307 abs fault light on - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-14, 12:26 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 307 abs fault light on

Hi guys,

Firstly I would like to apologise as I know this subject has been done to death over and over again and again!!!

I have a 02 307 XSI 2.0 petrol, which has had the dreaded abs fault light appear!!!

It's not the first time either, but I have successfully fixed it in the past.
Last time was 2 years ago, when I bought the car from the in laws with the abs fault, but it had been diagnosed on a snap-on modus machine as o/s/r sensor. It came with a replacement sensor which made no difference, until I stumbled across a thread on here about the rust problem.

Cleaned and packed with a washer and out went the light!!! Result!!!
I will just add I'm an experienced mechanic with many years in the trade but this is the first time at owning a pug, so had not come across these issues before.

Anyhow, roughly 2 weeks ago the light came on again! I had put new pads in the rear when I repaired the fault last time but I had an inkling it would be a sensor again and knew it now was close to needing new rear discs so decided to do all the work at one time. I set about it and removed everything to get at the n/s/r sensor and sure enough the sensor was being pushed away from the magnetic pick up by the rust on the hub carrier body where it mounts. Cleaned up and all put back together with a packing washer to set gap to a fag paper gap and onto the o/s/r, stripped down, sensor gap paper thin so refitted with new brakes and all done!!! Take it for a drive, 20 yards light comes on!!!! 2-3 miles light still on!!!!

So I stop and turned off the car for a few minutes and then set about taking a slightly extended roadtest, 20ish miles later no light! I'm thinking woohoo fixed it, then I had to go through a large unavoidable puddle due to oncoming traffic and beep, abs fault in display and light back on!!!

This made me wonder about the safety recall for abs faults that I have paperwork for in the history that came with the car, so i dig the letters out.
One is about an abs wiring fault in the engine bay, can cause a fire risk, dated 2006.
The other is about water ingress into abs ecu dated 2008.
Neither of these letters have validation stamps, but the previous owner(prior to in laws) had penciled in dates/times for recalls to be carried out!

I phoned local peugeot stealer yesterday and they confirmed that my vehicle has had these recalls carried out. I'll have to take their word on it, but I'am not 100% convinced.

I will be trying to get the car hooked up to a work colleagues Snap-On Solus over the next few days to check exactly what is at fault, whether it be a sensor coherency fault or sensor failure, or if it's the abs ecu that's gone down? Until then I'm left feeling frustrated with the car, and it worries me that my wife and kids have to use it as were a one car family! My wife knows to be careful and leave a bit of extra distance and that it will lock up if she hammers the brakes in an emergency, but not much else I can do for now.

What I was wondering is, what am I looking for to check if the water ingress recall has been done??? I've heard they fit a 'shower cap' type of thing to the ecu in the n/s/f wheel arch, is this true?? What else should I look for??
What are the particular symptoms of this fault occurring? I have had no banging/whirring,pumping noises from the n/s/f as in other threads on here and while the light is off, for very short periods at the start of any journeys, the abs works! It's only after maybe 20yds minimum up to half a mile that the light illuminates!

Also the wiring recall, what does that involve and what should I look for if I wish to check that has been done too??

Other than the rusted mating faces of the rear sensors are there any other mechanical issues I need to check for?? Is there any known issues with front sensors??? I don't think my vehicle has a yaw sensor as I don't think it has esp.

I see bettyswollocks seems to know their stuff as does windy1603!!
Can either of these guys shed any light on the subject for me????

Cheers guys!
307dan

Last edited by 307dan; 03-01-14 at 03:41 PM.
307dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-14, 12:32 PM   #2

the abs pumps have some kind of bag over them. none of my 307s do though
Old 01-01-14, 12:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 307dan View Post
Hi guys,

Firstly I would like to apologise as I know this subject has been done to death over and over again and again!!!

I have a 02 307 XSI 2.0 petrol, which has had the dreaded abs fault light appear!!!

It's not the first time either, but I have successfully fixed it in the past.
Last time was 2 years ago, when I bought the car from the in laws with the abs fault, but it had been diagnosed on a snap-on modus machine as o/s/r sensor. It came with a replacement sensor which made no difference, until I stumbled across a thread on here about the rust problem.

Cleaned and packed with a washer and out went the light!!! Result!!!
I will just add I'm an experienced mechanic with many years in the trade but this is the first time at owning a pug, so had not come across these issues before.

Anyhow, roughly 2 weeks ago the light came on again! I had put new pads in the rear when I repaired the fault last time but I had an inkling it would be a sensor again and knew it now was close to needing new rear discs so decided to do all the work at one time. I set about it and removed everything to get at the n/s/r sensor and sure enough the sensor was being pushed away from the magnetic pick up by the rust on the hub carrier body where it mounts. Cleaned up and all put back together with a packing washer to set gap to a fag paper gap and onto the o/s/r, stripped down, sensor gap paper thin so refitted with new brakes and all done!!! Take it for a drive, 20 yards light comes on!!!! 2-3 miles light still on!!!!

So I stop and turned off the car for a few minutes and then set about taking a slightly extended roadtest, 20ish miles later no light! I'm thinking woohoo fixed it, then I had to go through a large unavoidable puddle due to oncoming traffic and beep, abs fault in display and light back on!!!

This made me wonder about the safety recall for abs faults that I have paperwork for in the history that came with the car, so i dig the letters out.
One is about an abs wiring fault in the engine bay, can cause a fire risk, dated 2006.
The other is about water ingress into abs ecu dated 2008.
Neither of these letters have validation stamps, but the previous owner(prior to in laws) had penciled in dates/times for recalls to be carried out!

I phoned local peugeot stealer yesterday and they confirmed that my vehicle has had these recalls carried out. I'll have to take their word on it, but I'am not 100% convinced.

I will be trying to get the car hooked up to a work colleagues Snap-On Solus over the next few days to check exactly what is at fault, whether it be a sensor coherency fault or sensor failure, or if it's the abs ecu that's gone down? Until then I'm left feeling frustrated with the car, and it worries me that my wife and kids have to use it as were a one car family! My wife knows to be careful and leave a bit of extra distance and that it will lock up if she hammers the brakes in an emergency, but not much else I can do for now.

What I was wondering is, what am I looking for to check if the water ingress recall has been done??? I've heard they fit a 'shower cap' type of thing to the ecu in the n/s/f wheel arch, is this true?? What else should I look for??
What are the particular symptoms of this fault occurring? I have had no banging/whirring,pumping noises from the n/s/f as in other threads on here and while the light is off, for very short periods at the start of any journeys, the abs works! It's only after maybe 20yds minimum up to half a mile that the light illuminates!

Also the wiring recall, what does that involve and what should I look for if I wish to check that has been done too??

Other than the rusted mating faces of the rear sensors are there any other mechanical issues I need to check for?? Is there any known issues with front sensors??? I don't think my vehicle has a yaw sensor as I don't think it has esp.

I see bettyswollocks seems to know their stuff as does windy1603!!
Can either of these guys shed any light on the subject for me????

Cheers guys!
307dan
have you checked the wiring to the sensors?
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-14, 12:54 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
have you checked the wiring to the sensors?
I have had a look at the wiring and it seems to be intact and still clipped up into the correct places. It is still plugged in at the multiplugs and still connected to the sensors themselves!! I have not had the wiring down and checked closely for breaks or water ingress yet though. I'm waiting to get it fault read so I can get the relevant code(s) and check what the fault exactly reads as!! I also have not looked at the fronts as I have a belief that it will be rears or worse the ecu!!

Are there common faults with sensor wiring as well then???

Until I have a fault code in front of me, I can't be sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree, I was just after some other knowledge and info from you guys on here in the hope of some other leads as to what could be possible causes if it's not sensors/rust related!

Thanks trustme for your reply!

Cheers
307dan
Old 01-01-14, 12:56 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9120 View Post
the abs pumps have some kind of bag over them. none of my 307s do though
Is the pump/ecu unit at the front or rear of n/s/f wheel arch and is it above the arch liner under the inner wing or is it near the fusebox under the bonnet??

Cheers
307dan
Old 01-01-14, 02:30 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 307dan View Post
Is the pump/ecu unit at the front or rear of n/s/f wheel arch and is it above the arch liner under the inner wing or is it near the fusebox under the bonnet??

Cheers
307dan
Its at the front, the part with all the brake pipes going into it. Should have a nice little pouch covering it. Next to the horn. Im pretty much at the same point as you, changed the sensor, set the gap, done a continuity check on the wiring, changed a blown fuse and checked the ABS ECU connection. Im waiting for a diagnostic to see If my fault codes have changed before I start messing with the ECU.
kingfoggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-14, 07:19 PM   #7
Inactive User

I'm gonna speak to my work colleague tomorrow and try and get the snap-on hooked up to the car and see what happens from there!!! I have a spare 2nd hand sensor in my shed which was the supposed faulty one from 2 years ago, which I suspect is actually fine as was rust causing the fault originally so that'll be the replacement should it be a faulty sensor!

Am I correct in saying they are NOT handed?? I didn't really look at that when it was all stripped down!!

If it's not a sensor and it's an abs ecu fault then the next option is a company 5 miles away will repair it for 's!!! Few hundred I think when I last looked, still cheaper than stealer price of 900+!

Cheers
307dan
Old 01-01-14, 09:42 PM   #8

buy a sh one on ebay. if you can bleed brakes. have someone with pp to purge the abs system and a set of crows feet you should be fine

its not in a bad place to get to. try changing one on a ka
Old 02-01-14, 07:08 PM   #9
Inactive User

I used to work at a Ford dealership, but never had the displeasure of changing one!!! Have done a Mk4 golf gt tdi one though and you need vagcom for that to energise the abs while bleeding! Does the 307 need pp to run abs for brake bleed then?? I have been meaning to get around to changing the fluid for a while but have been pondering on this very issue of energising the abs to bleed the brakes! I will be putting snap on on the car tomorrow to see if a code is logged and where the fault lies, but in true typical fashion I used the car for work today and the light never came on after it extinguished at start up!

Tomorrow will be the day though!!!
Have to wait and see!!!

I have yet to look for the pump unit to identify which one it is on eBay. Plus the possible need for pp makes it awkward as I don't really have any downtime for the car to be off the road, it's in constant use by either the wife or myself for work and school runs etc!

I think the nearest pp listed on here on the planet map is Braintree, and I get one Saturday a month when the car is not needed to enable me to do it!!
Where can I get a copy of pp and at what cost? I run windows 7 on my laptop which I understand pp won't work with and what interface unit would I need??
It won't work with an elm lead will it ??

Cheers Guys
307dan
Old 02-01-14, 07:19 PM   #10

i changed one on a ford ka a common problem with a small batch of kas

i never energised the abs pump i just used a bleeder tool with an air line
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in