2002 307 2.0 90bhp - fit fuel filter...now cant start it! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-06-17, 11:04 PM   #1

Default 2002 307 2.0 90bhp - fit fuel filter...now cant start it!

Sorry be be a thicko...but I have a 2002 307 2.0Hdi 90bhp, literally just changed the fuel filter. I am pretty sure I have primed by pumping the hand bulb? Fuel goes into the filter its filled now. Cant be sure its going anywhere else though.
Cranking so long I had to connect another car (running) to allow me to turn mine over...due to the faffing way the car is arranged I did remove one battery terminal to get it connected in series with running car battery.
Could this make a difference possibly?

Have removed and refitted fuel filter, canister, pipes and electrical plug so many times now. At one point it did actually start briefly then stopped - I guess perhaps due to lack of fuel?

Anything.. literally anything.. would be appreciated.
I am seriously fubar'd. Proper stuck living in a rubbish location for transport without a car is like being up the creek flowing into in rapids then into Niagra Falls... Oh and both paddles are snapped too...

Thank you in anticipation

Last edited by tmcd; 15-06-17 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo
tmcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-06-17, 11:37 PM   #2

Default additional...

What I didn't say was the car has been running fine earlier that same day and going pretty good. I was trying to sort out a developing problem by process of elimination. The problem - it became gutless at low revs, spoke to a mechanic friend who suggested to start with most likely suspects first...

It was only 'gutless' when in the rev range of tickover to 2000rpm-ish, then appeared to get along noticably better. Its been regularly commuting around 15-20 miles twice a day on slow and fast A roads. Interspersed with shorter and more substantial journeys (100 miles each way). So gets regularly used over varying roads/speeds & conditions. For a 2002 car its led a cherished life with only a bit over 110k on the clock. I know 2 previous owners who did look after it. But I guess I have probably clocked around 30K in 2-3 years so not massively excessive.
It has AC (blowing nice and chilly thankfully!) but no other apparent issues I'm aware of. Other than being well overdue a service, for which I have an element of guilt.. pretty much kicking myself in the shins for creating what appears to be a bigger problem D'oh!
But I guess you guys will say '...twas a sleeping giant waiting to rear its ugly head...' or something like that. Or just tell me I am a useless twonk?

Thx again in anticipation...stranded without my wheels.
Cheers
Old 16-06-17, 01:29 AM   #3

Did you disconnect the battery terminal to jump start it after making sure the BSI was asleep? Also you say you connected the other battery in series???? Hopefully not as then you would have put 24v through the system....

If you try to start it, then switch off, leave key in ignition and open the driver's door, do you get beeping?
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 16-06-17, 09:12 AM   #4

Sorry I dont know what BSI is? I needed to remove a terminal to get clamps around it. Didnt follow any procedure - oops, is there one before removing battery or battery terminal?

The car battery was struggling (after extended attempts to start) massive current draw by starter motor. I connected batteries (in parallel..sorry it was late when I typed original posts)...the proceeded the various attempts in vain.

The key appears to beep when I leave in ignition position 1 and open the door (10 times). I have 2 keys same for both, is that what you mean?
Old 16-06-17, 09:16 AM   #5

Battery is 'as a dodo' now....so will need donor vehicle to get battery back in shape to start up. anything I can check i the meantime?
Old 16-06-17, 01:44 PM   #6

Wink Fixed!!!

Yes FIXED by me....woo hoo. If that's allowed on here?

In short ladies and gentlefolks it appears the overriding consensus of opinion was pointing in this area PRIME it or make sure it is primed appropriated! PLUS the fact (as mentioned) I had a brief whiff of victory whipped away form under my nose earlier when it started... but died again

Thanks for all your comments and assistance....my final words for all would be make sure your primed before you go into battle. Pump the rubber bulb thingumy - it will get firm but not rock hard (as was implied on some descriptions).... then give her a whirl if asll prevailing conditions suggest it was a going concern before this seems reasonable info to pass on. There that's my two penneth worth...good luck!

That said I do not claim to be an expert, there are many on here who can direct you much more appropriately in right ball park if in trouble.

All the best

Last edited by tmcd; 16-06-17 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16-06-17, 07:31 PM   #7

Only just noticed this thread but considering you mentioned you replaced the fuel filter mu first suggestion would have been air in the system and to prime the filter cannister using the priming bulb. Glad you got it sorted eventually though. I've had the same model and had to sevrvice it every 10 weeks due to the mileage I was doing at the time and voluntary 6000 mile service intervals with all filters (except pollen) with each service it became second nature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-06-17, 07:49 PM   #8

You are fortunate you did not cause any issues when you disconnected the battery without first putting the BSI unit to sleep. You MUST ALWAYS put the BSI to sleep before disconnecting the battery. You should also disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work on the car like disconnecting sensors etc to prevent throwing errors or corrupting the BSI.

One of the issues it can cause is losing the key coding, hence my question to see if the key still had it's code. The beep-beep you hear when opening the door with the key in ignition shows the key has not lost the coding.

Good you fixed your issue though
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in