307 HDI 1.6 55 plate - scary moment - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-07-16, 08:11 PM   #1

Default 307 HDI 1.6 55 plate - scary moment

On my way home tonight I was travelling up an incline on the motorway when I decided to give the car the beans. Moments later the engine was sitting on the govenors and would not turn off via the key. Loads of blue smoke and just before that I thought I heard a tapping noise like a sticking injector

Manage to stall the engine and coast it to a stop on the hard shoulder, after a few minutes I started the car and it ran ok.

As the seals and nuts were replaced recently, could they need re-tightening as I think they could be drawing air through, or could it be oil enting into the combustion chamber?

Your thoughts please
Dr Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-16, 09:20 PM   #2

Turbo seals leaking oil into inlet and it ran on the oil most likely or the breather is blowing too much oil into intake from rocker cover best thing to do when this happens is keep clutch up and use brake to slow engine till it stops revving as turning it of wont work.

Modern diesels dont have governors ecu controls all fueling.
Old 20-07-16, 09:27 AM   #3

Many thanks for the reply, little update, the car ran ok this morning, only a 10 mile run to work, although there was more white smoke than usual when I started it from cold. I've had continuing problems with the injectors not sealing. Is it best to tighten them when or cold?

As the car ran ok with no blue smoke this morning when it warmed up, is it safe to assume the extra pressure from the intake side of the turbo would draw some of the oil mixture from the breather into the turbo and then into the combustion chamber.

As I deliberately kept the engine below 2.5k rpm to keep the intake pressure down, no long inclines at over 3k rpm, as oil being drawn into the turbo is, I fell, the most probable as the ambient air temperature was over 28c and the car had covered over 60 miles at this point, the oil would be relatively thin.

I will check the oil level as I have read this is critical to this series of engine.

Old 20-07-16, 07:34 PM   #4

returned home ok and removed the air intake duct from the MAF to the turbo. This had oil from the junction with the rocker cover breather to the turbo.

I noticed the o ring from the rocker cover to the main pipe had failed. This would account for the small oil leak.

Checked the oil level and it was slightly above the mark, it also had a burnt smell. Time to change it soon.
Old 20-07-16, 08:23 PM   #5

Above the mark could indicate overfueling or failed regens and the extra diesel is getting into the oil thinning it even more.

There is generally always a little oil in the intake pipe did you check the turbo shaft for excess play ?
Jagn likes this.
Old 21-07-16, 07:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply

I've checked the end float of the turbo impellor shaft and all feels fine, the scroll blades rotate freely on the shaft. It looks as if the turbo has been replaced at some point as there are a couple of shiny clamps and bolts around the unit. I've also noticed the o ring from the rocker cover vent to the air pipe has failed accounting for the slight oil leak in that area

As its been 4,000 since its last service, so its about due, not bad for under 2 months running.

On checking the invoice from the garage, I notice they used semi-synthetic oil instead of fully synthetic. As the oil has a burnt smell, I'll invest in the oil filter socket and do the job myself using fully synthetic oil when I return from holidays. I'm busy making friends with the Parts department with my local dealership! I like to keep the oil fresh in the sump

As the semi synth has a lower boiling point, I may have overheated the oil leading to the event on Tuesday evening.

I was thinking of upgrading the 307 for either a 308 or 3008 around Christmas, I'm a little reticent following these recent events with the engine racing and persistent white smoke and rough running at start up and the injector seals. I would be looking at another 1.6 or possibly the 2.0 depending on the vehcile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in