307 still breaking down. New thoughts - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-16, 10:07 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 307 still breaking down. New thoughts

In my previous post, I mentioned that my 307 XSi 136 is occasionally breaking down. This comes with no warning and feels like the engine has simply shut down.

I did have the DPF Fluid Low message so I took it back to the garage that I bought it from and they sorted that out. I then thought it was solved as I did a 600mile + trip without any problems.

However... Last week, I took it on a 25 mile trip in which it broke down in a dangerous location requiring the assistance of AA and the police (for their mad traffic calming skillz lol). Previously when this happened, if I waited 10 minutes, the car would start. But given the location, I tried a few times before the 10 minutes and pretty much flattened the battery. When the AA man got the car to a safe location, he opened the bonnet and used the hand priming pump. The car then started ok.

I have again just collected the car from the dealer as they had cleaned out the EGR valve to see if it was that. On the way back, again the car suddenly stopped. No warning lights, no engine light, it just cut out and I coasted to the side of the road. So, I got out, primed the pump, and it started again just fine.

Now, I could take the car back for a refund or changing to another car, but I really do like this one despite this fault. So could this possibly be something as obvious as the fuel pump?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
PugAndy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-06-16, 10:14 AM   #2
Inactive User

I forgot to add that when this fault occurred last week I had my Foxwell Data Logger attached to the car, so I can grab any data about fuel rail pressure etc at the point of failure if that helps?
Old 16-06-16, 10:50 AM   #3

Best bet would be to leave the dealer well alone. Another example of dealers not up to standard.

You're best getting the car diagnosed on Peugeot Planet or Diagbox, and getting live data. That should throw up a few clues at the very least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 16-06-16, 11:05 AM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymarsbar View Post
Best bet would be to leave the dealer well alone. Another example of dealers not up to standard.

You're best getting the car diagnosed on Peugeot Planet or Diagbox, and getting live data. That should throw up a few clues at the very least.
Agreed... I have kinda lost faith in the car as a result of this.

I do have Diagbox so will be hooking that up tonight to see what codes it brings up.

Thanks
Old 16-06-16, 05:46 PM   #5

It definitely sounds like it's fuel pressure related. I had a similar fault a couple of year ago, which my Diagbox correctly flagged as a fault high pressure sensor on the end of the rail. I don't remember it throwing the EML or a console message either. It didn't show straight away in Diagbox though, the symptoms had to happen a few times.
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-06-16, 09:01 PM   #6

If priming the fuel bulb gets it started that would suggest it has an air leak in on the fuel system
storeman likes this.
Old 16-06-16, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugAndy View Post
In my previous post, I mentioned that my 307 XSi 136 is occasionally breaking down. This comes with no warning and feels like the engine has simply shut down.

I did have the DPF Fluid Low message so I took it back to the garage that I bought it from and they sorted that out. I then thought it was solved as I did a 600mile + trip without any problems.

However... Last week, I took it on a 25 mile trip in which it broke down in a dangerous location requiring the assistance of AA and the police (for their mad traffic calming skillz lol). Previously when this happened, if I waited 10 minutes, the car would start. But given the location, I tried a few times before the 10 minutes and pretty much flattened the battery. When the AA man got the car to a safe location, he opened the bonnet and used the hand priming pump. The car then started ok.

I have again just collected the car from the dealer as they had cleaned out the EGR valve to see if it was that. On the way back, again the car suddenly stopped. No warning lights, no engine light, it just cut out and I coasted to the side of the road. So, I got out, primed the pump, and it started again just fine.

Now, I could take the car back for a refund or changing to another car, but I really do like this one despite this fault. So could this possibly be something as obvious as the fuel pump?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Sounds very much like crank sensor, (not saying it is 100%) but Windy on here pointed me in this direction once.

Turned out that once the cars up to normal running temps the sensor expands (as called heat soaked) with heat and loses its connection causing a glitch and then no running....You say after waiting so long you can start again and that might be because the sensor has contracted and re-made circuit so the ecu allows the firing to injectors to happen.

I'm pretty sure this will not show as a fault either (unless its open circuit at the time) you get a planet (diagnostics) on it.

I had a guy want me to do a diagnostic not long ago and after he explained the same things I told him to do the same and he called to say it was all sorted.
mooseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-06-16, 10:22 AM   #8
Inactive User

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I am just trying to set up Diagbox so will plug that in to see what errors show. Then I am taking it back to the garage with the information as so far, I have done all the Diagnostic legwork (with help from those on this forum of course)

Many thanks!
Old 20-06-16, 01:18 PM   #9
Inactive User

Ok, just got the car back after the garage replaced the fuel pump. They apparently took it for a long test drive and it didn't fail.

However, I have had it back 3 hours and it's failed 3 times. It appears to be fuel related as when it does this, I open the bonnet, squeeze the bellows on the fuel filter enclosure and the car starts first time.

Now that I have the car back, I am going to plug diagbox into it, but given what it's doing, I bet no codes will show up.

I wonder if it's a fuel filter problem or a fuel pump relay perhaps? Any advice would be gratefully received as I love the car and I truly believe it has to be something simple that's causing this problem.
Old 20-06-16, 01:40 PM   #10

Does it have a lift/sender unit in the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in