307 cc 2ltr HDI - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-17, 10:16 AM   #1
arc

Default 307 cc 2ltr HDI

Hi,

Have recently purchased a nice 2009 2ltr HDI and mainly being a petrol man the Diesel's are a little unknown to me.
I've read a few posts on issues with Diesel's especially the additive and dpf filter/valve playing up.
Can anyone confirm what preventative maintenance i can carry out to minimize any hassle with these and associated items

Car has covered 67k miles and last serviced in March this year. I'm trying to get the records of the service to see what was done but no luck so far.

Any help/advise greatly appreciated.
thanks
arc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-17, 10:52 AM   #2

2009 sounds a little late for a 307?

The diesel engine is much more suited to longer trips at higher speed. Using the car to nip down the road for a pint of milk isn't the best way to use the car.

The DPF filter can clog up, mainly due to the car not being driven correctly (ie. few long motorway runs).

The way the DPF filter works is a quantity of fuel additive is squirted into the diesel tank every time you open the fuel filler cap. This additive reduces the temperature that the particulates burn at.

The DPF captures particulates created by the combustion process, and as the exhaust gases heat up the DPF, the particulates turn to ash and are expelled out. This whole process is called a regeneration process, or regen, as it regenerates the filter and clears it out.

The car MUST be doing at least 2100rpm in 4th gear or higher in order for the engine to work hard enough and the exhaust gases to get hot enough to burn off the particulates.

This is why short trips are no good for these cars. The exhaust simply doesn't get hot enough, and the filter clogs.

Blockages in the DPF can have knock-on effects, such as turbo failures. And it's not an easy job on this engine to replace the turbo!

Also, the glow plugs need to be working, as does the cooling fan, EGR and coolant systems, in order for the car to regen.

It's also worth noting that your fuel additive will run out quicker if you only put 20 of diesel in at a time. The amount of additive that gets injected into the fuel is the same, whether you put 6 litres or 60 litres of diesel in the tank.

Keep on top of the oil changes, use good quality oil. Ensure that the car has a frequent long run on the motorway, most people stay in 4th gear whilst doing a constant 70mph for a good half hour.

Everything else is common sense - look after it and it'll look after you. It's a cracking engine, as long as it's cared for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-17, 11:43 AM   #3
arc

Thanks Jimmy.

Yes i thought a 2009 model should be a 308 but it checks out and all papers are correct.
Good advise on giving it a blast , i do roughly 30 miles a day but its mainly A roads so a good run of a weekend sounds like a good idea.
Good advise on filling up, was thinking of keeping 1/2 tank as a min but sounds like running low then a full tank of fresh will benefit more.
I've no reason to suspect issues and have a clean(no faults logged)dash to start with.
Was thinking , would my pp2000 show what's been re-set or adjusted lately . Just to trying and see what's been done in the past

Thanks

Old 07-06-17, 12:12 PM   #4

Diagbox can show the fault code history, planet doesn't have this feature.

A handy way of getting some idea of the cars service history is checking the MOT history on the .gov website, it can give you an indication of what parts have needed replacing in order to pass the MOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-17, 01:23 PM   #5
arc

Have got the mot history which has only advisories on it.
Was hoping any history or pp2000 would have indicated if the magnetic counters had been re-set when or if the additive tank was replenished.
Old 07-06-17, 04:30 PM   #6

You can get an idea if the tank has been refilled and counters reset but it wont tell you exactly.

For example the fluid will last between 60 and 100k miles generally depending on fill up frequencies 80 seems about norm so if car had 100k miles and counters say it has lots left then its been reset.

At 67k i would expect it to be getting low though

The software tends to think the DPF needs changed at 100k miles so if it says distance since last filter is a lot then thats been reset too but dont worry too much they dont NEED replaced they just need told its been replaced my last car had nearly 200k on the original filter
Old 09-06-17, 08:12 AM   #7
arc

Thanks for the update .
I'll check pp2000 this weekend and see what i can find.
Can i physically check the additive tank to see its level or do i just wait for it to run low.
Car was last serviced in March this year and the receipt shows 16.95 for tank additive. I queried this with the garage and they confirmed its a fuel additive they put directly in the fuel tank to aid the regen process. The regen tank in the rear was not touched.

Does this make sense to anyone. Is there an additive that can be put directly in the fuel tank as well ?

thanks
Old 09-06-17, 09:25 AM   #8

It was probably a bottle of Wynns DPF cleaner or similar. The fluid for the additive tank is different, it's probably Eolys, although there are other variants of additive.

You still need the additive tank to have fluid in it, simply dropping a can of Wynns in the diesel isn't the same as the additive tank

Old 09-06-17, 09:26 AM   #9

.... And AdBlue isn't the right stuff for the additive tank.

Old 09-06-17, 09:39 AM   #10
arc

ok got ya.
So Eolys in the regen tank only. Is there a inspection window or some sort of measurement i can see on the regen tank to gauge whats in there.

Does an additive in the fuel tank help at all. I'd rather be preventative and try to avoid issues than be reactive and wait for something to fail. Any recommendations on products out there ?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in