Sunroof leaks? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-18, 12:55 AM   #1

Default Sunroof leaks?

Hello folks,

It has been raining for days and today when I got into my car (1996 1.4 5-Door), I saw this:

Immediately I thought the sunroof has leaked but there is no water anywhere around the sunroof itself. I removed the water and drove around and it drips from the central console in front of the sunroof occasionally. The water seems to go on the left side only but all the way to the back seats. The right side is completely dry. When I initially drove off I could hear the water moving around the frame. It doesn't look good and I'm worried it's much worse than it looks.

I'm completely fine in sealing the sunroof completely if it's going to solve the issue but I feel like its something else.

I just got it from the shop about two weeks ago... Two weeks of peaceful driving and now again with the issues. Any ideas?

Last edited by Xzahn; 29-06-18 at 12:58 AM.
Xzahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-18, 07:27 AM   #2

If you are in the UK, take it back to the seller. Not fit for purpose.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-06-18, 03:05 PM   #3

There are a number of items that can cause water entry on those old 306`s.

( 1 ) Open the sunroof and in each front corner you will find the drain holes. A rubber tube runs down each screen pillar and exits in the front wheel arches,it may get blocked?.Give the tubes a good blow with compressed air. Then carefully pour some water down the drain holes and watch for it dripping in the wheel arch.
( 2 ) The roof aerial can leak. Remove it and refit it with a dollop of silicon sealer.
( 3 )Remove the plastic grill surrounding the wiper arms and make sure the drain holes in each corner are clear of leaves and stuff.

I suppose you have checked that both front door seals are in good condition and the doors shut firm.

Last edited by Old Pug; 30-06-18 at 03:08 PM.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-18, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanML View Post
If you are in the UK, take it back to the seller. Not fit for purpose.
Well, I had that car for 2 years now and I bought it from Germany, so that's impossible. And now it's certainly not practical considering the amount of money I've put into it since then. It's a 'drive it until it dies' type of situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pug View Post
There are a number of items that can cause water entry on those old 306`s.

( 1 ) Open the sunroof and in each front corner you will find the drain holes. A rubber tube runs down each screen pillar and exits in the front wheel arches,it may get blocked?.Give the tubes a good blow with compressed air. Then carefully pour some water down the drain holes and watch for it dripping in the wheel arch.
( 2 ) The roof aerial can leak. Remove it and refit it with a dollop of silicon sealer.
( 3 )Remove the plastic grill surrounding the wiper arms and make sure the drain holes in each corner are clear of leaves and stuff.

I suppose you have checked that both front door seals are in good condition and the doors shut firm.
I was worried it might be the first one but now that you've mentioned, option 2 looks really really likely. The water seems to be coming from the sunroof controls console which is right under the aerial. Never had leaks before and last winter during a snow storm a tree branch fell on top of the car and broke the antenna. This might have caused damage to the aerial.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'd probably never have thought about that. I never saw any more leaks other than the one on the image even though it rained for 2-3 days more after that. Now it's all dry, but I'll definitely check that aerial out.
Old 01-07-18, 07:59 PM   #5

Judging by the sheer volume of water in the footwell and the soaking of the roof lining, I would put money on the drainage channels being blocked rather than the aerial leaking.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-18, 12:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
Judging by the sheer volume of water in the footwell and the soaking of the roof lining, I would put money on the drainage channels being blocked rather than the aerial leaking.
I'll check them out as well. I just don't understand how the drainage channels being blocked will lead to such leak. I checked the sunroof sealing and it wasn't even wet. Actually, it was dusty.
Old 03-07-18, 07:56 AM   #7

As you have lots of water in the car you may have more than one entry.So why not do all the three jobs I have suggested.They all are simple tasks.

Don't forget to check the drain holes inside the wiper motor gallery.Over the years lots of leaves and rubbish gets into there. When it rains hard the gulley fills up and rain water will enter the car via the blower motor intake which is just above your image of a pool of water.
You will have to remove the wiper arms and the black plastic grill.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in