307 Lost 5th Gear - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-08-17, 06:29 PM   #1

Default 307 Lost 5th Gear

I have a 2002 307sw 1.6 Petrol that has been jumping out of 5th gear for a few days but now lost 5th gear altogether. I have read that a nut will have come loose on the shaft but it can be fixed in situ by taking the end plate off to access it.
I could really do with some good advice on how to proceed.
The car drives well in all other gears but mpg really suffering.
Cockney Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-08-17, 07:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rich View Post
I have a 2002 307sw 1.6 Petrol that has been jumping out of 5th gear for a few days but now lost 5th gear altogether. I have read that a nut will have come loose on the shaft but it can be fixed in situ by taking the end plate off to access it.
I could really do with some good advice on how to proceed.
The car drives well in all other gears but mpg really suffering.
Your Nut is probably the cause of this indeed. Repair is fairly simple. If you have a hoist, that is great as you dont have to work in the ground. But you can do it on the ground as well. Lift up the left side pretty high, this make the oil go into the transmission and you dont have to take of the oil.

Now take of the wheel and make sure you have clear access to the cover.
This cover has 3x 13mm bolts in there. Take them out and take of the cover. The left shaft is your primary one and the gear will be fixed with a springloaded clip. The right shaft is your secundairy shaft that is shifted.. This one has a Nut on there(27 or 32mm). In order to fixate it again, you have to make sure your synchro ring nodges are aligned with the selector hub. You will see the whole ring if its not in there, when its aligned good, it will almost dissapear in the selector hub.
WHen you have the ring in there, push it towards the gear and then tighten the nut. Would advice to put some locktide on it and use a proper tool to lock it on the shaft. After you've done that, check the axial play on the secundairy shaft. This should be somewhere around 0.3mm. If its to tight, you have something worn, or your synchro ring isnt sitting right. If its okay, check if you can freely rotate the secundairy shaft while the transmission is in neutral. If it works, put it in 5th gear and see if the collar sits good agains the gear. If that looks good, assemble it and drive it.
Any questions, just ask.
mclain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-08-17, 11:42 AM   #3

Just had a look, the shift retaining nut has lost its thread. So hopefully when I replace it, all will be well.

Old 30-08-17, 10:22 AM   #4

All sorted....

Who can believe a single nut can cause so much trouble?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in