307 1.6hdi Rad Fan wont work - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-16, 10:41 PM   #1

Exclamation 307 1.6hdi Rad Fan wont work

04 plate 307sw 160k on the clock. Had the water pump, thermostat, belts etc etc changed no more than 2 years ago total.

So my dads radiator fan imploded two days ago as he pulled into a parking spot.

Pulling into a space and BANG. Not sure what happened so he waited five minutes til the fan turned itself off before he could inspect (has the all too common overactive fan). Pulled the cowling back and could see theres only 2 blades left and the damage had taken out the cowling for the fan also.

He got a spare fan (came with all the radiators and fan control unit) from a breakers and we fitted the fan. Now heres where we are at:

*the old fan still spins if connected to a battery

*the replacement fan also spins when connected to a battery

*neither will come on when connected to the car (car starts to exceed temp limits to the point it warns of overheating on the dash, 90c and up)

*the plug for the fan reads as supplying 12v before and after the plugs

*this is with both the old and replacement fan control unit (relay within a resistor and coil).

We have ordered a new unit which will arrive tuesday. Even though it seems strange that maybe both dont work, as one definitely was working even after the fan imploded(fan spun for 5 or more minutes after).He is able to drive the car normally as its pretty efficient at cooling itself without the rad fan. But town style driving (of which he doesnt do much of) is what overheats as the fan wont kick in.

Any help is MASSIVELY helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by chevmat08; 12-06-16 at 10:44 PM.
chevmat08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-16, 09:51 AM   #2

Update on this issue. still had no luck, directly wired the fan to the battery but neither one of the relays will activate the fan (engine is definitely getting up to temp). im stumped on this one to be honest.

short of wiring a manual switch i cant think what else to do.
Old 10-08-16, 12:14 PM   #3

Does the car have a DPF?

Old 10-08-16, 03:47 PM   #4

I believe so. Had a problem where it was responsible for the original turbo failing and he had it to replace said turbo. That was about 4 years ago i think. I have messaged the nearest peugeotplanet user but i had no response from him. I assume inactive
Old 10-08-16, 04:01 PM   #5

Cooling fan should not really need to come on that often in normal use unless the DPF is regenerating or the A/C is on constantly.

Peugeot cooling fans are wired in a mind numbing way the relays tend to switch the negative side and are controlled by the ecu directly so its hard to test the function without planet to force fan on.
Old 10-08-16, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Cooling fan should not really need to come on that often in normal use unless the DPF is regenerating or the A/C is on constantly.

Peugeot cooling fans are wired in a mind numbing way the relays tend to switch the negative side and are controlled by the ecu directly so its hard to test the function without planet to force fan on.
It was constantly trying to regen before this happened. For quite a long time it had been doing the 5min fan after ignition off (my dad used to disconnect the fan in winter). When his fan initially shattered he had to wait for the regen thing to stop before he could inspect what happened.

I know it takes high temps to kick in and that it is on in slow mode(?) When you have AC on. The fan does nothing and when it gets high enough (i think 100) the dash lights up with warnings to shut off the engine.
Old 10-08-16, 05:17 PM   #7

Really need to look at the real problem too as if its not doing regens properly you will end up with more than just fan problems
To be honest i think you have more going on here as i have a customer with a 307 that is not regenerating looses power randomly etc but it does not overheat or have its fan on constantly something is making the fan come on too much and thats what killed it
Old 10-08-16, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Really need to look at the real problem too as if its not doing regens properly you will end up with more than just fan problems
To be honest i think you have more going on here as i have a customer with a 307 that is not regenerating looses power randomly etc but it does not overheat or have its fan on constantly something is making the fan come on too much and thats what killed it
Hed been advised the past 2 mots that its nothing to be overly concerned with and that considering its done 165k, its in good shape (well looked after mechanically). My dads positive something flipped up into his fan (driving through a car park when it happened) but i wouldnt be surprised if it was fatigued.

Still, not sure why what ever controls the fan is preventing it from spinning. Got an obd reader on the way so hopefully some codes shortly. Sadly no response fom peugeotplanet members on her
Old 10-08-16, 07:04 PM   #9

Cheap reader wont give any info on fan control system you need planet.
Old 10-08-16, 08:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Cheap reader wont give any info on fan control system you need planet.
I know im just interested to see if anything else pops up. Still trying to find someone with planet atm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in