307sw 2.0L HDi (90) Clutch Advice - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-16, 03:38 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 307sw 2.0L HDi (90) Clutch Advice

Hi Guys,

Had my 307sw serviced today, and it is the first time I've had professional eyes across the vehicle...

I've had a little bit of clutch shudder with the car since I bought it - it's worse when its cold and isn't unbearable.

I asked the mechanic to have a look at it and let me know what he thinks. His words were "it's not too bad", but I haven't a clue what that actually means, or what he might have looked it, if anything.

The clutch also seems to be getting better the longer I drive it - I bought the car in London, and since I've had it out of the city I wonder if the style of driving is actually taking some uneven wear out of the clutch and flywheel.

I've also been digging around the forum regard the clutch kit, and have read that the 2.0L diesel (90hp) engine has a single mass flywheel. Is this true for all the 90hp engines?

So, with all that in mind, is the judder likely to be the clutch kit itself, or do you still think it likely that something external is causing the judder (engine mount or oil leak etc)? With the single mass flywheel, is it unlikely that I would need to change that if I got the clutch done?
And, roughly what should I expect to pay for someone to change the clutch for me?

Thanks very much guys!
SimonN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-16, 03:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonN View Post
I've also been digging around the forum regard the clutch kit, and have read that the 2.0L diesel (90hp) engine has a single mass flywheel. Is this true for all the 90hp engines?

So, with all that in mind, is the judder likely to be the clutch kit itself, or do you still think it likely that something external is causing the judder (engine mount or oil leak etc)?
Yes, single mass (or solid flywheel) in 90bhp engines.

The judder could be three things:

1) Badly fitted clutch.

2) Poor quality clutch. Valeo are generally regarded the best for judder-free.

3) Engine mounts. I had a judder which went when I swapped all three engine mounts - the bottom one for a Powerflex.
SimonN likes this.
Old 20-07-16, 03:56 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Yes, single mass (or solid flywheel) in 90bhp engines.

The judder could be three things:

1) Badly fitted clutch.

2) Poor quality clutch. Valeo are generally regarded the best for judder-free.

3) Engine mounts. I had a judder which went when I swapped all three engine mounts - the bottom one for a Powerflex.
Thanks Gibbo.
Would you add worn clutch to the list?
And, if I can live with it, do I need to do anything about it, or is there other damage happening?

Old 20-07-16, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonN View Post
Thanks Gibbo.
Would you add worn clutch to the list?
And, if I can live with it, do I need to do anything about it, or is there other damage happening?
From personal experience, no. All I've had is high revs as the clutch slips. Maybe a slight clunk as the clutch goes down, which is the thrust release bearing.

So long as the judder isn't too violent and causing wear on the engine mounts, it could be worth seeing if it beds in.

But check those three mounts, that costs nothing but time.
SimonN likes this.
Old 20-07-16, 04:07 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
From personal experience, no. All I've had is high revs as the clutch slips. Maybe a slight clunk as the clutch goes down, which is the thrust release bearing.

So long as the judder isn't too violent and causing wear on the engine mounts, it could be worth seeing if it beds in.

But check those three mounts, that costs nothing but time.
Thanks mate - that is extremely reassuring!
Like I said, it's actually getting better the more I drive it, so it could be that the clutch that was put in was not the greatest quality, and this is why the last owner sold it.

I'll check out the mounts just to be sure, and keep an eye on them!

Really appreciated!!!
Old 20-07-16, 09:39 PM   #6

Default Judder

I am getting a judder at startup and a thud sound every now and again juddery gear changes .. on Inspection the R H Engine mount rubber is badly split So phoned dealers 93 for the Mounting

this may point you in the right direction to the cause of your Judder
SimonN likes this.
Old 20-07-16, 09:56 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagn View Post
I am getting a judder at startup and a thud sound every now and again juddery gear changes .. on Inspection the R H Engine mount rubber is badly split So phoned dealers 93 for the Mounting

this may point you in the right direction to the cause of your Judder
Thanks Jagn - I'll get onto looking at those mounts
Old 21-07-16, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagn View Post
I got a genuine Febi one from a Ebay parts business in Germany. I think it was 63 in total.
Old 21-07-16, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
I got a genuine Febi one from a Ebay parts business in Germany. I think it was 63 in total.
delivery time .. got a Gatwick trip coming up so May have to just pay a fortune out cannot keep driving it like this (although keeping driving to a minimum ) It will just Knock out other mountings

Just an Update Have sourced a Genuine replacement from a Dealer 40 including Courier delivery (dealer has stopped doing business with Pugs ) Result

Last edited by Jagn; 21-07-16 at 11:13 AM.
Jagn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-07-16, 08:55 AM   #10

From personal experience, a judder could be a dodgy flywheel (this has recently happened to me, resulting in the car being beyond economical repair), ageing driveshaft has also been postulated, as well as a thrust bearing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in