307 Pulsating revs and Engine Management System Warning - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-01-13, 09:10 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 307 Pulsating revs and Engine Management System Warning

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 307cc and have a strange fault.
The car ran fine when i bought it but has now developed a fault. When you start the car it will rev freely up to 2k without touching the throttle and then the revs will pulse/fluctuate between 1 and 1.5k revs about once a second and gives the warning Engine Management Sysytem Faulty which i beleive is a generic code which could mean multiple things. It also sounds as though it is firing on 3 cylinders when it is doing this but sounds like it is firing on all 4 when you initially start the car.

I have changed the coolant sensor in case it had cracked and water/coolant had seeped into the ecu but there was no sign of cracking and the connector was bone dry so i am 100% confident it is not this problem.

Once it has warmed up it will sit at 1k revs but still sound as though it is firing on 3 cylinders.

It also sounds slightly rattly at the top end, maybe a sticking lifter or rocker?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it is becoming a bit of a pain trying to work out what is wrong.
andy-w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-01-13, 09:45 AM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-w View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 307cc and have a strange fault.
The car ran fine when i bought it but has now developed a fault. When you start the car it will rev freely up to 2k without touching the throttle and then the revs will pulse/fluctuate between 1 and 1.5k revs about once a second and gives the warning Engine Management Sysytem Faulty which i beleive is a generic code which could mean multiple things. It also sounds as though it is firing on 3 cylinders when it is doing this but sounds like it is firing on all 4 when you initially start the car.

I have changed the coolant sensor in case it had cracked and water/coolant had seeped into the ecu but there was no sign of cracking and the connector was bone dry so i am 100% confident it is not this problem.

Once it has warmed up it will sit at 1k revs but still sound as though it is firing on 3 cylinders.

It also sounds slightly rattly at the top end, maybe a sticking lifter or rocker?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it is becoming a bit of a pain trying to work out what is wrong.
To be fair it is hard to speculate on a matter like this.

I would recommend an immediate diagnostic test via Peugeot Planet or similar either by yourself, local dealer or garage.
Old 23-01-13, 09:58 AM   #3
Inactive User

Yeah i am currently looking for a copy of PP and the cables.

At the moment the car cant be driven on the roads as it will not go over 1.5k revs and the pug dealer is about 3 mile away.

I am just seeing if anyone has had similar issue and had a solution.

Old 23-01-13, 10:10 AM   #4
Inactive User

There are lots of possible reasons so rather than throwing money at it, be sure to get a diagnostic to pinpoint the issues. For example I have heard of it being to name a few;

- Engine ECU faulty
- O2 sensor faulty
- injector fault
- ignition coil fault
- engine wiring loom / connectors issue eg. water problems

The one it sounds most like is an issue with the Sagem SL96 engine management ECU. On older Peugeot models with this ECU there was an issue where this ECU blows due to the ignition coils failing. This then causes misfires and irratic idle speeds. However I am unaware of this ECU being fitted to 307 models and was only used until 2002 if I remember rightly.

Diagnostic is key from Peugeot Planet or Diagbox... without this you will be simply guessing and not doing yourself any favours.
Old 23-01-13, 10:21 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt002 View Post
There are lots of possible reasons so rather than throwing money at it, be sure to get a diagnostic to pinpoint the issues. For example I have heard of it being to name a few;

- Engine ECU faulty
- O2 sensor faulty
- injector fault
- ignition coil fault
- engine wiring loom / connectors issue eg. water problems

The one it sounds most like is an issue with the Sagem SL96 engine management ECU. On older Peugeot models with this ECU there was an issue where this ECU blows due to the ignition coils failing. This then causes misfires and irratic idle speeds. However I am unaware of this ECU being fitted to 307 models and was only used until 2002 if I remember rightly.

Diagnostic is key from Peugeot Planet or Diagbox... without this you will be simply guessing and not doing yourself any favours.
Looking at buying a copy of PP...i can get one for 80...it will cost nearly that to get the car towed to pug dealer and have them read a code to me...!
Oh - and it is a 2006 model and is not using a sagem ecu...

Last edited by andy-w; 23-01-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 23-01-13, 10:23 AM   #6
Inactive User

A very similar thing just happened to my 206, with the erratic revving and engine management light. Local garage advised a new battery and stepper motor. They took the stepper motor out I think, and it seemed to cure the revving problem, but now it runs like a dog. Maybe they cleaned it a little or something.
SacreBleu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in