307 gearbox question - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-16, 08:18 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 307 gearbox question

Hi folks, I drive a 03 307 1.4 hdi, there apears to be a high pitch whine while driving. The whine disappears when I press the clutch.
Is this the gearbox? And also will a citroen 1.4 hdi gearbox fit?

Thanks
jasonhibees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-07-16, 08:33 AM   #2

Sounds like the input shaft bearing is failing in the gearbox quite a common fault. Citroen box should fit but check the code on the gearbox to be 100%
Old 26-07-16, 08:50 AM   #3
Inactive User

Is it an MA gearbox? If that's what is on the citroen will that do?
jasonhibees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-07-16, 05:02 PM   #4

MA is general gearbox type there is a code on the front of the box with the gearbox code something like 20CQ55 or similar which needs to be the same or compatible (if you post last 8 digits of VIN we can look up correct code)
Old 25-01-17, 02:17 AM   #5

Default input shaft, or not?

hi - i have a 2006 307hdi diesel 6spd manual that has developed a noise/vibration.

from what i have read it sounds most likely like the input shaft bearing, but keen to hear of anyone having an alternative opinion.

the clutch works fine, no noticeable loss of power, slipping, shudder or anything like that.

the noise seems to be worse when under load and also when cold (but that might just be me) and it also feels like there is a slight vibration fed back up through the throttle pedal/steering etc.

i jacked it up and let the wheels go round in gear and checked the wheel bearings (noise is actually like a wheel bearing almost) and it didn't seem to be that. it's like a gravel-ly noise and not necessarily persistent.

in neutral standing still, it is very slightly noticeable but almost impossible to hear over the engine noise. as i depress the clutch the noise changes depending on how far the clutch is in and i can feel it on the clutch pedal as i move through the clutch travel. clutch on the floor and it's almost non-existent, but i only need to release a little for it to begin the noise and then it kind of starts to reduce as i let it all the way up.

i highly suspect an input bearing on the gearbox is the culprit but weary that it might also be the flywheel, thrust bearing or something else. obviously pulling the box is not a menial task so interested in what others think. i'd also be interested in getting an idea of what to do next (i.e. how urgent it is) given i have only one car and it's something i'd opt to do myself.

i'm going to check and perhaps change the gearbox oil if anyone thinks that's def. worth a shot before going any further.

thanks!
buckettea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in