steady current drain flattens battery - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-01-16, 02:20 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default steady current drain flattens battery

There is a steady current drain when the ignition is turned off. it. I measured the current between the battery and the two red leads that join the positive terminal. There is a steady drain of about 60ma, but there are not lights showing. Every 15 hours nearly 1AH is consumed, with 750 hours leading to a flat bettery (50AH).

Pulling out all the fuses 1 - 16 and the shunt removed the drain, with about 35 ma with the shunt in place.

What can I disconnect to eliminate the drain, and what would be causing it. It is definitely some equipment and not "leakage".

I would like to turn off the alarm (already off with the special key under the bonnet) and we couild forgo the key pad and the central loking.

My wife only does 10 miles a week of which 5 is at night.

Thanks

Lawrence
lawrencek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-16, 02:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencek View Post
There is a steady current drain when the ignition is turned off. it. I measured the current between the battery and the two red leads that join the positive terminal. There is a steady drain of about 60ma, but there are not lights showing. Every 15 hours nearly 1AH is consumed, with 750 hours leading to a flat bettery (50AH).

Pulling out all the fuses 1 - 16 and the shunt removed the drain, with about 35 ma with the shunt in place.

What can I disconnect to eliminate the drain, and what would be causing it. It is definitely some equipment and not "leakage".

I would like to turn off the alarm (already off with the special key under the bonnet) and we couild forgo the key pad and the central loking.

My wife only does 10 miles a week of which 5 is at night.

Thanks

Lawrence
i would say that sounds normal to me
if only driving 10 miles a week then when you add up all the expenses (fuel, tax, mot, servicing, repairs, insurance) would it not be cheaper to get a taxi
Old 13-01-16, 03:22 PM   #3
Inactive User

I agree, but she needs it for holidays etc.

If that drain is usual how do cars fare on forecourts, garages , airports etc.

Any ideas what I could do?

Thanks

Lawrence

Old 13-01-16, 03:27 PM   #4

most car sales places either have a battery charger or let cars idle for a bit every so often, airports cars are there for a week or 2 normally
Old 13-01-16, 03:29 PM   #5

i take it from what you have posted that your battery is going flat if so then have it tested and also the alternator, cold weather kills batteries and also batteries dont live forever
Old 13-01-16, 05:06 PM   #6

-The car needs to supply some current to the electronicswhen turned off, If nothing but the remote locking receiver is powered up then 60ma is still not a huge consumption. Today's cars are no different to most modern entertainment electronics in that they don't get 'switched off', merely go into standby modeso they can accept and recognise incomming signals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-01-16, 09:33 PM   #7
Inactive User

I realise that the electronics systems have to be supplied, but how can I turn them off?

I've pulled the radio fuse, she does not have a key fob and we don't want the alarm. How can I turn them off and still start the car when we need to?

Can I pull a connector or something?
Old 15-01-16, 11:42 PM   #8

Simple answer is no, what is the reason for this, does your battery go flat
Old 18-01-16, 12:50 PM   #9
Inactive User

Angry steady current drain flattens battery

Yes, a steady drain of 60 Ma will flatten the battery:

50 / (60 / 1000) = 833 hours for a 50AH battery

833 hours is 5 weeks - rubbish!

And of course if it is cold weather, this will be less - and that is totally flat.

Surely this is a design flaw?

Lawrence
Old 18-01-16, 03:10 PM   #10

You have a choice of three measures:

Disconnect the battery when not in use. This is a bit of a pain, because of the precautions needed with Peugeots. Doors closed, bonnet open, switch off through driver's window, so is only practical if the car is garaged.

Put the battery on a trickle charger say once a week. Needs to be near to a power point. If you use a good quality charger, there is no need to disconnect the battery, and you can leave it on overnight.

Give the car a good drive once a week, to let the alternator put back what has been taken out.

If you want to know what is drawing the current, replace the fuses one-by-one, measuring each time. If you find the bulk is taken by circuit(s) you can entirely do without (refer to the handbook for fuse function), you could leave the relevant fuse(s) out, but it is unlikely to be that simple.
IanML is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in