Rear Windows stopped working 306cc & Front windows never worked - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-15, 03:57 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Rear Windows stopped working 306cc & Front windows never worked

Hi there,

This is the first time i've used this forum so please forgive me if this has already been posted but I have searched and not so far found anything similar. Sorry also if it is a long post. My partner has a 1998 306 Convertible. It was bought extremely cheaply because there were quite a few things wrong with it. We have tried to find solutions to these problems via Google and his father is good with car mechanics but it has stumped us all.

The main problems at the moment are:

1) The cars 2 rear windows. When he got the car he doesn't think they worked at all and then one day I tried them and they both worked, albeit very very slowly and quite laboured and squeeky when going down. The more they were used the better they got until one day both just completely stopped working. The switches for these are between the driver and passenger seats. The convertible hood switch is in the middle of the rear window switches and works absolutely fine. In the dark, all of the other window switches in the car illuminate red....except for the 2 rear window switches. We've checked the fuses with a mulitmeter and they are fine. I also replaced a few with brand new ones to see if that affected things but still nothing. The convertible hood was accidentally left down and it rained recently but if water had gotten into the switches, I wouldn't expect any of them to work. It seems odd that it is specifically the two rear windows whilst the hood switch remains perfectly fine (for now :/).

By process of elimination I think the next place to check is the relays. I've searched high & low for information about where the rear window relays are and what they look like but can't find a single thing. It has a 30 fuse box but the manual is rubbish. I bought the Hayes manual but it is too advanced for me and my partner, even his dad who is great with cars, doesn't want to get into the electrics of it.

Is there a generic layout for this particular model for relays? There are quite a few green boxes for a start. When I look at replacements on Halfords or second hand car parts they all look different. I understand how they work physically but don't want to do anything or remove anything that will make the car worse!

2) The front 2 windows are also dead & have never worked. At the weekend we stripped the driver's door & found instantly that the window regulator is completely rusted through and the motor was tested - dead also...so that solved the question as to why the driver's side window didn't work. However...

The drivers side has 2 window switches, one for their window and one with an "A" on it. This "A" switch buzzes when pressed. The multimeter shows it to be working fine though. On the passenger side, the switch glows at night and we have yet to test it but there is no noise at all from this. It is possible the motor on this is screwed again, but if the driver's "A" control is buzzing, that means something is happening somewhere electrically.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! The car only cost 250 so we are trying to save spending enormous money on it
PerilsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-15, 09:11 PM   #2

Think that I'd be looking at checking if any power was getting to all of the electric motors after checking fuses. 306cc's are quite twmpremental with regards to roofs and from experience 50% of the time they don't work and the mechanism in the boot will more than likely be broken, I know this as I've owned one and I had some new parts fabricated for the mechanism for the 306cc club, I actually got to the stage with the roof not working of buying a gallon of petrol and a box of ...you know the rest
Oh yeah the "A" button I think is for the door mirrors

Last edited by johnbrander; 03-09-15 at 09:17 PM.
johnbrander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-15, 09:26 PM   #3
Inactive User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrander View Post
Think that I'd be looking at checking if any power was getting to all of the electric motors after checking fuses. 306cc's are quite twmpremental with regards to roofs and from experience 50% of the time they don't work and the mechanism in the boot will more than likely be broken, I know this as I've owned one and I had some new parts fabricated for the mechanism for the 306cc club, I actually got to the stage with the roof not working of buying a gallon of petrol and a box of ...you know the rest
Haha temperamental is an understatement. I sometimes think the car has a mind of its own because as soon as you solve one problem, another one just develops seemingly randomly. Thank you for the reply, I think I may have to crack out the old Haynes out again and look at the wiring diagrams again *groan*. We actually had a problem with the roof recently which stopped collapsing properly and groaning on the way down. I scaled the internet and it turned out to be a lack of Hydraulic oil. A trip to Halfords and 8.99 later we had a fully working convertible again!
PerilsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-15, 11:26 PM   #4

Got to admit though, with the roof down they really do look very sexy
Rest of car was perfect with no probs at all
johnbrander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in