Peugeot Forums banner

307 HDI Clutch bite action

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  reliable406 
#1 ·
Hi
Few days ago our 307 HDI 110 clutch went a bit strange, it seems the whole of the clutch movement has gone down to half the travel of the pedal.

The top of the travel is loose and doesn't feel like its engaging anything, after that the clutch operates before the pedal hits the floor.

I have experience of older cable and simple hydraulic systems, but never touched the 307 clutch system.

It doesn't feel like the clutch system, so Im assuming its the master or slave. Any thoughts of how to eliminate either so I replace the faulty component.

Dave

#4 ·
its intermittent

on the way to work yesterday it was playing up, on the way home it was fine, then later when I took it out it played up again.

If its mechanical surely it wouldn't get better, and like wise if its air in the fluid, it wouldn't come and go?

The function of the clutch plate, friction plate and release bearing feels fine, just a long way down the pedal some times.

Not sure what to do, so will see how it goes over the weekend.

Thanks

Dave

#6 ·
The heat expands the fluid so it gets better then when cold it contracts costs nothing to check the fluid level

My espace does the same if left for a week you sometimes have to pull the pedal up with your foot but once warmed up its fine but they are hard to fill and have no bleed screw so are a pain to bleed so i just leave it :)

#7 ·
I would start by bleeding the clutch hydraulics and replacing the fluid if you can. Can't remember that detail on the 307, my current 308 has a bleed nipple on the clutch cylinder.

The other thing unfortunately is that the DMF can give clutch problems when it's on the way. Well that's waht happened to my 307 110 HDi according to the previous owner.

#9 ·
If the fluid is low you will notice a difference within a few miles it does not need bled it will actually fix itself as the action of the pedal and the vibration agitates the fluid and forces the air to the top.

You can speed this up on cars with external slaves by forcing the piston fully in a few times this pushes fluid back through system forcing the air out.

#10 ·
Ok, the fluid was low, but no minimum mark on the reservoir, so filled it to max.

Initially it still felt low but after a few pumps it felt ok.

However , the following morning the pedal was on the floor, but again after a few pumps worked ok.

My thought is its the master cylinder seal gone,

Anyone any other ideas?

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.