2003 HDI 90 - fuel economy down the pan.. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-01-13, 12:36 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 2003 HDI 90 - fuel economy down the pan..

Since about Christmas, I've noticed my car's been way down on the usual mpg it achieves.

For example, back in the summer, it was returning 280-300 miles for half a tank - granted that was a good proportion of motorway driving.

At the moment, as I'm using the car to get to and from work (instead of the 330 or the motorbike!) which is 13 miles each way, bit traffic clogged, but about a 25 min trip each way. However, i've used 3/4 tank and it's only managed 330 miles, and there's no way I'tll be getting the usual 450 or more out of a full tank.

I've had it on planet and there's no faults showing.

The temperature guage has always seemed quite low to me, it sits at about between 75 and 80. It never gets to the halfway 90 mark - even in the summer and sat it traffic it would very rarely close to 90 - only once when i deliberately left it idling for about an hour in blazing sunshine and it only just got to 90, and has never gone above this or overheated.

That said, the engine msut be warming up fine, as heat comes out of the heaters within a few minutes of driving, even this morning when it was -5 degrees outside.

The car was serviced (by me) in Autumn this year, so has nice fresh oil in it. It hardly uses any oil, teh coolant level is fine, and the car feels like it's driving fine.

I don't believe my car has a DPF (from what I've read, that's a "luxury" afforded to the110 bhp models....along with a clattering DMF), and I haven't checked - nor would I know to - the EGR valve, but I was under the impression if this was goosed it'd flag on planet?

Is the drop in economy just a combination of the damn cold weather and me not doing as many motorway trips?

Any other suggestions I can look at please?

Last edited by RussHDI; 22-01-13 at 04:03 PM.
RussHDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-01-13, 04:28 PM   #2
Inactive User

I have the 110bhp 1.6 hdi and it is the same, temp gauge always sit between 75 and 80. it has never got more than 450 on a tank (38mpg) on the motorway and as low as 33mpg about town.
I had the DPF removed after problems with it but made no difference to the mpg.
bongosworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-13, 04:30 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussHDI View Post
Since about Christmas, I've noticed my car's been way down on the usual mpg it achieves.

For example, back in the summer, it was returning 280-300 miles for half a tank - granted that was a good proportion of motorway driving.

At the moment, as I'm using the car to get to and from work (instead of the 330 or the motorbike!) which is 13 miles each way, bit traffic clogged, but about a 25 min trip each way. However, i've used 3/4 tank and it's only managed 330 miles, and there's no way I'tll be getting the usual 450 or more out of a full tank.

I've had it on planet and there's no faults showing.

The temperature guage has always seemed quite low to me, it sits at about between 75 and 80. It never gets to the halfway 90 mark - even in the summer and sat it traffic it would very rarely close to 90 - only once when i deliberately left it idling for about an hour in blazing sunshine and it only just got to 90, and has never gone above this or overheated.

That said, the engine msut be warming up fine, as heat comes out of the heaters within a few minutes of driving, even this morning when it was -5 degrees outside.

The car was serviced (by me) in Autumn this year, so has nice fresh oil in it. It hardly uses any oil, teh coolant level is fine, and the car feels like it's driving fine.

I don't believe my car has a DPF (from what I've read, that's a "luxury" afforded to the110 bhp models....along with a clattering DMF), and I haven't checked - nor would I know to - the EGR valve, but I was under the impression if this was goosed it'd flag on planet?

Is the drop in economy just a combination of the damn cold weather and me not doing as many motorway trips?

Any other suggestions I can look at please?
Did you change the fuel filter with the service? can you try and put a fuel additive< is the MAF ok? this could be bringing in to much mixture or what ever! - Try talking to bennyball he knows these cars well, Im not saying def these are the things that are wrong but you have probaly checked all this already, good luck mate keep us updated
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-01-13, 05:46 PM   #4
Inactive User

Hi all I've got the 90bhp but I've not had this long but I think it's crap on fuel too but I just put it down to the cold.
Don't do anything just wait for the whether to warm up a bit.
I used to have a smart car and the cold whether used to drop the mpg on that too, think its just a turbo thing.
willhenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-13, 05:50 PM   #5
Inactive User

mines been crap for 2 years, the cold weather never affected my golf tdi or bmw diesel I had before. Do think it is a problem with them its just trying to find out what!
bongosworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-13, 06:15 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongosworld View Post
mines been crap for 2 years, the cold weather never affected my golf tdi or bmw diesel I had before. Do think it is a problem with them its just trying to find out what!
Or just that the VW and BMW are better build quality
Old 22-01-13, 07:24 PM   #7
Inactive User

The 90Bhp does not have particulate filter

i have the same as you, 90bhp, and my economy has gone haywire, its not the weather that's causing it i have lost nearly 20mpg in a few weeks!

So if anyone knows which specific faults can cause economy to fail please list them and i will drill through them one by one on my car and test to see if any results as i go - then i will post them back here

Thanks
Ade.
Old 22-01-13, 08:15 PM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1976 View Post
The 90Bhp does not have particulate filter

i have the same as you, 90bhp, and my economy has gone haywire, its not the weather that's causing it i have lost nearly 20mpg in a few weeks!

So if anyone knows which specific faults can cause economy to fail please list them and i will drill through them one by one on my car and test to see if any results as i go - then i will post them back here

Thanks
Ade.
Have you had any fault codes come up on your p-planet? I had a low pressure on my fuel rail! Would this lower the mpg?
But saying that the code was reset and its not come back so it could of been a old code that wasn't reset..
Old 22-01-13, 08:24 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhenshaw View Post
Have you had any fault codes come up on your p-planet? I had a low pressure on my fuel rail! Would this lower the mpg?
But saying that the code was reset and its not come back so it could of been a old code that wasn't reset..
I had one, air flow meter open circuit, but i cleared it and it didn't come back so i presumed that was an old fault?
Not sure that low fuel rail pressure would mess with your mpg to be honest.
Old 22-01-13, 08:38 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1976 View Post
I had one, air flow meter open circuit, but i cleared it and it didn't come back so i presumed that was an old fault?
Not sure that low fuel rail pressure would mess with your mpg to be honest.
Well if you don't have any faults come up then I would say its the weather.
It may be just one of them things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in