Recommendations needed for Ignition Coil Pack for XU10J4R engine - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-16, 04:13 PM   #1

Default Recommendations needed for Ignition Coil Pack for XU10J4R engine

The ignition coil pack in my 306 2.0 XSi 16v Phase 3 with XU10J4R engine, slowly went bad throughout last year and I replaced it with a cheap HAAS part in November 2015. This lasted nearly two weeks and went bad so I have returned it for a refund at eurocarparts.co.uk . I told the young kid on the counter I do not want another HAAS part, so he decided I needed the Intermotor / BRMI Product Code: 413735070 for slightly more money. However I expect this will also be a piece of crap, so I will either not bother paying for and collecting it, or I will and then take it back once I have something better elsewhere. I have my car booked in at a garage on Friday, so I need to get this sorted first.

After a bit of looking through older posts on various forums etc, some mentioned OEM makes like BERU / ECP, Bosch, Bougicord-Electrofil as ones to go for. Some said avoid stuff like Valeo, Marelli and of course Sagem.

So what are the current recommendations for 2016 and where can I buy them from in the UK?
Ego Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-02-16, 06:20 PM   #2

In the end I bought a BERU from the link below for 102 and hopefully it will arrive this week, and not go faulty like the other cheap HAAS part did. I took my car in to the garage last Friday, and it needs a few things doing like new rear bushes and something to do with the ABS on one wheel, where some teeth / spindles have been worn away causing the dash warning light to come on. So I will take it again to the garage on Thursday morning, and hopefully get it through the MOT. It passed the first four of five MOTs since I bought the car in 2011, mainly as unlike previous owners I was pro-active rather than re-active with my maintenance.

Coil, ignition BERU 0040100349 - Ignition/Preheating
Old 19-02-16, 03:25 PM   #3

Back in the days when 306`s were still being made Peugeot had a big problem with ECU`s being spiked due to faulty Sagem coil packs.
Beru is a good name,I'm sure you won't have a problem.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 19-02-16, 05:28 PM   #4

The BERU coil pack arrived on the 17th February and was fitted yesterday. I was a little worried upon inspection prior to fitting, because it looked used with light dirt, and slightly tarnished / discoloured metal bits or maybe it had aged a little in long term storage? Also the BERU brand was only on a black sticker and not etched into the plastic etc. My local mechanic said this was fine, so I hope he is right. I bought the part from the link below if anyone is interested and needs one; it only took two days to arrive although I paid for the delivery, rather than use the free option.

Old 19-02-16, 11:33 PM   #5

My car made it through the MOT today, so that was a relief. The mechanic said that despite all the work I had done as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it would have passed anyway. Pre-MOT it needed: Wheel Bearing Front O/S; Front & Rear Rear Subframe Bushes; Front Drop Link; Outer CV Joint O/S. I did have an advisory due to part of the exhaust system blowing near the manifold, which upon closer inspection appears to be needing a gasket replacing, so I will take the car in again on Monday morning and have that done. Total cost of work done for 2015 to 2016 is 500 approx.
Old 20-02-16, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Shredder View Post
The BERU coil pack arrived on the 17th February and was fitted yesterday. I was a little worried upon inspection prior to fitting, because it looked used with light dirt, and slightly tarnished / discoloured metal bits or maybe it had aged a little in long term storage? Also the BERU brand was only on a black sticker and not etched into the plastic etc. My local mechanic said this was fine, so I hope he is right. I bought the part from the link below if anyone is interested and needs one; it only took two days to arrive although I paid for the delivery, rather than use the free option.

I`ve been buying car parts professionally for over 25 years and never heard of mister auto.I`ve searched through their site looking for a distribution address/wearhouse etc without success.They obviously are one of the new breed of online only outfits.Only time will tell if you have got a genuine part? I would surgest in future you try GSF car parts who can supply top quality Peugeot O/E parts over the counter.You never know there may be a depot near you.I always prefer face to face contact particularly with critical electronic items.Yes I`m old school,in my day it was a quick phone call to an expert and the correct part was delivered to my workshop in hours. I used to deal with Euro car parts but they have not been the same since the Sukhpal Singh family sold it.
Old 20-02-16, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pug View Post
Only time will tell if you have got a genuine part? I would surgest in future you try GSF car parts who can supply top quality Peugeot O/E parts over the counter.You never know there may be a depot near you.I always prefer face to face contact particularly with critical electronic items.Yes I`m old school,in my day it was a quick phone call to an expert and the correct part was delivered to my workshop in hours. I used to deal with Euro car parts but they have not been the same since the Sukhpal Singh family sold it.
I bought a coil pack from Euro Car Parts last November, but it broke within two weeks and I had to return it for a full refund. I told them I did not want another cheap HAAS part, and I asked for the most expensive one they had which is a Valeo according to their website info. They would not sell me this, so I left and looked at what GSF had on their website and it was also a Valeo. After reading various online opinions, a few advised to stay clear of Italian stuff and Valeo is one. So in the end I decided to get one of the recommended brands like BERU, but I could only find the one I got from Mister Auto in Lyon, France. They also have a UK address but I suspect that is just an admin HQ type address.
Old 20-02-16, 03:46 PM   #8

Nothing wrong with Valeo,they supply the Peugeot factory.
Buy something from a Peugeot Dealer and chances are there will be a Valeo unit in the box.(At twice the price of the same Valio part you can get from GSF.)
Old 20-02-16, 09:49 PM   #9

That's the problem with the internet.....so many opinions and personal experiences it is impossible to know whose advice to take. The only brands that people seemed to really like and not criticise were BERU and Bougicord-Electricfil.
Old 19-10-16, 05:53 PM   #10

Well since having the car seen to prior to the March 2016 MOT and having the new BERU coil pack fitted, I am afraid it did not last very long again....this time around 500 miles. It was not quite 100% right even after being fitted, but in the last few days it let go big style, and it is only sheer luck that nobody has smashed into the back of me, because the power just disappears to 1 or 2mph in an instant to the point I could not even pull over if I needed to. It stalls very badly and multiple times, even within a small portion of a car park. The rev counter is bouncing around between 0 and 1200 like a mad thing at times, and idling is choppy as hell. It's far worse than before the BERU was fitted in February.

So I need to buy yet another coil pack and then try and return the BERU back to France for a refund or replacement. Shame really because the power and performance it provided when new, was almost 100% back to how the car was in 2013. I'm starting to be a bit wary now because I hope something in my car is not destroying any good coil pack I put in, e.g. bad worn out HT wire connections within the engine block, or possibly bad spark plugs although they have only done around 10,000 miles or less. The car normally starts fine so I doubt they are the problem, but you never know I guess. Not sure what else to check for or mention to the garage mechanic, which can be awkward when they have their own ideas about things as most people do.

So after trying a cheap HAAS coil and then a decent BERU, my choices are limited unless I spend a fortune which I do not have for the time being (no job and no benefits either). So the choices I have for brands are Vtec (94), Inter / BRMI (67) or Valeo (130). I'll be ordering one of these very soon, as I need my car while looking for work and also visiting my elderly mum in her care home (in there against the family's wishes). I'll have to get the damn bus to the dentist tomorrow, which is about seven miles and about 40 minutes each way; it's about 15 in the car.

Last edited by Ego Shredder; 19-10-16 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in