Replacing the stock incandescent bulbs with something stronger? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-18, 01:24 AM   #1

Default Replacing the stock incandescent bulbs with something stronger?

Hi folks,

The right H7 bulb on my 1996 306XR died a few months ago and I've been reluctant to change it. I was wondering If I can put something stronger in there.

I was thinking of Xenons but it seems it would require retrofitting a power supply and cables. Then I thought Halogen might just do the job but I can't find any specific information for how should I approach it.

Do I need any retrofitting for halogen or I can just replace the bulbs? If so, what kind of bulbs I should look for? I'm pretty sure the current ones are H7 but I can't confirm right now. What about LEDs?

Any suggestions?
Xzahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-18, 03:22 PM   #2

Take your old bulb to your local motor factor and ask for a replacement, it's probably a halogen anyway, but it won't hurt to tell them you want a halogen. They are direct replacements for tungsten bulbs, no special fitting required.
If you lights are properly adjusted they will be all you need. No need to enter the brightest lights arms race.

Roger.
Old 12-06-18, 05:38 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Note, 99% sure it'll be h4 bulbs for a 96 306. Osram Nightbreakers are my current favourite. Straight swop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-18, 06:01 PM   #4

Yep as above...and they give a nice white light.....and if adjusted correctly they dont blind other road users
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-06-18, 02:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
Take your old bulb to your local motor factor and ask for a replacement, it's probably a halogen anyway, but it won't hurt to tell them you want a halogen. They are direct replacements for tungsten bulbs, no special fitting required.
If your lights are properly adjusted they will be all you need. No need to enter the brightest lights arms race.

Roger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoxsi View Post
Note, 99% sure it'll be h4 bulbs for a 96 306. Osram Nightbreakers are my current favorite. Straight swap.

These are the bulbs in the right headlight. The right one is H7 (the dead one) for the low beams. Not sure what the left one is but it's for the high beams. I have one more bulb in the left headlight but it's tiny.

The strange thing is that I think I have only one bulb in the right headlight. Probably an H4 acting as both high and low beams. And it's much more complicated to reach so I haven't checked.

How can I put halogens in that case? Buy one H4 and one H7 halogen and figure out how to get to the right headlight.

Or just buy one H7 just like the dead one and drive like that?

Edit: I took a few more shots...

You can see how close that thing is to the headlight so I'm not sure If I can pull the bulb out or whether I'll add the new one in.

These are how the low beams look and you can see the second section of the right headlight, for the high beams. There is no such section in the left headlight.

And these are the high beams.

Last edited by Xzahn; 14-06-18 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Adding more photos
Old 14-06-18, 04:41 AM   #6

The left bulb in the picture is an H1

The tiny bulb you mention is likely for parking light/sidelight, most likely a T10/W5W (glass socket) or a Ba9S (metal socket)

Looks like your car has had one of the light assemblies replaced by one from a later year model. Not all that familiar with the 306, but the 206 started out with H4 lights and a few years in changed to clear optics with 2x H7 bulbs. H1+H7 is the same combo my moms Polo from 2001 had.

Last edited by mtempsch; 14-06-18 at 05:09 AM.
mtempsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-06-18, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtempsch View Post
The left bulb in the picture is an H1

The tiny bulb you mention is likely for parking light/sidelight, most likely a T10/W5W (glass socket) or a Ba9S (metal socket)

Looks like your car has had one of the light assemblies replaced by one from a later year model. Not all that familiar with the 306, but the 206 started out with H4 lights and a few years in changed to clear optics with 2x H7 bulbs. H1+H7 is the same combo my moms Polo from 2001 had.
Oh, I see... That could be useful!

What about the left headlight. Do you think that's stock as well? I have another a bit zoomed out photo If it would help.

It doesn't look like I'll be able to replace the bulb without disassembling stuff. I'm going to try sometime this weekend but If that's the case I won't bother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in