307SW 2003 Abs sensors and renewing - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-10-11, 03:11 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 307SW 2003 Abs sensors and renewing

Hi all would like to know how easy it is to change the sensors to either clean or renew on both the front and back wheels..I been reading some people take the disc off first others use just 5mm allen key for back ones..some bang them out some loosen them with oil...anyone got any photos or anyone done this job and give me some tips..I do the general car stuff..but like to learn this as there so many things that make the abs light up...thanks

Last edited by Fallenhero; 25-10-11 at 03:18 PM.
Fallenhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-10-11, 12:40 AM   #2
Inactive User

I tried to take out my front one, never managed so i gave up on it. Turned out it never needed replacing. Bent a screwdriver trying to get it out!!

As for rear one, just undid the screw, and it came out easy. Mind you this is 407 i am talking about, so being that cable goes over the tank, i cut the abs sensor cable some 15cm away from sensor, cut the new sensor, soldered wires together with some 1cm difference in length between the wires so even in case the rubber seal i put on them wears off they dont shortcircuit. then i used 2 layers of termal rubber to seal it all off. Good job in end.
battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-10-11, 08:43 AM   #3

I'm the same in that I never checked my fronts.

For the backs I just took off the wheel, then lined up the inspection hole to put in a long allen key to unscrew the sensor.

Old 26-10-11, 05:23 PM   #4
Inactive User

I read on the 407 the cable goes over the tank for the back that be a pain...307 doesn't or unclips after the tank....I may try the back ones first..sounds bit easier than the front .thanks for tips..anyone else..keep posting
Old 26-10-11, 07:20 PM   #5

I've just done all four of mine.the rears are pretty easy,you dont need to remove the discs,just take off the wheel,line up one of the wheel bolt holes with the 5 mm allen key that holds the sensor on.you can squirt carb or brake cleaner in to clean all the road muck and grease build up off the sensor plate and then just use a rag on the end of your finger and turn the wheel. You can also clean the sensor the same way. If you remove the sensor make sure you have about 0.5 - 1mm gap between the sensor and the plate, othewise you'll get the abs warning light come on.i cleaned all 4 of mine and have had no trouble since, i'm sorry i never took pics but if i can answer any other questions just post here.
Old 26-10-11, 07:27 PM   #6
Inactive User

If you are unsure which abs sensor might be at fault, and got no pp on hand like me, just take a multimeter, set to resistance mode and measure them all up. Normal value for working abs sensor is 5.0~5.5 megaohms, whereas broken one will give you a signal that sensor is shorted.

Also in case the wires are reversed, for some crazy reason like i had, you will still get the abs fault and it will measure around 3.5 megaohms, so make sure you measure it same way every time, red on 1 black on 2. Dont be a fool like me, cut everything up and then solder it wrong
Old 26-10-11, 09:41 PM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks matt268uk great tips...on the front sensors is it the same 5mm allen key set up and if i was to say replace..not sure if you just did just clean.how easy are they to get off the back of the wheel..will some force be needed or simple pull off...after unbolting..

Battlestar another great tip..i havnt got PP yet..

Can you guys also tell me..the light comes up on dash when there is fault with the abs which i will either clean or change sensor..will the computer on the car see the fix and turn the fault off...or will i still need to get it reset either by garage or buy something to reset it...

and second does anyone know anything that cheaper than PP to reset abs and reads codes till i get the money to get PP..

Thanks again in advance

just remembered a washer or something to reduce the gap...is this always needed or only when to much rustect has build up...

Last edited by Fallenhero; 26-10-11 at 10:04 PM.
Old 26-10-11, 11:17 PM   #8
Inactive User

No need for pp mate, it will go away on its own once its all fixed up. Miltimeter is a good way to detect when sensor is knackered, dunno about just the dirty ones. Washers you need only in case when you need to increase the air gap between the sensor and whatever is on the other side, i think driveshaft.
Old 26-10-11, 11:23 PM   #9
Inactive User

Also, if you are in uk, theres alot of good blokes on this forum that can give you a hand and do the pp stuff. Theres a map of pp owners somwhere, something, god knows..
Old 27-10-11, 12:18 AM   #10

just spray a little wd40 around the allen key, the fronts from memory are easier than the rears,once the allen bolt has been removed they may be a little sticky,but you can lever them carefully and they will come away pretty easy,they are also easy to replace,its just a matter or unplugging the sensor and removing it. i bet they don't need replacing tho,just a clean,you're right when you say about the washer, you will need a very,very thin one,if you remove the sensor,clean the area where it sits and slide the sensor back into position,you can't go wrong as the sensor sits in a milled shape.you are looking for a 0.5 - 1 mm gap,beteen the sensor face and hub ring thats it, fixed,but like i say,i very much doubt they need replacing,just give the sensors,hub ring a good cleaning and put it all back together,after the first one the rest will be easy Hope this helps
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in