannot build any pressure by pressing the pedal and engine running. So my first move was you as Gunson EZEEbleed unit to bleed the brakes. No difference. Pumping the pedal I can hear a puffing noise from the servo which is on the passenger side linked the pedal via a shaft.

I removed the master cylinder. The rear part of this was dry so nothing leaking back into the servo. Removed servo. Looks okay and had pressure in it when removed. So the only thing left is the ABS pump. I used my Autel Maxisys tablet on it which had an option for running the pump and when activating this I can hear the motor running. My thoughts are then that this is an internal pump unit fault. It looks as though the pump is buried down in the wheel arch?

What is the correct part number for 2002 1.6 16v petrol version of this car - does anyone know the part number?

Thanks
Sam.
sam1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-05-19, 06:32 PM   #2

There are lots of different pumps so you need the code of the pump to be 100%.

Its very rare for the pump to cause the pedal to go to the floor due to the design of the pump, are you sure it's not be changed and has air trapped in it (you need planet of similar to cycle the pump valves to get the air out or trigger the ABS via other means).

Looking at the rear or the master cylinder tells you nothing the seals or bore can still be worn and the fluid leaks past the seals.

The best way to test the master cylinder is to blank the outlets and see if the pedal is hard
Old 26-05-19, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
there are lots of different pumps so you need the code of the pump to be 100%.

Its very rare for the pump to cause the pedal to go to the floor due to the design of the pump, are you sure it's not be changed and has air trapped in it (you need planet of similar to cycle the pump valves to get the air out or trigger the abs via other means). I have autel that can do a power bleed. I also have pp2000 although i have never used it, only the lexia thing on a citroen.

Looking at the rear or the master cylinder tells you nothing the seals or bore can still be worn and the fluid leaks past the seals. Sure. I have had this years ago when forcing fluid back through the system pushing back calipers with very worn brake pads inverted the seals. Would it really have bore wear at 120,000 miles?

The best way to test the master cylinder is to blank the outlets and see if the pedal is hard
presumably just make up length of pipe with two unions one each end, one in one hole of master cylinder and one in other? Or use some old bleed nipples?

What about the puffing noise from the servo or is that a red herring?

Old 26-05-19, 06:42 PM   #4

Sorry it didn't post the other part of my reply:

I have PP2000 - this does more than Autel? Never used it as I got for Lexia on a Citroen
Old 29-05-19, 11:02 AM   #5

Default Seems to me main clutch system

In my 207 I have a failed ABS unit, but I could use the brakes ok when driving. Certainly no massive drop to the floor.

If you think about it, it has to be that way as any ABS Unit failure which interferes with braking is going to be a HUGE safety NONO!

It sounds to me that the main braking system is what you need to concentrate on, after checking over the hoses to see if there are any leaks (including the ABS pipes), you should look at testing the main braking system components. It does sound exactly like air is getting in the system from somewhere, if after bleeding you get the same spongy non action on the pedal.
rustyroger likes this.
muscleriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in