307cc 2005 MOT Failure (only had 4 months) - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-19, 03:38 PM   #1

Default 307cc 2005 MOT Failure (only had 4 months)

Well took car in for MOT and has failed on quite a few things.

To get it thru they priced up work inc parts and VAT £605

Work required :

2 x Rear Calipers
2 x Hand Brake cables
Front Exhaust with CAT
Drop Links

I priced the parts up for around £200

Think I can do the basics like calipers and handbrake cables and even drop links if dont require grinding nuts off, but dont think I could do front exhaust

Not particularly happy since I only purchased 4 months ago from a dealer, so far I have had to replace 2 rear tires, window regulator, rear light cluster.

Dealer replaced clutch within first 30 days.

Have emailed them but not expecting much any ideas where I stand with this.
jpskiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-03-19, 04:35 PM   #2

Hi...i'm suprised the car didnt have a full mot when you bought it..and you bought it with a short M.O.T.?...with hindsight perhaps not the best decision.....I think there is a 90 day warranty but perhaps thats expired...but you are doing the right thing by repairing it yourself...also a second opinion may help...and why do they need to replace the parts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-03-19, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
Hi...i'm suprised the car didnt have a full mot when you bought it..and you bought it with a short M.O.T.?...with hindsight perhaps not the best decision.....I think there is a 90 day warranty but perhaps thats expired...but you are doing the right thing by repairing it yourself...also a second opinion may help...and why do they need to replace the parts?
They don't need to replace parts just quoted for all work required

Never bought from dealers before always private, but did not expect this
bit more breakdown of MOT

DO NOT DRIVE UNTIL REPAIRED
Parking brake efficiency less than 50%

REPAIR IMMEDIATELY (MAJOR)
Exhaust has major leak (front pipe/cat corroded and blowing)
Emissions not tested
Brake lever has insufficient reverse travel
Side repeater incorrect colour nearside (bulb)
Anti Roll bar joint excessively worn offside front lower
Brake cable damaged Offside rear (cable fraying)
Brake Cable damaged Nearside Rear (cable broken/snapped)
Service brake excessively binding nearside rear

ADVISORIES
Front offside tyre worn on edge
Suspension arm pin or bush worn both sides

PARTS I PRICED
Exhaust front pipe + Cat £100
Drop Links x2 £20
Brake Calipers x2 £60 (could get repair kit, but don't really have time to start stripping and rebuilding them)
Brake Cables x2 £25

I recon I can do most just not sure I can replace exhaust parts

Last edited by jpskiller; 26-03-19 at 04:47 PM.

Old 26-03-19, 07:04 PM   #4

Rear calipers could just be jammed pads its quite common as the pads wear and build up of dirt and debris in caliper makes the pads tight
Gibbo and jpskiller like this.
Old 26-03-19, 08:46 PM   #5

Could also be the rotten cables making the calipers not work i would replace the cables ONLY to start with the rest of it is just wear and tear items to be fair drop links are practically a throw away part nowadays with all the potholes and speedhumps on our roads.

Exhaust may just be dodgy clamps depends where its blowing doing the clutch may have contributed to it getting loose.
Old 27-03-19, 07:07 AM   #6

You not realised how crap the handbrake is and only holds on one side lol

Drop links are easy enough but make sure you have a grinder if there seized they will never fit in the hole properly when new so you sort of have to force them straight or you might strip the threads

Handbrake cables are ok if you can get the car in the air enough and just adjust them up afterwards

I wouldn’t replace the calipers until the cables are done personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-19, 04:19 PM   #7

I really only have fri and sat to work on it

Well started work so far done nearside drop link, had to grind bottom nut off, checked offside but looks like been done recently, why not done pair i dont know.

Fitted handbrake cables, and now taken rear caliper off, seems brake pads are sticking, could do with getting carrier off and give good clean with wire brush.

Anyone know the size of torx required to remove carriers.
Old 06-04-19, 07:07 PM   #8

Found it its a T50,dont have one so will need to get one plus some proper wire brushes
Old 13-04-19, 01:28 PM   #9

Default Cat replacement

2005 - pre-facelift

Has anyone got a guide on how to replace this on pre-facelift model, I cant see how you get to the front pipe clamp, only guide on you tube I can find is for 307 model which is completely different underneath.
Old 13-04-19, 06:43 PM   #10

Could not get the rear brake carriers of, ended up twisting my new TORX socket, cleaned in place got brake pads freed up.

Mate managed to get exhaust cat replaced today, massive PITA job, on the original the sensors holes where drilled into pipe, with replacement the mounting holes are welded on which adds an extract 1/2 inch, very tight fit underneath now.

New clamp for front pipe which came with exhaust the bolt just bent when tightened up, thankfully the original clamp was usable, and noticed bolt on that a lot thicker, much higher quality, possible original as the cat doses not look to have been changes just some half bodged welding repair job near middle section.

Car had not been started for 2 weeks, when I got it to start before cat replacement got engine error - anti pollution fault (first time seen error and been blowing for a while), after replacing cat error gone.

Just got to get it in for new MOT fingers crossed, last time emissions not tested due to cat/blow.

Wish me luck.

Will keep informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in