307 hdi 2.0 diesel 2003 drive belt problems - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-12-11, 05:13 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 307 hdi 2.0 diesel 2003 drive belt problems

Hi just looking for some help i was driving car and my drive belt fell off the belt looks in pretty good condition and all wheels move ( air con alternator etc) in the haynes guide it shows three marks on the automatic tensioner my tensioner is at the point where it says change the belt.

If i buy a new belt how do i reset my tensioner as i thought it was automatic i have tried moving the tensioner by hand with the belt off and it seems solid so im thinking the tensioner could be stuck solid.

So what im asking is does the tensioner move by hand?

Should the tensioner move back to original position when belt is off?

Also if the tensioner is not going back to the original position this must mean tensioner is seized?

Any help would be great thanks
gavt84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-12-11, 05:27 PM   #2

If you buy a new AUX belt and tensioner the tensioner will be in a closed type of position,once you have bolted the new tensioner on and fitted the new belt there is a little screw or bolt that you remove and it then tensions the belt.Don't undo the bolt on the tensioner until its all fitted and the new belt is on otherwise you'll be trying to fit the new belt over a very tight system of pully's.
Old 18-12-11, 06:12 PM   #3
Inactive User

thanks for reply should the tensioner automatically go back to its original position when the belt is taken off at the moment the belt is off and the tensioner is at the position where it states change the belt. i am trying to find out if the tensioner is faulty or not. is there a way to check the tensioner?

Old 19-12-11, 02:19 AM   #4

The answer to that is no,once you take the tensioning bolt out of the tensioner it stays in the in the in the open and tensioned position,when you buy the new tensioner they are pre loaded,from what i can remember the spring is so strong i doubt you'd move it,i would go ahead ,order an AUX belt and tensioner from euro car parts and replace them at the same time,if you remove the front wheel,remove the arch liner and you'll have access to the tensioner,mabe worth taking a pic of the belt before removing so you have an idea on replacing with all the different pully's it goes around, replace the tensioner,then fit the belt,then take out the tensioning bolt and it will spring open and hold the belt and the correct tension for you,replace the arch liner and wheel and your done,its not hard and well worth doing yourself,you'll save about 150 in labour if you supply the parts and do it yourself.
Again just a warning, do not remove the tensioning bolt until its all fitted and the belts back on,you'll see the bolt i'm talking about once you see the new roller.
Old 19-12-11, 10:29 AM   #5
Inactive User

after looking at the car this morning tensioner is moving freely with spanner but when belt is fitted it is still really loose, according to manual there should be a idler puller between air con and alternator pulley i cant see this so im thinking it has sheared off, is this possible and if so where can i get a new one i cant seem to find them on the net.

thanks
Old 19-12-11, 11:35 AM   #6

Euro car parts is a good place to start.
Old 04-10-13, 05:55 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt268uk View Post
Euro car parts is a good place to start.
Sorry to dig up this thread. I have has a failed alternator. I have changed the tensioner but my tensioner had no bolt/screw that you talk about here. It is a spring loaded tensioner with a hex head 15mm bolt that I can just about move to its fully open position (very exhausting). My problem lies with the belt. I have bought a new one and have checked that it is the same size as my old one which it is. When I come to fit it I am having to screwdriver the belt onto the pulley. I tend to try the idler as it is the only pully without a lip. From previous experience with other cars I have found that when the system is Untensioned (made that word up) I can easily apply the belt and then the tension and we're off. On my 307 it's such a tight fit its a two man job to get the belt on. With it being so tight I have come to the conclusion that maybe one of the pullys is the incorrect size. Is this even possible or should it be soooo haaarrrrddd to put on. Any help appreciated
Old 04-10-13, 08:52 PM   #8

even with the tensioner all the way out the belts are still a pig to fit.

they changed the length of the belt at some point so its slightly shorter now

i ran all mine round the pulleys then turned the crank pulley over to get it on the last pulley
Old 04-10-13, 08:58 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9120 View Post
even with the tensioner all the way out the belts are still a pig to fit.

they changed the length of the belt at some point so its slightly shorter now

i ran all mine round the pulleys then turned the crank pulley over to get it on the last pulley
That's how we eventually got it on including a quick flick of the starter to realign it properly. Without two people though would be impossible I seem to have to move the tensioner it's full movement and its still feeling as though one of the pulleys needs at least a 5mm smaller diameter.
Old 04-10-13, 09:13 PM   #10

i must be lucky ive managed it at least 5 times on my own

you can use a small drill bit to lock the tensioner open
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in