Really loau knocking noise from engine, she don't sound too clever!! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-10, 01:57 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Really loud knocking noise from engine, she don't sound too clever!!

Started it up yesterday and there is a horendous knocking coming from what sounds like the top of the engine and lots of black smoke out the back. Doesn't sound too bad at all when it idling but as soon as you give it some revs there's a god awful noise!! It's like metal tapping metal and it gets faster as the revs get higher, snapped cam shaft maybe?? Any ideas would be appreciated as to what it might be.

How difficult is it to get a look at the to of the engine on one of these?

1998 306 1.9DT

Last edited by Chris_300; 04-03-10 at 02:24 PM.
Chris_300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-10, 06:24 PM   #2

Is there any oil in it?
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-10, 09:22 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyswollocks
Is there any oil in it?
As swollocks said OIL? I think you could have run low on oil and the bearings have gone! Seen it on numerous renaults and opel/vauxhalls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Diesel do nicely

derv306 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-10, 09:54 PM   #4
Inactive User

Plenty of oil in it, blue smoke too, not black as I said before. Just waiting for a video to upload to youtube and then I'll post the link.

Will say it doesn't sound like it's coming from the bottom end though. Got me head near the engine and it deffo sounds like top end too me
Old 04-03-10, 10:04 PM   #5
Inactive User

Here we go, quick clip of the noise
Old 04-03-10, 10:09 PM   #6
Inactive User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOd1kT0H7uQ
Old 04-03-10, 11:50 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_300
Plenty of oil in it, blue smoke too, not black as I said before. Just waiting for a video to upload to youtube and then I'll post the link.

Will say it doesn't sound like it's coming from the bottom end though. Got me head near the engine and it deffo sounds like top end too me
Sorry to say mate, I looked at the YouTube clip, and I still rekon its your big end bearings. It maybe down to a failed/blocked Oil pump.

Diesel do nicely

Old 05-03-10, 09:14 AM   #8
Inactive User

Cheers Derv, I was thinking it was terminal so I got a 90k miler for 150. Pick it up tomoz hopefully.

Is there a way to check it is the big end bearings though? I'm a stingey get when it comes to monkey motors so I'll do the cheapest fix lol
Old 05-03-10, 11:40 AM   #9
Inactive User

Send a message via MSN to toddy2
Default engine

chris,,,a 150 engine is the cheapest fix!!!

i would not bother wasting time stripping out the sump etc,,,to check.

toddy
Old 05-03-10, 01:01 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_300
Cheers Derv, I was thinking it was terminal so I got a 90k miler for 150. lol
At that price , break whoevers arm thats selling it! The hassle of the stripdown and the cost of the parts aren't worth it, cos ur lookin at probably needing the crank journals reground then fitting new shell bearings, etc....

I had to strip a Toyota Paseo engine to find that out! then couldn't get a 1.5 engine here in N.I. at reasonable money so it got a 1.3 corolla engine because the engine repairs could have totaled over 500. (needing cylinders honed, Crank reground, shell Bearings, Piston rings......I could spend all day trying to list....)

Diesel do nicely

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in