2.0 hdi injector leak off test, what should it be - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-19, 05:38 PM   #1

Default 2.0 hdi injector leak off test, what should it be

hi all,

I have a 2003 307 estate 2.0 hdi 110, and its being a pig to start, winds over for ages, glow plugs and realy are all ok, so im now wondering and ive looked everywhere, what should the results be when doing a leak off test. just cant find any info on this.
chris# is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-19, 07:02 PM   #2

A little info here maybe
https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums...esults-140394/

Common rail leak off, acceptable ammounts..
noddy-hol and chris# like this.
Old 20-01-19, 07:36 PM   #3

that's great thank you very much.
terry57 likes this.

Old 20-01-19, 07:48 PM   #4

I use the following sequence to test 2.0/2.2 hdi injectors. I have not been able to get any 'official' bosch data/method despite extensive searching, got this from a company that does bosch refurbishment here.

2 mins idle
30 secs @3k rpm
30 secs @idle
30 secs @3k rpm
30 secs @idle
30 secs @3k rpm
30 secs @idle

Ideally volumes after this should be no more than 30ml.

Also found that you need to check that your injectors are correctly coded into the ecu. Had an issue with my one 406HDi recently and corrected it when I discovered the injectors were not coded in at all. Injectors have coding details on the cap. See post.. https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums...issues-332456/
chris# likes this.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-01-19, 07:51 PM   #5

I had this result after 5 mins at idle with warm engine, I will do another test tomorrow over 3 mins,
Attached Thumbnails
814ae70a-d93c-447e-b4ec-96c0039ed669_1548017432229.jpg  
Old 20-01-19, 07:59 PM   #6

ok thanks, i'll try this tomorrow
Old 20-01-19, 08:42 PM   #7

Thought I would add to all the above just to clarify whats happening(my personal experience is with Delphi injectors but the principles are the same)
Firstly a good/new injector over 2 minutes idling(you can blip the throttle every thirty seconds but I found this made very little difference to end results)will give only a few mm of leakoff and no air bubbles in the leakoff pipes, what you tend to see with a larger leakoff is air bubbles travelling up leak off pipes, this is combustion gasses blowing back past worn needles in the nozzle. over 2 minutes you don't want to see more than about 30 ml's in any bottle, the reason for this is that when you get 4 x30ml =120ml this backleak reduces the pressure in the common rail and the ecu 'sees this 'via the fuel pressure sensor and will not allow the engine to start, you tend to first get starting problems when the cold weather comes and you have worn injectors as the cold weather reduces the common rail pressure even further triggering the non start, the opposite happens when the engine is hot ,it miraculously restarts ok, because the heat increases the pressure in the common rail . when it doesn't start and you use easy start this spins up the engine quickly allowing the ecu/ pressure sensor to let the engine start,.If we go back to the max of 120ml leakoff stopping pressure sensor starting car this can be a combination of good and bad injectors ,so you may have 3x28(still in tolerance) say and one of say 45ml, this one is the one that if you change it will get the car starting again, the worse the leakoff the quicker they deteriorate I have found.
oh ,one last thing when you finish your 2mins idling you should lift up your leakoff pipes and drain them into your bottles to get more accurate reading

hope this may be of a little help,
chris# likes this.
vincentfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-01-19, 08:46 PM   #8

Hi...have we checked the cranking speed is as it should be and the battery is in great condition before jumping on injectors...
chris# likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-01-19, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfish View Post
Thought I would add to all the above just to clarify whats happening(my personal experience is with Delphi injectors but the principles are the same)
Firstly a good/new injector over 2 minutes idling(you can blip the throttle every thirty seconds but I found this made very little difference to end results)will give only a few mm of leakoff and no air bubbles in the leakoff pipes, what you tend to see with a larger leakoff is air bubbles travelling up leak off pipes, this is combustion gasses blowing back past worn needles in the nozzle. over 2 minutes you don't want to see more than about 30 ml's in any bottle, the reason for this is that when you get 4 x30ml =120ml this backleak reduces the pressure in the common rail and the ecu 'sees this 'via the fuel pressure sensor and will not allow the engine to start, you tend to first get starting problems when the cold weather comes and you have worn injectors as the cold weather reduces the common rail pressure even further triggering the non start, the opposite happens when the engine is hot ,it miraculously restarts ok, because the heat increases the pressure in the common rail . when it doesn't start and you use easy start this spins up the engine quickly allowing the ecu/ pressure sensor to let the engine start,.If we go back to the max of 120ml leakoff stopping pressure sensor starting car this can be a combination of good and bad injectors ,so you may have 3x28(still in tolerance) say and one of say 45ml, this one is the one that if you change it will get the car starting again, the worse the leakoff the quicker they deteriorate I have found.
oh ,one last thing when you finish your 2mins idling you should lift up your leakoff pipes and drain them into your bottles to get more accurate reading

hope this may be of a little help,

this is a massive help, thank you
Old 20-01-19, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
Hi...have we checked the cranking speed is as it should be and the battery is in great condition before jumping on injectors...

battery is quite new, so hopefully that's ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in